Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Total effects TFX1, TFX2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krossuser4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Total effects TFX1, TFX2 Reply with quote

What effects best use in total effects TFX1, TFX2 ..and settings (Electronic, pop, rock) - for Kronos sequencer master? thanks
Gunnar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi krossuser4,

The master effects chain is a lengthy topic and if you google for "mix bus effect chain" or "master effect chain", you should be able to find a lot of useful articles. And what you do depends very much on the music in question, but in general you'll want to do two things. Get the dynamic range under control, meaning a compressor or limiter, and touch up the frequency ranges a bit, meaning EQ.

If you have a look at the MFX/TFX section of the stock PROG and COMBI in the Kronos, you'll notice that many of them will be using "Stereo Mastering Limiter" and an Equalizer.

Also note that the TFXs apply to everything, so this is a place for subtlety Smile
krossuser4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..classic verse is: Mfx1 chorus, Mfx2 reverb, Tfx1 Eq and Tfx2: compressor or limiter. Whwn compressor best and when limitter? And what compressor you use? thanks
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Gunnar says, there are many articles you'll want to read up on. I like to put Stereo Multiband Compressor on TFX1 and the Stereo Master Limiter on TFX2. I tweak them as I need, but for now you can just try the FX presets found in the upper right dropdown.

Use your ear and judgment, which will improve after research and experimentation. What works best will vary depending on the genre, the combi, whether it's in a recording mix or with a live band, etc.
Gunnar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Like Gunnar says, there are many articles you'll want to read up on. I like to put Stereo Multiband Compressor on TFX1 and the Stereo Master Limiter on TFX2. I tweak them as I need, but for now you can just try the FX presets found in the upper right dropdown.

Use your ear and judgment, which will improve after research and experimentation. What works best will vary depending on the genre, the combi, whether it's in a recording mix or with a live band, etc.

This is a good point, because a Multiband Compressor serves also as an EQ, so for the Kronos which only has two slots on the final mix bus, it is a good choice. And it leaves an additional slot for limiter or something else.

It is a somewhat complicated effect to get a hold on though, as it can act quite unpredictably through song progressions, and it might also end up greatly affecting vocals. On my recent songs, I've used a multband compressor on the mix bus, but I spent a while getting to the stage where it actually adds value Very Happy
pete.m

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally use TFX 1 for a mastering limiter ( I have a separate compressor that I use to add to the whole mix of Kronos and any other instruments going through my mixing desk).
I sometimes make use of TFX 2 for adding some kind of overall effect to all the Kronos tracks for just part of a song. Say, for example, that I wanted the song to go through a phased effect in the middle eight. I would set up TFX 2 to do it, leaving it set to 'dry' until I needed to bring it in, and then recording a change to however 'wet' I wanted it to be in the middle eight.
Bear in mind that Kronos tracks routed to individual outputs are not altered - it's just for the main outputs.
krossuser4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks to all for answers! I saw Kronos factory demo songs too and one set is: Mfx1- Stereo Chorus, Mfx2-O-verb; Tfx1- Stereo mastering limiter, Tfx2- St. Tube PreAmp Modeling.. (?Smile .

One more question.. does any of you created real song to play on Local Radio station -- with just Kronos itself .. or you load for final mix-master Kronos song to computer (please song demos Smile thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: