Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If Kronos is PC then what are the other keyboards?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leonh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: If Kronos is PC then what are the other keyboards? Reply with quote

When I sold my Montage to get Kronos my dealer said Kronos is PC so I said then what are any other digital keyboards then don't they all have motherboards processor memory ect .
I detect faint smell of snobbery or jealousy (from people who don't own the Kronos when I hear that Very Happy
Mind you this is a Sunday topic don't take it to seriously Wink
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most other boards have dedicated proprietary embedded processor, dsp and flash memory chips etc, rather than a computer industry standard small form factor PC motherboard, HDD and peripheral connections, as in the Kronos.

Which is one, but not the only reason why most boards boot up quickly, as there "OS" is loaded directly like a BIOS in computers. On the other hand most boards aren't as open in configurability as the Kronos.
Think of the Kronos as an Intel hardware platform, with Korg proprietary synth hardware peripherals and display in a keyboard enclosure, and the operating system and software give it the Kronos "personality".

That's about the simplest analogy I can come up with. Hope that helps.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: If Kronos is PC then what are the other keyboards? Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
When I sold my Montage to get Kronos my dealer said Kronos is PC so I said then what are any other digital keyboards then don't they all have motherboards processor memory ect .
I detect faint smell of snobbery or jealousy (from people who don't own the Kronos when I hear that Very Happy
Mind you this is a Sunday topic don't take it to seriously Wink

I am not impressed by your dealer Wink

Here's my serious reply to him:

I don't agree with the statement- that ' just a PC" is a misleading simplification.

I have stated this several times. Kronos uses common PC components. But that similarity stops there.

If the K was a simple PC, every DIY person would duplicate the Kronos in a heart beat. And that has not happened.

Kronos is a sophisticated ( but is showing its age)and specialized device that operates with a Linux based kernel.

And the file system/UI/mode structure is not like my uncles 10 yr old Windows PC.

The roots of the file system/UI are actually older , possibly 20 yrs. Yes, the UI
has evolved, and has numerous bolt ons, but the roots are quite old.

Thats the picture as I see it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: