Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Next OS update: Piano-roll editor in sequencer!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it time for a Piano-roll editor in the sequencer?
Yes
84%
 84%  [ 56 ]
No
15%
 15%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 66

ando727

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Regardless of whether or not I would personally like a piano roll editor on the Kronos, I really REALLY wouldn't wait for one as chances are extremely slim it will ever arrive.

I appreciate that, Sander. I'm not waiting as much as I'm asking for Korg to consider it. I know there's a chance it'll never happen - but if that happens I will probably end up managing 50+plugins again and using few Kronos sounds because the Kronos apparently doesn't interface that well with the 64-bit operating systems and DAW software. Bit of a no win there - who wants to import wav files all the time, especially when you might still need to tweak your sounds. I think Korg has to either improve the sequencer, or improve it's compatibility with DAWs - preferably both.

It's not a crime to ask for what you'd like. Why do some people act like it's so ungrateful? (not you Sander) Personally, I didn't need the quick-layer capabilities, but I didn't bag anyone out for wanting it.
Kronos 2 88, Korg T1, Mesa Boogie Triaxis/2:90, TC G-major II.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could get by with just 50 plugins Smile
My last scan turned up 890 or something and there's a bunch more on my shopping list. I don't mean to mess with anyone's preferred workflow. For me, a DAW will always be so much easier, faster and better sounding that it's worth the "maintenance". If you really prefer using hardware, have you considered adding something like a Fantom-G, Motif or even M3/Krome to your setup? I think the sequencers in those boards have a lot going for them, though truthfully I've never used hardware sequencers much.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivePsy wrote:
How could anyone honestly vote no?

The sequencer is a hopeless embarrassment. Kronos somehow missed out on inspiring sequencing, pattern modes and simple arpeggiators. Yet the Korg production tools got those right. I guess their vision is keyboard players want a Kronos, synthesists want the production tools.

B

I use my Kronos in a live setting with various bands. I do not use the sequencer at all and I wouldn't use it if it was updated in any way. I'm quite happy with all of the updates that Korg has given the Kronos. I understand some of you really want it because that's mainly what you do with your Kronos. You have to understand that this poll will be slanted toward those who want it because most of those who could care less won't even bother to even check this thread out, never mind vote on it.

My guess is that there would be a lot of code that would have to be written to create a piano roll editor. It isn't something easy enough to port over from another operating system or it probably would have been done by now. I'm sure it would be a great asset to those of you who want it, but I don't want them taking too many resources on that project so that nothing else gets done.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
timg11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with phatbuzz. Given the level of programming resources applied to the Kronos (as exhibited by the progress shown in OS 3.1), I would expect implementing a piano roll editor with usable features and quality would take years.

While a better built-in sequencer would be nice, the need can adequately met by external software for the majority of users.

As Sharp said, there are many simple fixes and missing basic functions that have been documented in this forum for issues that cannot be met by external software. See the nearly 750 posts in the "wish list" thread.

One example of a fantastic improvement that could not be accomplished by external software: User sampling.
The split/layer improvements in 3.1 may turn out to be a similar step forward, once the other bugs are solved.

As long as Korg stays in the mode of trickling out minor fixes and updates every year or so, I'd prefer they focus the limited resources on simple features and enhancements that have a big impact.

If Korg wants to revolutionize the Kronos into something that could enable incredible innovation, the "platform concept" is the way to go. Platform: Open OS environment with 3rd party app development. Its the difference between a 1998 flip phone and an iPhone.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the above post is a segueway to another topic.

It might be useful to start a discussion about " What is Open Platform"

I don't like to assume that everyone has full knowledge on architecture
and OS development strategy.

For further reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_platform
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:
My guess is that there would be a lot of code that would have to be written to create a piano roll editor. It isn't something easy enough to port over from another operating system or it probably would have been done by now.

+1
In-the-CHORD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Piano roll Reply with quote

I agree with what has been said here, I was especially surprised because it is on my M3. But if Korg is going to implement this feature do it right have the option to have each of the 16 tracks be a different color for each tracks notes, so that it will be easy to track the notes and edit each tracks notes. Having a piano roll makes it easy to change any wrong notes, and also increase or decrease durations of notes. This is especially good for very complex melodies which you may play eight majors perfectly and have one measure that has a wrong note, how frustrating. The current solution is not a complete solution. For such an expensive instrument it should have this without the piano roll you can't really call it a complete sequencer IMHO.
In-the-CHORD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Piano roll Reply with quote

I agree with what has been said here, I was especially surprised because it is on my M3. But if Korg is going to implement this feature do it right have the option to have each of the 16 tracks be a different color for each tracks notes, so that it will be easy to track the notes and edit each tracks notes. Having a piano roll makes it easy to change any wrong notes, and also increase or decrease durations of notes. This is especially good for very complex melodies which you may play eight majors perfectly and have one measure that has a wrong note, how frustrating. The current solution is not a complete solution. For such an expensive instrument it should have this without the piano roll you can't really call it a complete sequencer IMHO.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Piano roll Reply with quote

In-the-CHORD wrote:

Don't hold your breath. This request has been kicked around for 7 years Smile

Horse left the barn some time ago.
LivePsy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, some people want a piano roll. Cue the irrelevant posts from people who don't want one. Its like they want no one to have a piano roll because they personally don't want one. Why would someone want to stop others having a piano roll?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivePsy wrote:
Wow, some people want a piano roll. Cue the irrelevant posts from people who don't want one. Its like they want no one to have a piano roll because they personally don't want one. Why would someone want to stop others having a piano roll?

it isn't that. Posters with yrs of experience are skeptical that a poll here will have any effect.

You are better off calling the president of Korg and making your request.

Funding any new feature is ultimately up to him. Not us.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love a piano roll but there is zero chance of that. This is just realism.
LivePsy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the poll was "Do you think a piano roll is gonna happen" then the derailing posts would be fine. But the poll is called "Is it time for a Piano-roll editor in the sequencer?" So I"m calling you all out for not responding to the subject. Very Happy
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivePsy wrote:
If the poll was "Do you think a piano roll is gonna happen" then the derailing posts would be fine. But the poll is called "Is it time for a Piano-roll editor in the sequencer?" So I"m calling you all out for not responding to the subject. Very Happy

ok. Now what ?

LOL Wink
LivePsy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll think of a great comeback real soon !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: