Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos MIDI has dissappeared on my Win 10 computer! (solved)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timg11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Kronos MIDI has dissappeared on my Win 10 computer! (solved) Reply with quote

The MIDI ports from the Kronos have suddenly disappeared from my Windows system. The computer is Windows 10 / 64 bit version 1709

The Kronos is still enumerated in USB. Under Sound, video, and game controllers, I see:
KORG KRONOS (KORG KRONOS)
KRONOS (USB Audio Device)

I tried multiple Windows applications that use MIDI, and they all showed my other MIDI devices, but not the Kronos.

I downloaded the latest USB drivers from korg.com and installed DrvTools_1_15_r23e.exe

I rebooted the computer, and restarted the Kronos - no change.

The Korg driver utility looks like this:

I tried 32 bit, 64 bit, and Both for MIDI in settings, but none of those settings worked.

It looks like this in USBDevView:

Here are the settings in Device Manager:

What is "Device Migrated"? What is KORGUMDS?
The full information is:

Code:
Device USB\VID_0944&PID_0203&MI_03\7&32df62c6&1&0003 was migrated.
Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_0944&PID_0203&MI_03\7&32df62c6&1&0003
Class Guid: {4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0x0
Present: false

What does it mean "Present: false"? What is not present?

Can anyone look at their USB settings in Windows 10 and see if there is any difference, or anything obviously wrong in mine?
I haven't changed anything, but Microsoft is always updating Windows, so maybe that is part of it?
Anybody else having issues with Windows updates?

Edit; taking the date of the "Device Migrated" event and cross checking in the system logs, I see that KB4090914 was applied that day.
Searching on that KB takes me to this article, which implies it may have USB issues.

Edit2; I tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers - did not help.
While looking at the drivers, I found EzSetup64.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\KORG\KORG USB-MIDI Driver. It runs "Korg MIDI Driver Setup Utility". I select the Kronos, and it reports "The Device Driver was not installed properly". Still no Kronos MIDI.

Edit3: In the same folder, I ran "K_CoInst64.exe" (Co-Installer). It didn't seem to do anything. However, I then ran EzSetup64.exe again, selected the Kronos, and this time it said "The Device Driver was installed properly". Sure enough the Kronos MIDI is back!
Sheesh - I spent most of a day working on this issue. IMHO, way to difficult. I went back to the driver download to see if I missed the "README.TXT". Install instructions are this:
Quote:
If you use Korg USB-MIDI Device except Grandstage:
Run DrvTools.exe to install.

I hope this helps someone else. More detailed instructions and troubleshooting guides for the driver would be helpful.
davyyd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you timg11! Your solution (running EzSetup64.exe from the installation folder) fixed my issue with Win10 1903 not seeing any Kronos USB device. I was monitoring through MIDI OX, and after running EzSetup64.exe (which returned success), Kronos USB finally appeared.

Kronos USB MIDI was broken but is now working in Ableton Live 10 Lite & Cakewalk.

Thanks for taking the time to share your notes.
timg11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad the information was helpful.

Out of curiosity, what version of the Korg MIDI drivers were you using?
I reported this problem when r15.23e was the latest.

It would be very disappointing if the current drivers (r15.31e --- three versions later) still have this problem.

Especially since the release notes say "Supports Windows 10 May 2019 Update (V1903)"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: