Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hooking a usb keyboard controller up to the Kross?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shutoku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a bit of an update and some answers to questions.

These days I am using three keyboards live:
Yamaha CS synth
Korg Kross
Roland arranger keyboard as a midi controller

So the way I am running it the CS is on it's own (except I run it's output into the Kross mic input, so I only run cables from the Kross to the di box/mixer)

The kross covers all other sounds.

The Roland arranger is an old keyboard with a nice keybed. It is also quite light weight. I think around 15 lbs. It is midi'd to the Kross

Yes I have to run combi's in this set up. But the great thing is that by saving those combi's into the favourites with one button everything is set up except analog patches from the CS.

So since I am more or less in 4 bands plus some free lancing, and I teach music as my day job and have students using my rig, I have each bank of favourites set up for specific combis.

Bank A is for students, and typically is very specific to the songs they are doing. Especially with modern music.

Bank B is combis and programs for using the Kross on it's own, should I ever choose to do that.

Bank C is for specific gigs. For example in October I am doing a 2 or 3 song Kitaro tribute at a Buddhist Temple, so I will set all those combi's in bank C

Bank D is my regular gigging bank.
I have it set up so for the most part I run pianos and electric pianos on the Roland, hammonds, or orchestral sounds from the kross.
two of my bands don't have bass players, so I have a bass layer assigned to sw 1, so if I turn it on I have bass, turn it off I don't. (I also created a monophonic, low note priority bass patch so I can play chords and also get bass on the lowest note)

I wish the roland had another octave (it is 61 keys. I wish it had 73...enough for most piano playing, but still short enough to fit across most vehicles.
A Krome 73 would be a great choice, but for now it is out of my budget.) but there are definite advantages to having one central "brain" and multiple controllers. (I love the CS and I program it live rather than saving patches in an ios device. I like that I can shape and change the sound live and use the control panel in a musical way, so it is always out of the midi loop except if I go with just two boards, then I use the Kross as my piano and the CS as my organ etc. via midi)
six_feet_under

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asleep By Dawn wrote:
I have controlled a ms2000 with kross so I imagine the reverse is possible with just two midi cords n some setup

Asleep-By-Dawn, Im trying to setup my Kross to control a Yamaha MX-61. can you tell me more about that "simple midi cord setup"? Ideally, Im trying to send ControlChange(CC) Midi to the Yamaha from the Kross Favorites buttons, so I can setup both keyboards with a single Favorites selection.
Russell_FMC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: hooking a usb keyboard controller up to the Kross? Reply with quote

My 1st post!
Did anyone find a solution to this? I am desperately trying to connect a Nanopad 2 (USB mini B) to a Kross (USB type C printer connector type).
TIA!

Shutoku wrote:
Probably there is an adaptor of some sort, but I have an m-audio keyrig 49.
For those unfamiliar it is a pretty basic controller with pitch and mod wheels, a volume slider, octave switches, and an "edit mode" button. It draws power from the computer it is plugged into.
Is there as way to wire it to the Kross and if so how would one determine the midi channel it is sending on?
KalvinB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One solution might be using a Raspberry Pi as a midi host. I was trying to interface a M-Audio Oxygen 49 controller (USB only, no midi DIN) to a Kross 2 or Yamaha MX. I had a Raspberry Pi (3) that I wasn't using and found directions for using it as a host controller online. The RPi is relatively inexpensive ($35 US) but will require some simple programming on your part. It works fine for connecting the two keyboards using the "Jack" application on the Pi. Here's a link to basic setup:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/qsynth-fluidsynth-raspberry-pi/

You'll also have to set up midi receive channels and voices on the keyboard making the sounds.
Russell_FMC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I like that idea! I downloaded Reaper a couple of days ago & that seems to have loads more MIDI routing options than Garageband, so I'll play with that for a while & then try out the RPi if I can't make it work.

KalvinB wrote:
One solution might be using a Raspberry Pi as a midi host. I was trying to interface a M-Audio Oxygen 49 controller (USB only, no midi DIN) to a Kross 2 or Yamaha MX. I had a Raspberry Pi (3) that I wasn't using and found directions for using it as a host controller online. The RPi is relatively inexpensive ($35 US) but will require some simple programming on your part. It works fine for connecting the two keyboards using the "Jack" application on the Pi. Here's a link to basic setup:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/qsynth-fluidsynth-raspberry-pi/

You'll also have to set up midi receive channels and voices on the keyboard making the sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: