Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 7 Habits Of Highly Creative People- applicable to Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
I think all us budding songwriters can relate to this......

It's a 'happening'. You get noodling, something sticks, then it grows, then it's done.
Then you play it back and you may even like it, then you think, where the hell did that come from.........and that is so satisfying.

I think I mentioned my approach. I do a pause halfway thru an original.

I check the half song with the wife and few friends. I call that my jury trial, even better, a jury pre trial.

Its a fact for me, that not everything created is going to work out. I put my time on stuff that has a good start.

My muse is dependable and spontaneity is not a problem, so a mid game break is not a distraction.

No right or wrong on the process. Each song writer should follow what is most comfortable that contributes to the satisfying end result.
arne v

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I check the half song with the wife and few friends. I call that my jury trial, even better, a jury pre trial.

Dont include your neighbours in that...hehe They might disagree. Mine did yesterday banging at the door at 2100... Embarassed
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: The 7 Habits Of Highly Creative People- applicable to Kr Reply with quote

This is really interesting. There's a few here that resonate with me:

GregC wrote:
https://artplusmarketing.com/the-7-habits-of-highly-creative-people-6cfe6471af31

1) 1. Steal Like An Artist

This is something I'm most fearful of - that at best something I create will sound derivative, and at worst, be accused of plagiarism. Something I need to let go.

Quote:

4. Be More Prolific
5. Give Yourself Permission To Suck ( my favorite)

These two fit in nicely together. Not everything has to be "perfect". It's okay to record stuff that doesn't seem perfect at the time. In retrospect, I listen to things I recorded off-hand years ago that I thought sucked and they were actually not as bad as I remember.

Quote:

6. Embrace Constraints

I like this one. It's why I keep everything simple and do most stuff with hardware. Software is a labyrinth I may never escape. Constraints lead to better creativity for me.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arne v wrote:
GregC wrote:

Dont include your neighbours in that...hehe They might disagree. Mine did yesterday banging at the door at 2100... Embarassed

LOL. you are right. I have 1 neighbor with mild interest in my originals.

Definitely, its a huge mistake to make any music noise from 9:00 pm to 8:00 am. We live in a community sub division with rules, etc, etc. This is a good thing for maintaining home value.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a truly great thread here! Thanks to all!

Number 5! I suck at it most of the time. The thing with me is, I just don't care! Well, maybe I don't. I killed my inner critic a long long time ago. I"ve listened to lots of music that I thought was absolute crap but it still was loved by millions. So hwo's to say what sucks and what doesn't. Not me anyway.

Steal like an artist. I guess. I just watched a PVR'd Elton John thing and the next say I'm trying to write like Elton. Well, the first bar might have but after that it went in it's own direction and I'm totally cool with that. I remember years ago a little know songwriter saying he's hear a song and rush off home to try and write exactly in the artist who he heard's style. Paul McCartney in the mid 60's.

#4. I'm nothing if not prolific. If I had the time I could probably write a song a day. Seriously I could. But they would all be one instrument and one vocal. That's not at all how I work. It's the orchestration that takes all the time. That and the fact that I want each track to be reasonably well played and I'd like the vocals in tune without using autotune.

Often I sit on the sofa and plunk on an unplugged electric guitar. Too many times to count I've played something and my wife would ask me who that was by. I'd tell her the truth and say it was by me. I just wrote it now. That's something I've always been able to do. I do know that that is not something everybody can do and yes, I do feel fortunate. Lately it's been the lyrics that keep songs from geting completed. Got one right now that needs words. They'll come eventually.

Like I started my response with, great thread! This is the kind of thing that keeps us musicians alive. The love of music, the love of talking about music and how it's created, and the camaraderie of the huge family of musicians that we have here.
I almost forgot the best part. The love of making music.! Embarassed
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: