Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setlist Midi Changes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Setlist Midi Changes Reply with quote

Has anyone found out if its possible to have the Setlist Page whilst in Tile Mode and be able to select the Setlist entries via midi ? and if so how is this achieved as I cant seem to find a method of doing this.

Very Happy
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting question, so I had a bit of a play around. This is what I discovered. Chances are you may already know this.

1) Open the Setlist in tile view (it doesn’t really matter what Setlist, if you have more than one).

2) By definition, each item in a Setlist corresponds to a Songbook entry.

3) Attach a Songbook code to the song -when you select that by midi (using the Korg code), the name of the selected song will appear at the top of the Setlist display, but the tile itself is not highlighted. Even if the song is on another page of the Setlist, or even a different Setlist, the display does not change other than the song name being displayed.

That’s probably not you want - in my case, I prefer to use the keyboard in Style/Song mode, and select songs from the Songbook using Korg code from my connected iPad.
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input,

What I want to do is control the Pa4x from a master keyboard and using the master to select the setlist songs. Often these setlist songs are only patches and not songbased style or .mid files.
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Remotely selection of setlist/sb-entries Reply with quote

mintjamman wrote:
.. these setlist songs are only patches and not songbased style or .mid files.

In that case I would prefer to use simple Bank-Selects/PrgChanges remotely sent via Master-Keyboardset over Control-Channel to select User-KeyboardSets instead setlists and its Sb-entries (via NRPN)!

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been able to send MIDI to select the songbook entries, but I am unable to select Setlist entries. I haven't figured out the MSB/LSB/PROGRAM combinations to do this.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Remotely selection of setlist/sb-entries Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:
I have been able to send MIDI to select the songbook entries, but I am unable to select Setlist entries. I haven't figured out the MSB/LSB/PROGRAM combinations to do this.

As SetLists always are selections from the full Book list, each selection of a Setlist entry is already a selection of a SongbookEntry, simply linked with a choosen Setlist.

There is no different result if selecting a Setlist with buttons on the control panel or remotely selecting the linked SongbookEntry per Midi-message.

So if you are able to select songbook entries per MIDI also you automatically are able to select its setlists.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintjamman wrote:
..... have the Setlist Page whilst in Tile Mode and be able to select the Setlist entries via midi

Siebenhirter is right of course, but I am not sure that your Set-list tile screen will remain displayed when you select the song via midi (which I believe is what you are asking).

Would be nice one day if we get a PA4X MIDI implementation manual Very Happy

Those manuals all stopped after the i-series. Twisted Evil

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Remotely selection of setlist/sb-entries Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
kbrkr wrote:

As SetLists always are selections from the full Book list, each selection of a Setlist entry is already a selection of a SongbookEntry, simply linked with a choosen Setlist.

There is no different result if selecting a Setlist with buttons on the control panel or remotely selecting the linked SongbookEntry per Midi-message.

So if you are able to select songbook entries per MIDI also you automatically are able to select its setlists.

I'm sorry, but I don't quite agree with you. The Songbook can have 2,000+ entries. A midi program change goes from 0-127, so there has to be a way to change banks to select the next 0-127.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:
The Songbook can have 2,000+ entries. A midi program change goes from 0-127, so there has to be a way to change banks to select the next 0-127.

That's a very very good point

@KORG - please make the MIDI implementation documentation available
redfox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
kbrkr wrote:
The Songbook can have 2,000+ entries. A midi program change goes from 0-127, so there has to be a way to change banks to select the next 0-127.

That's a very very good point

@KORG - please make the MIDI implementation documentation available

You can select a 9999 different songbook entry, I use my iPad with OnSong app for this purpose...

At page 905 of Pa4X User Manual v2.0 Korg wrote:

With SongBook Entries, you will first choose an Entry. First send (on the Control channel) an initialization string, made of the NRPN Control Change messages #99 (MSB, with value 2) and #98 (LSB, with value 64) in fast succession. Then send a selection string, made of the two Control Change messages CC#06 (Data Entry MSB) for the thousands and hundreds, and CC#38 (Data Entry LSB) for the tens and units.

After having selected the Entry, you will send a Program Change messages corresponding to the Keyboard Set (again on the Control channel). If a SongBook Entry is already selected, just send the Program Change message.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Remotely selection of setlist/sb-entries Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:
... Songbook can have 2,000+ entries. A midi program change goes from 0-127, so there has to be a way to change banks to select the next 0-127 ...

As I mentioned before, Setlists always are selections from the full Book list, so each setlist-entry is selectable the same way you select an sb-entry - and that is not via Bankselect + ProgramChange but via NRPN, as provided in implementation-chart for the selection of sb-entries.

Only in case one prefer to use setlists for simple patches it would be better to use simple Bank-Selects/PrgChanges remotely sent via Master-Keyboardset over Control-Channel to select User-KeyboardSets instead setlists and its Sb-entries.

But selecting sb-entries (setlist-entries) is not possible via program change.
PS: Amount of program-changes in Midi-systems is 2.097.152 (128´`3), because program-changes consists of msb+lsb+progrChange.
Pa1000 allows to remotely choose an amount of 2.905 KbdSets, limited by 3 groups, 11 banks, 48 KbdSets. As list of Manual Page 967 ff shows a table including MIDI data used to remotely select the Keyboard Sets on the special Control channel:
BankSelect MSB = CC00: Control Change 0 (value is 16 for Factory, 17 for User, 18 for Direct-KbdSets) +
BankSelect LSB = CC32: Control Change 32 (00 - 10 Banks) + PC: Program Change (00 - 47 KbdSets).

kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer siebenhirter.

Selecting Keyboard sets is not a valid way of selecting Songs. You would have to setup a Keyboard set for each song.

I am able to select songbook entries, but like I said, there is a 127 program limit and I need the MIDI Control Spec to determine how to select the next 127 songbook entries and so on.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintjamman wrote:
Has anyone found out if its possible to have the Setlist Page whilst in Tile Mode and be able to select the Setlist entries via midi ?

Sorry but I don't think any of this answers your original question.

Pete Very Happy
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I answered it above Pete. "Attach a Songbook code to the song -when you select that by midi (using the Korg code), the name of the selected song will appear at the top of the Setlist display, but the tile itself is not highlighted. Even if the song is on another page of the Setlist, or even a different Setlist, the display does not change other than the song name being displayed. "

You can select songs, but the Setlist display does not change.
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa4x_user wrote:
I think I answered it above Pete. "Attach a Songbook code to the song -when you select that by midi (using the Korg code), the name of the selected song will appear at the top of the Setlist display, but the tile itself is not highlighted. Even if the song is on another page of the Setlist, or even a different Setlist, the display does not change other than the song name being displayed. "

You can select songs, but the Setlist display does not change.

Apologies pa4x_user Embarassed Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: