Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

multiple midi outs setup help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pidcin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: multiple midi outs setup help Reply with quote

Hey, I have a friend coming over today with his nice keyboards and our goal is to take the song we’ve recorded into the korg Kronos and take specific midi channels from the sequencer and send them out to different synths . There will be a total of 3 different synths that we would like to assign to 3 different midi channels so we can sculpt sounds in those synths .

Can anyone help me figure out exactly how to achieve this ?

So far I understand if you send the midi out of the Kronos to a midi in of any synth it will play midi channel 1 of the sequencer through that synth . But if I send the midi thru port on said synth into the midi in outer of another synth , how do I assign a specific midi channel from the sequencer to speak to the second synth ?

Aka how do I set this up Sad

Any help would be really kind of you !

Nick
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All MIDI information is sent at a time over the wire, not just one specific channel. I would just do this:

Kronos OUT => Keyboard1 IN
Keyboard1 THRU => Keyboard2 IN
Keyboard2 THRU => Keyboard3 IN
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All midi channels will transmit, unless specific channels are disabled or left out of the loop.

So, enable your sequencer tracks to whatever midi channel you need them transmitting on and then go to each of the other keyboards and set their midi channels to whatever channel you need them to recieve on.

You can have all of Kronos midi channels transmitting to midi out and then through midi through of the next keyboard, but none of the transmitted channels make a differenc until the recieving keyboards are set up with midi channel/s to recieve on. The signals meet a closed door until you open a specific door(midi channel).

You have to find where to set midi channel on you other two keyboards andi hope they have that option available. Maybe as simple as changing the global channel of the two other keyboards to independent channels. If the keyboards can only work with one channel at a time. Some Keyboards have no multi/combi/midi-track features, which leaves them needing only a global midi channel that may or may not be changeable to any of the channels 1-16.

Things can get complicated if control change messages come through but if each keyboard has its own independent global channel, control change message complications get minimized.

Last edited by 19naia on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If another person’s reply is going to give you a better answer, it would help the reply if they knew what keyboards you will be midi connecting.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help. First part shows MIDI cable hookup. 3:45 mark shows MIDI channel settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Eu3h4kwXk

I wouldn't do the MIDI loop (like Kronos and OASYS have going). Do it just like psionic311 said: Kronos OUT to Keyboard1 IN, Keyboard1 THRU to Keyboard2 IN...THRU...IN...THRU...IN...

Also, 7min, 28sec in, this video shows how to use EXT 2 settings, for program changing external keyboards. Might be handy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNnM4Ifx0qY&t=448s
Pidcin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
This might help. First part shows MIDI cable hookup. 3:45 mark shows MIDI channel settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Eu3h4kwXk

I wouldn't do the MIDI loop (like Kronos and OASYS have going). Do it just like psionic311 said: Kronos OUT to Keyboard1 IN, Keyboard1 THRU to Keyboard2 IN...THRU...IN...THRU...IN...

Also, 7min, 28sec in, this video shows how to use EXT 2 settings, for program changing external keyboards. Might be handy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNnM4Ifx0qY&t=448s

So for example, if I wanted to capture midi channels 6, 10, and 14 . I would
Kronos OUT to Keyboard1 IN, Keyboard1 THRU to Keyboard2 IN...THRU...IN...THRU...IN...
And simply choose on each keyboard the respective midi channel to listen to?
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So for example, if I wanted to capture midi channels 6, 10, and 14 . I would
Kronos OUT to Keyboard1 IN, Keyboard1 THRU to Keyboard2 IN...THRU...IN...THRU...IN...
And simply choose on each keyboard the respective midi channel to listen to?

Yep. If your keyboard is In program, just set the receive channel in global. It shows this process in the first video. If you are in multi or sequence modes you are going to set the channel for each sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: