Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Kronos X needs a new KLM-3002, which is NLA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abrokenframe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: My Kronos X needs a new KLM-3002, which is NLA Reply with quote

I tried looking around and can't find a used one. Korg says it's no longer be produced. Do I have a giant boat anchor now? Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Ryan
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds serious

Is that the Mobo ?

Bug korg product support. Don't take the word of an employee at a parts outfit as final.

Persist
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My Kronos X needs a new KLM-3002, which is NLA Reply with quote

abrokenframe wrote:
Korg says it's no longer be produced

Hey DM fan. Who at Korg did you talk to? The manufacturer is supposed to keep a certain amount of parts in stock. You might not be able to find a used one, but have you tried a Korg authorized service center? I've tried to get certain items from places like Parts is Parts and could not. Meanwhile, my Korg repair guy was able to get the same item directly from Korg.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to rain on your parade but this seem to be a long standing problem with Korg. Parts sometime can be hard to find on any Kronos.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benny ray wrote:
Not trying to rain on your parade but this seem to be a long standing problem with Korg. Parts sometime can be hard to find on any Kronos.

Kong does not manufacture their own parts for the work stations.

For example, the keybeds are Fatars. Common components and controls are made by other manufacturers.

IOW, Korg adopted an ' assembled ' approach for Kronos and likely Tritons, etc.
They go out and acquire all the various parts and then ' assemble ' the workstation/keyboard. Roughly matching up all the puzzle pieces ( i know, crap analogy)

Other cos, such as Yamaha manufacture the parts used in the Montage. The keybed is a Yamaha keybed. I believe Nord makes their own parts. I suspect Roland manufactures many of their components.

This isn't a right and wrong thing. Its about trade offs and compromises.

Whats the diff ? Quality control and ease of service. Kronos is hard to work on.
This has been validated. As the keyboard ages, lets say 10 years, parts are no longer available. They can't be acquired because the original manufacturer has shut down that production line.

Sure, there are many Korg keyboard owners with the same board for 15 yrs.
Folks will tell me not to worry because of their history.

But I am not talking about 1990 or 2002, etc.
History does not necessarily repeat.

I think the demands of 'less weight ' of many keyboards made since 2005( pick a year) has compromised super longevity. Small components like buttons and contacts and joysticks will fail over long periods of time.
The keybed felt or contact points will certainly decline or wear out due to heavy repeated use.

No panic here. Just that I believe in setting expectations of keyboard life and available components with some range of accuracy.

If you blow thru keyboards every 2 or 3 years , you won't care about this chat.

I am 1 of those die hard owners, keeping the same keyboard 5-10 yrs.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... Now i am even more amazed at how much resale value korg boards like Triton Extreme still hold.
If the parts issue is real, how are korg workstations able to hold their value so well going as far back as the Triton series?

Are they a fad thing among avant-garde boat anchor enthusiast who think synth keyboards look more stylish as boat anchors?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
For example, the keybeds are Fatars.

The RH3 is not made by Fatar.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abrokenframe wrote:
I tried looking around and can't find a used one. Korg says it's no longer be produced.

This seems highly illogical, since they continue to manufacture the new K2. I seriously doubt that Korg is out of replacement components which continue to be installed in new units and still selling them in good amounts.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
GregC wrote:
For example, the keybeds are Fatars.

The RH3 is not made by Fatar.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=63997&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

You might be right. I had that fatar origin misconception (?) for some time.
From various posts ( that did go back and forth)

Anyway, I don't have a problem with the 88 RH3.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
abrokenframe wrote:
I tried looking around and can't find a used one. Korg says it's no longer be produced.

This seems highly illogical, since they continue to manufacture the new K2. I seriously doubt that Korg is out of replacement components which continue to be installed in new units and still selling them in good amounts.

I don't know if its that simple. The parts inventory for assembly is likely stored
in a central location or 2 , wherever Korg has decided to have the assembly
operation. Lets say the assembly operation is in Japan.

Parts inventory for repair is another bucket, possibly hundreds of 'buckets' around the world, possibly controlled and managed by country distributors.

The individual auth service centers are independent businesses from what I see here in the US. They cover many manufacturers , not just Korg.

I would be surprised if the any auth service center had a big supply of the various Kronos components. If anything, they keep meager parts inventory. Thus when there is a part need , they have to go out and acquire the new part.

I suspect there is quite a process for parts for service. It would be great if someone could be articulate about this vs my 'guess work '.
degaffman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: My Kronos X needs a new KLM-3002, which is NLA Reply with quote

abrokenframe wrote:
I tried looking around and can't find a used one. Korg says it's no longer be produced. Do I have a giant boat anchor now? Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan, I've got an Intel D525MW motherboard - that was the motherboard used in the Kronos X. I purchased it new some time ago when I previously owned an original Kronos - it's still in the foil package sealed with the Intel sticker. I've also got a new fan (that was supposed to be much quieter than the Kronos fan) and some extra memory. PM me if you're interested in the motherboard - I recently purchased a Kronos again but I might part with the part. Also - if you search eBay for D525MW, you can get a used one from seller juluplus - he's got 99% favorable feedback and has sold 600+ of them. A new one on eBay will run you $150 ( I paid about $110 for mine).
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
KK wrote:
abrokenframe wrote:

I don't know if its that simple. The parts inventory for assembly is likely stored
in a central location or 2 , wherever Korg has decided to have the assembly
operation. Lets say the assembly operation is in Japan.

Parts inventory for repair is another bucket, possibly hundreds of 'buckets' around the world, possibly controlled and managed by country distributors.

The individual auth service centers are independent businesses from what I see here in the US. They cover many manufacturers , not just Korg.

I would be surprised if the any auth service center had a big supply of the various Kronos components. If anything, they keep meager parts inventory. Thus when there is a part need , they have to go out and acquire the new part.

I suspect there is quite a process for parts for service. It would be great if someone could be articulate about this vs my 'guess work '.

I run a repair shop and the way I do inventory is when a product begins to show a certain part is often needed I will stock more of them. Primarily to reduce the frequency of ordering parts. After awhile, you get pretty familiar with what to stock. Of course very expensive parts such as digital boards we do not stock. Usually we can order it and get it quickly enough.

Some parts may be used in a bunch of different products and will be available for a very long time. Like the Yamaha keybed/parts in the DX-7. They were used all the way to the Motif ES.

We are finding a lot of parts from products made in the 90's being no longer available. In some cases, even early 2000's. If it's a popular and more expensive product, I will try to order as many as I can find to keep them working. Recently we discovered a part (DAC) was no longer available for a 2004 keyboard that was the top of the line. I found some in the UK and order a bunch of them. We will be able to keep them going for awhile longer.

I usually tell people to expect a keyboard to last 15 years. Many have a 3 to 5 year warranty and the 10 parts inventory model. After that, it's anybody's guess. If it's a well built product and it's cared for, it can last way longer than that. I have a Yamaha FX-1 that was made in 1983 still going strong!

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
abrokenframe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the responses everyone! I called Parts is Parts and they said NLA from Korg. Then I called Korg USA and they said no longer produced by their supplier. However, the lady said she would reach out to Japan to ask some Service Manager what my options are. Haven't heard back yet.

The other concerning thing is the service manual has an asterisk next to the KLM-3002 P/N saying "It is necessary to write the system in the factory". Hopefully this doesn't mean you can't just plug and play.
abrokenframe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My Kronos X needs a new KLM-3002, which is NLA Reply with quote

degaffman wrote:

Ryan, I've got an Intel D525MW motherboard - that was the motherboard used in the Kronos X. I purchased it new some time ago when I previously owned an original Kronos - it's still in the foil package sealed with the Intel sticker. I've also got a new fan (that was supposed to be much quieter than the Kronos fan) and some extra memory. PM me if you're interested in the motherboard - I recently purchased a Kronos again but I might part with the part. Also - if you search eBay for D525MW, you can get a used one from seller juluplus - he's got 99% favorable feedback and has sold 600+ of them. A new one on eBay will run you $150 ( I paid about $110 for mine).

KLM-3002 is not the MB. It's the board that holds the USB in connectors on the back. They call it the "main board" P/N 200109263002 as seen on page 6 of the service manual.

[/img]
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the reliability of Korg Keyboards, and a really hope I'm not jinxing mysef here, but I've got a Wavestation EX and a Triton Pro X that I'm still using in my studio and they, knock on wood, still work great.
My
First gen Kronos 73 key is pushing 7 years now. If she bites the bullet I'm gonna be angry. You don't want to see me angry! Evil
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: