Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Gadget for Nintendo Switch date and price announced

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Korg Gadget for Nintendo Switch date and price announced Reply with quote

The release date and price for Gadget on Nintendo Switch:

Gadget for iOS is $40 but the added Switch price comes from Kamata, a chiptune synthesizer, that's packaged with the purchase. You would have to buy Kamata on iOS for $15 so technically it's price drops down to $8 for buying Gadget on Switch.

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's coming up on my Switch for a release of the 26th of this month for 38.99 Euro. 559MB Download.

Is it possible to midi into the Switch over the USB C connection?

Sharp.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
It's coming up on my Switch for a release of the 26th of this month for 38.99 Euro. 559MB Download.

Sharp.

No word on a midi interface anywhere on the web, i guess we will have to wait for release to know for sure..

But there is a 4 player multimode...
Sounds more like a game then a true musical thing...
But thne if they can make it feel like nakin music together, it could be kinda cool.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want this.

I want it so very much.

But please, for the love of little soundwaves, in cartridge format.

It's not that damn hard.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Sharp.

You have a Nintendo Switch, Sharp? That's awesome! Didn't know it was listed in the eShop till you pointed it out. Can confirm that it will be a file size of 559MB available for download on the 26th.

There are no stirrings of MIDI support that I know of. It's probably possible to develop a controller for it... Since the Switch is just an NVIDIA Shield with a different operating system, I did a search to see if MIDI works for that tablet and it does! https://www.androidcentral.com/nvidia-shield-tablet-update-brings-professional-audio-enhancements-and-more

There might be a market then for a company to develop a MIDI controller for Switch.

Other questions are yet to be answered... will the Switch be able to import or export MIDI files or SMF? What about exporting audio stems, or the whole project as a .gdproj2 file? Will it have online support like Allihoopa or GadgetCloud?

I think we can reasonably assume that it can bounce a stereo downmix to a microSD card.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:

Other questions are yet to be answered... will the Switch be able to import or export MIDI files or SMF? What about exporting audio stems, or the whole project as a .gdproj2 file? Will it have online support like Allihoopa or GadgetCloud?

I think we can reasonably assume that it can bounce a stereo downmix to a microSD card.

CAN'T export MIDI and obviously not SMF by extension
CAN'T export audio stems
CAN'T export a stereo downmix to microSD
CAN'T export the project file for integration with Mac/iOS
NO online support which means no integration with Soundcloud or Allihoopa
LIMITED touch support. You can play keyboard and pads but you can't enter notes on the piano roll via touch or change synth parameters via touch. This is pretty crazy considering the Switch screen is 10 part multitouch...

One thing it can do is trade songs between two different Switches running the software over local wireless. Can't trade songs online though.

Source: https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/sections/360000126903-FAQ

so... wow. I'm going to hold off for a little bit before buying... if I buy it at all now. Lack of song export (much less stems) is a dealbreaker. Maybe I would be cool if there were an easy way to record through the digital out but we already know there isn't.
Still don't know other things like how many instrument tracks you can create and how well the Switch handles the software in general.

Last edited by CharlesFerraro on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
would be cool if there were an easy way to record through the digital out but we already know there isn't.

A very helpful user on reddit posted: https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Extractor-Optical-Splitter-Converter/dp/B06XDNJ6RM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1524750911&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+audio+extractor&psc=1

As of now that would be the best way to pull Gadget audio off the Switch. Would still be way too time consuming to solo and recording each track individually just so you can mix stems in your main DAW.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Kind of disapointing.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up pulling the trigger on it anyway and it's not the most disappointing thing in the world. My two gripes are no MIDI export which hinders it's utility as a sketchpad and also it doesn't have a global limiter or track inserts which would really help with mixing.

Those things aside I'm pleased with the Gadgets themselves. The chiptune gadgets are particularly impressive. It can't do anything the Kronos can't do as far as I know, but the little gizmos encourage sound design in ways you might not have tried with a more full fledged synth. The limitations help with creativity.

Oh and automation is a lot of fun but editing the automation is an area that could really use touch control.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of export dropped it like a rock in my world, from "want now" to "gotta wax my cactus first".

Gadget's strongest use case on any mobile platform is mobile sketching, followed by full studio treatment. Pretty much the same goes for any similar thing. Other than that it's a (possibly) fun toy with massive competitors called the iOS version, and Caustic, and sunvox, and all the other tools that will run on your smartphone.

By way of contrast, the KDJ-ONE is in production now, and they released a beta version of an android app for it. It supports audio and MIDI export, as well as mixdowns.

They need to step up their game before the Switch Gadget impresses me.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard of Caustic through Reddit and I was really impressed with the synth options when I looked it up. Unfortunately I don't like using my phone for much else besides phoning. If Caustic were on Switch I would've been super down to get it.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, if you want to play with Caustic for free, you can download it for Windows at least - not sure about other platforms.

I think it's worth a shot.

It's not perfect, but it's a good Android competitor to Gadget on iOS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: