Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Original Kronos 61 key not starting up anymore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qqquartzzz.

You may be on the right track with suspecting the ssd and replacing it may resolve the matter.
Don’t forget, it may need to be authorised.(Parameter Guide P 1136).

As the sata cable has been replaced,it may be worth trying it in the other sata port on the mobo.
It could be faulty,or just being awkward... Wink
Usually,on a single ssd Kronos,either port can be used, but on a dual drive, the boot ssd must be in port 0.

Assuming you have the original DVD disks, they should not present any problems,unless they’re damaged.
It will install the original os and further updates will be required…..you can install the latest version without any of the intermediate ones.
(Or whichever one you choose to use).

Further to previous posts regarding Test Mode.
This is meant for testing various functions following a successful boot and is not meant as a full diagnostic method for everything,so it wouldn't help
in this case.

Boot error messages may be displayed on screen during its process which could indicate a problem.

I have no idea what “19 keybed” error means, though.
You could contact Korg support for some advice regarding this,I'm sure they would help.

Good Luck.
Do keep us informed.

Best Wishes.
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I put kind of everything I've done so far to try and fix my "19,keyboard" error. I only saw one other post about this error on the forums and they took it to a servicer and had it fixed there. They didn't explain how they fixed it unfortunately. But sometimes when you get stuff back, you're just happy it's working. Much rejoicing and all that.
If you can direct me to the other thread, I'll be happy to post my resolution there as well.
All in the spirit of helping Smile

Falcon2e wrote:
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I'm a little confused reading this post. I noticed you mentioned "19 key bed" error. There is another post about "19 key bed". Did you want to post your question here, or join in on "My Kronos has died..19 key bed error"?

Good luck, let us know if you solve your issue.
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Pedro. Some very important information. Much appreciated.
Nice to know that the Tools Menu can only be accessed after a full boot.
Might save a bunch of others from trying. Dats great.
And the info about the DVD's; helpful as well. They're factory discs so I can only assume they are ok. They seem to load everything ok. I even get "All checksums passed" and "Install Verified" but I still come up with the "19,keyboard" error about half way through the boot up process.
A new SSD is installed and I'm currently doing the full install / format once again.
...and the beat goes on... I'll let ya's know.
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New hard drive installed. Full format / Full Install done.
Asks for reauth code. Put it on a USB. Hit Enter. Says all is successful. Turn it off and on again.
Boots up. Asks for reauth code again??? Do the same thing.
And again..and again. Unit won't reauth. Quadruple checked the code and the file. Still won't reauth.
I guess its going into service. I am now sad ..

(Update) Just so everyone can see what the motherboard returns as an error message regarding the Reauth. I think this was a conflict with the Kronos 2.0.2 installer version and the MOBO that was installed in my Kronos61. I haven't tried it yet, but, if I decide to put the new SSD in, this problem will go away. Since the 3.0.2 installer will find the "pairfact3" file. Just thinking out loud. This is a project for another day.

IMG_20180501_085125_1

Last edited by qqquartzzz on Thu May 03, 2018 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the SSD will have altered the hardware profile. The Kronos' generates its Public ID from the hardware profile, so now this doesn't match the authorisation codes for the factory libraries, hence the reauthorisation message. Copy the Public ID and go to:

http://www.korg.com/kronos/

to get the re-authorisation file, and instructions. If not already done, it will be necessary to register first.

qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I did this. It was actually the exact same Public ID from when before I replaced the SSD. Re-registered the unit. Downloaded a brand new reauth file. And it still keeps generating the the reauth protocol over and over.
It says reauth is successful, but it just keeps coming back and asking for it.
I also goto www.korg.com/kronos and I see nowhere to obtain a new code.
So I did it from shop.korg.com
Is there a link on the www.korg.com/kronos I'm missing?
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so disappointing to learn you're still having problems with this ongoing frustrating saga.

It seems as if you've done all that you can,so far,without further service assistance.
The only thing I can suggest is that you contact Korg support and provide all the relevent information,then ask for their help,before considering a service centre route.
(Either via email or by phone).

There may be a simple (?) solution regarding the re-authorisation process itself..they can enter into this side of things and possibly sort it out.

Obviously you've got the code from your account,but I'm not sure how you re registered the Kronos....??
Did you delete the existing one and entered another ?

Was the new authorisation code different from the original found on the account ?

Forgive the questions....I'm curious.....and it may also help others etc.

By the way....Did you try the other sata port ?(Just on the off chance).

Best Wishes.
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the re-auth is a really weird one as far as I'm concerned.
It gave me the same Public ID when I installed the new drive.
I went so far as to re-register the unit at korg.com and downloaded a new auth code for the USB stick. I did delete my old registration and re-register it there.
Used the same PUBLIC ID since it was the same for both SSDs. Still wouldn't kick in.
So the new drive wouldn't get pass re-auth.
The original drive doesn't ask for authorization but it won't get passed the "19,keybed" error that occurs half way through boot up.

I tried both SATA ports. With different cables. Tried both power supply connections. Replaced the RAM. Double checked the jumpers and connections with a great pic someone took of the MOBO on here.
I'm completely stumped.
One thing that really struck me as odd. When it was originally working, the SSD was plugged into the SATA-2 port. I thought that would only work with a secondary hard drive. I have it plugged into the SATA-1 port now but it still causes the same errors.
Off to service it goes. Obviously beyond my capacity to fix. I could replace the MOBO but if that needs to be done, I'd rather just pay someone to do it.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional info,appreciate the details.

I would still try contacting Korg Support before taking it to a service centre.
They're usually very good with helping out.

However,it'll be totally understandable if you've had enough with your own troubleshooting efforts and choose the service centre route.

Best Wishes.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qqquartzzz wrote:
Yeah the re-auth is a really weird one as far as I'm concerned.
It gave me the same Public ID when I installed the new drive.

One simple question ... did you used Kronos 2 installation DVDs for this Kronos 1 ?
If yes , then try to find original K1 DVDs , else re-authorization will not work !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the DVD's from JAM Ind. in Quebec, Canada. They weren't the ones that originally came with the unit since the original owner couldn't find them.
They come with installer version 2.0.2 and seem to install in the unit fine.
ALL CHECKSUMS PASSED and verified install.

Tried again last night with a DVD drive with it's own power instead of a USB only mini DVD drive.
Same message on initial boot; "19,keybed".
The new 120GB SSD I bought still won't get passed Re-Auth.
Same PUBLIC ID as original when it was working.
Firmware version - 6.0.4

Getting ready to type up my complete "New Kronos Owner Tries To Format And Fully Install And Mucks It Up" report for the servicer I'm going to take it to.
Because I really don't know what else to try on my own other than replacing the MOBO.
Maybe I'll type it up here. This is about to get a little long winded. I apologize but hopefully in the end, it might help someone else.

When I decided I was going to do a full install / format. I booted it up and took a picture of the Public ID. Just in case. Unit ran fine. OS 3.1.2. Not sure of Firmware version. The only reason I wanted to do a full format was that the previous owner left a little bit of a mess behind. And since I really hadn't done anything yet, I wanted to start from complete scratch.
After I did the boot stated above, I shut it down, inserted the DVD drive, fired it up. Unit did full install/format with both DVD's. Turned it off. Waited for some time and fired it up. Then the "19,keybed" error half way through boot up.

It strikes me as odd that the Kronos booted up just fine, then notta. It wasn't moved, jostled, ridiculed or had any hot liquids poured in it.
After replacing RAM, SSD, SATA cable, checking all connections, making sure the jumpers were on the right posts, both SATA ports with different cables, two different DVD drives, updating firmware to 6.0.4, trying to hack my way to the Tools Menu (which I found out was pointless unless I could boot up) I really am at a loss.

The only thing I can think of is:
A/ The MOBO is pooched..maybe. But if it was, I don't think the unit would even boot half way, if at all.
B/ I need to find a way to install 3.0.3 or 3.1.2 without getting the unit to boot completely. I'm thinking there's a secret handshake of Enter+?+?+something while I Yoga my hands and turn the unit on with my nose. That will allow access to some menu or mode that will allow this to happen. But unless I go to Korg School, I won't be privy to that.

I think this is all I can say for now. I'll let you know how I make out and again, maybe, all this verbal diarrhea might help someone down the road.
Slainte!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qqquartzzz wrote:
I ordered the DVD's from JAM Ind. in Quebec, Canada. They weren't the ones that originally came with the unit since the original owner couldn't find them.

Tried again last night with a DVD drive with it's own power instead of a USB only mini DVD drive.

quite an exhaustive trail/error process.

Did your USB drive ever work with your K ?

K's are finicky about external DVD drives. Its remotely possible that you are getting a bogus error message while your K does not like the USB DVD drive

Always 1 more thing
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Pics Reply with quote

Here are the pics...

IMG_20180424_071939_1

IMG_20180424_064320
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried two drives. One is an LG Mini Drive that needs USB power.
The other was a PC drive with its own independent power.
Too bad there wasn't a way to mount the files to a USB stick and load them in that way. Or is there....? I haven't tried that yet. Hmmm...

GregC wrote:
qqquartzzz wrote:

K's are finicky about external DVD drives. Its remotely possible that you are getting a bogus error message while your K does not like the USB DVD drive

Always 1 more thing
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qqquartzzz wrote:
I tried two drives. One is an LG Mini Drive that needs USB power.
The other was a PC drive with its own independent power.
Too bad there wasn't a way to mount the files to a USB stick and load them in that way. Or is there....? I haven't tried that yet. Hmmm...

GregC wrote:
qqquartzzz wrote:

Always 1 more thing

I wouldn't take the time to copy files from the DVD drive/discs to a USB stick.

When the K boots it does not pick up files from the USB stick

You could google this forum for posts about the K's fickleness on DVD drives

At least, it removes another possibility.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: