Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading Song or pressing Locate sends out a 00 Prog Change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIDI_1984

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Loading Song or pressing Locate sends out a 00 Prog Change Reply with quote

So I have a guitar effects rack that is connected to the Kronos's MIDI Out so that I can send program changes to the rack at the start and during songs etc. However, for some reason, every time I load a long or hit the Locate button, my QudraVerb goes to program 00. I don't know if this is going to every channel as this is the only external midi device I have connected. But I know the QudraVerb is on MIDI channel 7. I'm having some trouble tracking down the cause of this behavior, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

Thanks!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this applies to your issue.

Go to Global mode and open the Midi tab to see the page options.

Look for the Midi filters section and turn off the “enable program changes”.

Also in song mode, go into your song and look for the Track parameters and then open the Midi page. Look for which Track is set to channel 7. The track should be set to INT but if you are not using that track or its midi channel, then turn it off.
The tracks also have “enable program change” settings. Go to the midi filters page in your song and look for the track using midi Channel 7 and set it to disable program change.

Another thing is you can look at the features of your guitar effects rack to see if it has the option to disable program change in it.

I set the global settings on my kronos and my Boss external device. My Boss uses two midi channels at once. And sometimes the boss changes kronos programs in a combi timbre and sometimes the ipad app changes programs in kronos. It happens when my global midi setting is set “Auto midi”. Imprefer auto midi when syncing karma, boss external device and the rest of kronos. It lets me easily get them all responding to the same control with one input. But the side effect is that i get stray program changes slipping through to where they are not wanted.
Is your global Midi page setup showing “midi Clock” set to internal? “Auto midi? or what?
I suspect auto midi may have quirks about it where it does what it wants even when you do have midi filters set up to block certain messages. I think it even chooses, on its own, which device is in control based on where input is coming from. And then there is midi loop back that confuses me and i am not sure how that goes when in auto midi for global midi clock setting.
MIDI_1984

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I want to keep Program Change enabled as I do have intentional program changes and control changes in my sequences being sent to the effects rack and they work just fine. It's just the behavior that is setting the effects rack to Program 00 even before the song starts. It happens the second the song is loaded from Memory and it happens every time I hit the Locate button.

I found the following in the Parameter Guide:

"When you select another song or return to the beginning of the song, the program change, volume, panpot, portamento, sends 1 and 2, post IFX pan, and post IFX sends 1 and 2 of each MIDI track set to EXT will be transmitted via MIDI."

This is exactly what is happening to me. I had already turned off "Combination Change" in the Global MIDI Filter settings but this did not stop the behavior. I will try turning off "Bank Change" as well when I get home to see if that helps. Strange behavior to say the least.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDI_1984 wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I want to keep Program Change enabled as I do have intentional program changes and control changes in my sequences being sent to the effects rack and they work just fine. It's just the behavior that is setting the effects rack to Program 00 even before the song starts. It happens the second the song is loaded from Memory and it happens every time I hit the Locate button.

I found the following in the Parameter Guide:

"When you select another song or return to the beginning of the song, the program change, volume, panpot, portamento, sends 1 and 2, post IFX pan, and post IFX sends 1 and 2 of each MIDI track set to EXT will be transmitted via MIDI."

This is exactly what is happening to me. I had already turned off "Combination Change" in the Global MIDI Filter settings but this did not stop the behavior. I will try turning off "Bank Change" as well when I get home to see if that helps. Strange behavior to say the least.

I know what you mean. I had similar but less disruptive issues in combi. I simply gave up on finding a way around it and when i get the program change disruptions, i just enter the next combi and then return for a reset to how it was written in. Sometimes the Boss device changes the ipad app patches and sometimes the ipad app changes the kronos timbre programs. And also in my case i have to keep auto midi clock on for other purposes and then just put up with the runaway patch and program changes that auto midi allows. At least i know now how to go right away to bring all back in place within a few seconds.

Sounds like what is going on in song mode is more complex. I would like to learn from anything you figure out about it.
Thanks.
MIDI_1984

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out what's happening and found a workaround. It was staring me in the face the whole time (kicking myself).

Since I wasn't using Track 7/Midi Ch 7 to drive any internal Kronos sounds, I kept the Volume at zero and left the default sound on I-000 (Berlin Grand).

So when the playhead is at the start of the song, by default it sends out a Program Change for every Midi Channel based on what program is set on each track.
Since I can't figure out how to turn that feature off by track, as a workaround I just set the program to the number I want the effects rack to be on for Track 7/Midi Ch 7.
Works like a charm. But still wish I could shut that initial program change off in the first place.

I'm surprised I didn't figure out that behavior sooner. Thanks for joining me on this journey.
MIDI_1984

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:47 am    Post subject: Fix was Global MIDI Song Track - "from External Seq&quo Reply with quote

So this is an old issue that has been affecting me for a while now. The problem was that I am sending program changes to effect processors via control changes in a sequence, but whenever I'd hit the locate key or change the song, it would send out a program change to whatever sound program was loaded to that particular track, even if wasn't using that track internally.

The fix I finally discovered today was to go into Global mode > MIDI > SEQ MIDI Out Setup. Here I modified Song Track from "for Master" to "for External Seq". Then I set the Track's MIDI Mode to EXT (manual states any mode other than INT).

Now I do not get a problem change sent on that channel when hitting Locate or changing songs. And my Program Changes that are programmed in the sequences work just fine.

Just thought I'd let the community know.

Korg Kronos ROCKS!
yeskeys

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is sort of related - I have a midi cable (5 pin DIN) from the output of my Kronos to the input of my MatrixBrute. I power them both up simultaneously from a switchable power strip.

Without fail, the MB gets some glitchy stuff going on due to the midi connection, meaning the Kronos is sending stuff out when it boots up (usually in Program mode). I haven't bothered to put a midiscope on it to see what it's sending.

I used to use a program on my Mac called MidiScope (this was back in the late 80's). Now I have to use Logic to analyze midi events. Is there a better tool out now? iOS or OSX
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: