Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Kronos X needs a new KLM-3002, which is NLA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
Regarding the reliability of Korg Keyboards, and a really hope I'm not jinxing mysef here, but I've got a Wavestation EX and a Triton Pro X that I'm still using in my studio and they, knock on wood, still work great.
My
First gen Kronos 73 key is pushing 7 years now. If she bites the bullet I'm gonna be angry. You don't want to see me angry! Evil

There's a big bunch of us 7 yr owners, a variety of ' mileage' on each original
K

I haven't had any problems- mine is somewhat low mileage. Just the same the components are aging. Heavy K use does not seem to be a factor with the internal computer type components, mobo, etc.

I estimate us 7 year owners are fine for another year. Seeing anything beyond 1 year is almost impossible, anyway.

The only area I am concerned about is the keyboard mechanism- the various parts take a pounding and the contacts might exhibit wear. I have a local friend with a 73, heavily played and he is forceful, fat fingered on his keys. His 73 keybed exhibits heavy wear ( hard to describe, its uneven).
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nowhere near as heavy handed as I used to be. I took a break from weighted keys for more than a decade and got very used to the basic unweighted key machine. It had a lot to do with budget and the fact that my old Fender Rhodes Mark 1 bit the dust. That and not having a real piano anymore. It did take a bit to get used to the feel of the K73 but I really wanted to get back to my piano playing. There was a time when I used to break the tines in my Rhodes. Now I just wear out my hands!

The thing is, out of all of the keyboards that I've own over the years, my Korgs have seemed to stand the test of time the best.

The one that didn't was my first Korg Wavestation but I found out that it was because my case for it put too much pressure on the top of it and actually caused the internal motherboard connections somehow to to a shield inside. Myself, I think it was just a flaw in the manufacturing of that particular one but it was getting bounced around a lot when I was on tour for 3 years in the nineties in Europe. My next one has never ever shown any flaws. Korg keyboards are great.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
I' It had a lot to do with budget and the fact that my old Fender Rhodes Mark 1 bit the dust. That and not having a real piano anymore. It did take a bit to get used to the feel of the K73 but I really wanted to get back to my piano playing. There was a time when I used to break the tines in my Rhodes. Now I just wear out my hands!

I go way back. I had the Rhodes Staqe in '71:
http://www.fenderrhodes.com/pianos/mark1a.html

The Rhodes keys were like frozen mush. I had poor piano technique as I was
mostly playing B3 parts. Self taught.

I never mastered that Rhodes and sold it in '76 shortly before moving
to CA ( SF bay area) from Chicago.

I can handle the Rh3. No wizard, though.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, I'm no wizard either. I did start out by taking piano lessons when I was 7 way back in September of '62. I took lessons for just over a decade.
My Mark 1 had a sluggish action to it too. But I was a pounder way back in the dawn of time!
I guess you, like me also remember the day when electricity was finally invented! Youngsters today! I tell ya. They just don't know how easy they have it! Wink
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:

I guess you, like me also remember the day when electricity was finally invented! Youngsters today! I tell ya. They just don't know how easy they have it! Wink

electricity is a luxury ! I still remember hauling my B3/Leslie in a cart behind my Model T Wink

My dream is to find a time machine and take my Kronos with me to 1972 Smile
ITguy54

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
abrokenframe wrote:
I tried looking around and can't find a used one. Korg says it's no longer be produced.

This seems highly illogical, since they continue to manufacture the new K2. I seriously doubt that Korg is out of replacement components which continue to be installed in new units and still selling them in good amounts.

Exactly.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why do you need a new board, as opposed to repairing said board at a component level?

Another thing to keep in mind is that the number of spares produced may not be based on the total number of repairs expected, but rather the total number of faults that cannot be repaired at a component level and genuinely require a whole-board replacement. That's why there's a parts listing in the service manual Wink
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
abrokenframe

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
So why do you need a new board, as opposed to repairing said board at a component level?

Another thing to keep in mind is that the number of spares produced may not be based on the total number of repairs expected, but rather the total number of faults that cannot be repaired at a component level and genuinely require a whole-board replacement. That's why there's a parts listing in the service manual Wink

Welp. Mine caught on fire. No joke... There's about a 1/8" hole in the middle of it and half the components are destroyed. Not sure why or how this happened.

I fix a lot of vintage synths, so I'm all about repairing what I've got, but this pbc is beyond saving.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abrokenframe wrote:
There's about a 1/8" hole in the middle of it and half the components are destroyed. Not sure why or how this happened.

I fix a lot of vintage synths, so I'm all about repairing what I've got, but this pbc is beyond saving.

Ask the Korg service if they can replace it instead with a KLM-3360 (the one that is now installed in the K2s). I'm just speculating here, but maybe the KLM-3360 is in all points electronically identical to the older KLM-3002, except that it is lead-free (new PCBs must now respect this in almost every country and maybe this was not mandatory at the time the KXs were made). In other words, the older PCBs might be hard to find, but maybe the shops have plenty of newer lead-free ones.

Another possibility is that indeed the older KLM-3002 differs a bit from the K2's KLM-3360, but if so they would normally update their service manuals as connections and components would differ, and this doesn't seem to be the case (again, I'm speculating but you have nothing to lose to ask).

Take a look at one of the pics I took from mine when I did my custom color LEDs mod last year. At first sight, do you notice any obvious differences in terms of components, connectors, etc. ? If it seems identical, I would definitely ask the Korg service about getting a KLM-3360. I have a couple of other pics if you want to check them too.

https://s6.postimg.cc/jg8mkjf27/KLM-3360a.jpg

Hope this helps.
abrokenframe

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
abrokenframe wrote:
There's about a 1/8" hole in the middle of it and half the components are destroyed. Not sure why or how this happened.

Ask the Korg service if they can replace it instead with a KLM-3360 (the one that is now installed in the K2s). I'm just speculating here, but maybe the KLM-3360 is in all points electronically identical to the older KLM-3002, except that it is lead-free (new PCBs must now respect this in almost every country and maybe this was not mandatory at the time the KXs were made). In other words, the older PCBs might be hard to find, but maybe the shops have plenty of newer lead-free ones.

Another possibility is that indeed the older KLM-3002 differs a bit from the K2's KLM-3360, but if so they would normally update their service manuals as connections and components would differ, and this doesn't seem to be the case (again, I'm speculating but you have nothing to lose to ask).

Take a look at one of the pics I took from mine when I did my custom color LEDs mod last year. At first sight, do you notice any obvious differences in terms of components, connectors, etc. ? If it seems identical, I would definitely ask the Korg service about getting a KLM-3360. I have a couple of other pics if you want to check them too.

https://s6.postimg.cc/jg8mkjf27/KLM-3360a.jpg

Hope this helps.

Very helpful! Definitely looks comparable and I'll have to do some research on swapping them. But....good news! Korg just contacted me and said they found a board. It's being shipped to me next week. $275 + shipping. Thanks everyone.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Glad that Korg could solve your problem. Dancing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: