Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos Aftertouch Issue?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 88 MkII is the same - But I've got into the habit of increasing the aftertouch mod amount while programming. It helps a little, but it's still nowhere as responsive as the K61 which I used to have.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

degaffman wrote:
KK wrote:
Since I doubt that Korg will update the AT software part, I decided to fix it myself.

Can you provide more details on your modification? It's quite impressive but I wouldn't know where to start by watching the video. You said you did testing did before your purchased the hardware for your modification, how was that performed? And what hardware did you purchase, and where was it inserted it within the circuitry? I've done a bit of soldering and have opened up quite a few keyboards to address issues, but nothing like your mod. Maybe I could have a keyboard tech do it locally?

I can send you by PM the details on how to initially test your unit, so that you can then determine the electronic parts values needed for your particular Kronos. You will need a multimeter, very good patience, and not be afraid to open your unit and undo quite a few things. I personally do not recommend to go ahead with this before your warranty expires. Remember that it is very easy to damage your Kronos if you are not at ease with electronic stuff and basic testing/repairs/mods, etc. I waited a year before modifying mine to take full advantage of warranty just in case.
adamburgess

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my old Triton Extreme’s keyboard from an old SY77 and there were trimmer pots on the aftertouch board I had to adjust... Take it there’s nothing similar on the Kronos...
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos aftertouch circuit is essentially almost identical to those found on the M1, Triton, and Wavestation, and has offset and gain adjustment potentiometers. Additional components, or circuit surgery should not be necessary. I can get MIDI after touch values all the way from 0 to 127, after using the Global Aftertouch calibration method. Unless there has been a significant change in the aftertouch sensor characteristics midway through the Kronos builds, the existing circuit should be sufficient. Unless KK can convincingly describe the circuit mods and justification for them, my suggestion would be to leave things as they are.
paddyryan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a new Kronos 2 88 and have been struggling with the exact same thing.

The initial pressure required to activate aftertouch is ridiculously hard. All the calibration in the world doesn't change the minimum threshold pressure required.

If I press hard enough to activate AT, I cant play the keyboard at the same time!

Particularly when playing a chord...there is NO WAY you can generate enough key pressure to use AT! (Like the other posters said... about 6lbs pressure... so if you have a six key chord...well...do the math!)

I love this keyboard but I just may have to return it!
paddyryan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAME THING HERE! All the calibration in the world doesn't fix the fact that you have to press the hell out of the keys to reach the initial aftertouch level!

I use AT all the time and I find it unusable on my new Kronos 2 88. I may have to return it.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paddyryan wrote:
I just purchased a new Kronos 2 88 and have been struggling with the exact same thing.

The initial pressure required to activate aftertouch is ridiculously hard. All the calibration in the world doesn't change the minimum threshold pressure required.

If I press hard enough to activate AT, I cant play the keyboard at the same time!

Particularly when playing a chord...there is NO WAY you can generate enough key pressure to use AT! (Like the other posters said... about 6lbs pressure... so if you have a six key chord...well...do the math!)

I love this keyboard but I just may have to return it!

Hi there,

As I wrote earlier in this topic, I designed a solution for this but it involves a hardware DIY mod, which would of course void your warranty. Maybe you could do it next year once it expires, supposing you have basic knowledge/experience in electronics, soldering a few components, etc.

Here is a video of the mod : https://vimeo.com/260649165 - Skip to 02:00 to see how the mod improves triggering of the AT initial threshold and AT efficiency. At 02:00, I play keys using AT set to pitch increase and move a chord above pitch pressing the keys a bit harder. Then when I push a custom button to bypass the mod, the chord goes back to normal pitch (as if a standard Kronos).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: