Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New PA700 Owner...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimDavis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: New PA700 Owner... Reply with quote

Novice here...and on keyboards...

Will purchase a PA700 today just to have fun at home and bug the wife and irritate the dog since those are the only two things in life I have...

I'll research here later but I am impatient at the moment to find the answer that if PA700 can be loaded with some of those Korg's out-of-this-world sound libraries I am hearing about ???

I mean is PA700 expandable, if so to what extent?

Also a last minute WARNING !!!

I was between KROME 61 and PA700...

My goal is to make Enya, Kitaro, Enigma type of sounds with some Game of Thrones, Indiana Jones soundtrack
type of jingles and so on...

I am possibly a 3-4 out of 10 at keyboards. Am I doing the right thing with PA700 to begin with...

Thanks guys,
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Pa700 Reply with quote

The Pa700 is a great keyboard Ive had mine for 3 weeks now
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can load whatever midi or mp3 file you like ito the 700.

There is a USB port are the back of the keyboard than you use to transfer files, I currently have a 128Gb stick inserted and it sees my entire music collection with no problems.
vipinpvarghese

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Playing long will affect speaker? Reply with quote

I recently purchased PA 700 and all at family just love hearing MP3 from PA 700 Laughing
I doubt whether continues play of mp3 songs in PA 700 would eventually cause any damage to my speakers?
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lucked in and got one of the first in the UK.

Very pleased with mine.

Korg menu systems take some getting used to but are well worth the effort.

Do check out the Korg Video Manual tutorial series on Youtube.

The electronic manual is not very user friendly.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a PA700 for about a year now. The short answer is, "I love it!"

It is very powerful for sequencing, programming and just about everything else one would like to throw at it (within its limitations, of course).

I do not use the stock piano sounds for solo playing though. There is a sample of a Yamaha C5 that's been floating around these forums and it is very nice. Other than that, all of the other sounds I use are pretty much from the PA700, unless I am using MIDI to layer external sounds from older boards.

I have updated many of the styles to my tastes, loaded in styles from the PA1000, PA4X as well as other arrangers and they work very well for me.

I have not used the SMF to Style Creator Bot much because I have had hot and miss success with it. Some SMF files come across great; others not so much...

I have used a lot of different SMFs and have modified them to work in the PA700 with the factory sounds and such and they sound great. The only limitation is only having a couple of Insert EFX on more than one or two tracks. There is a workaround for that too, but I also have to remind myself that it is primarily an arranger and not a full production synth like my other ones (M50, Kross, Ensoniq VFX, etc...). The SMFs are full of life and sound great on a loudspeaker system, as well as through the on board speakers.

The sequencer itself is very powerful and works very well. The Touch Screen has become something I cannot live without, at it is also on my M50 synth. The one on the PA700 is responsive and is very fast. In fact, every operation on the PA700 seems to be very fast.

Make sure to get a screen protector for the screen...

The only thing that I do not like about the keyboard is the Line In feature; it seems to be very low compared to the volume of the sounds on the keyboard itself. I am forced to use the Guitar input for different synths when I want to use the PA700 as the 'mixer' for the other instrument. When this is chosen though, it is in mono and if you add a chorus to it, it is very obvious on piano sounds and such. Being able to make the Line In volume louder would be great (I have not found how to change that internally except to route the volume to one of the assignable knobs).

I love the weight of the board and its construction. It is sturdy but I would not want to drop it.

I use my PA700 every day in my business (nursing home ministry) and sometimes play up to 5 times a day (which makes for over 6 hours of performance each day). I will also come home after work and spend hours on it programming new MIDI files or whatever and it has not let me down thus far (again, I bought mine about a year ago).

This PA700 is easily the best arranger I have ever owned and used...

Maybe they'll make a PA788, which could be modeled after the PA588 from around 10 years ago...I'd be all over that too in my studio...
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I think he wants to know if and what external SOUNDS can be loaded into the kb. Not my area of expertise.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Soundlibraries Krome61 vs Pa700 Reply with quote

DonM wrote:
.. I think he wants to know if and what external SOUNDS can be loaded into the kb. Not my area of expertise..

If you want to work with sound libraries as you mentioned, Krome61 is definitely a better choice. That is because Pa700 is a arrangerkeyboard not suitable to handle sound libraries as it is possible with a real workstation of the type of Krome61.

Maybe here you get contradictory tips in favor of a Arrangerkeyboards, because your question you asked in the division "Discussion relating to Korg PA1000 and PA700 arrangers".

So you really get no useful answer from experts, which would advise you of a Pa700 - but Pa700 is not suitable for loading large Soundlibraries like Krome61.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think that we need to bother to much about the questions the Op posted in their starting thread.

They have not posted since March therefore they have probably decided and bought a keyboard by now.
One thing to remember is to make sure you have backed everything up, especially your custom Styles, Sounds etc before you install any Bonusware or other Sounds
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Kronos61 vs Pa700 Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
.. do not think that we need to bother .. have not posted since March ..

Sorry, unfortunately I overlooked this.

But generally: if a newcomer is asking "Am I doing the right thing with Pa700 to begin with..." an answer always should honestly take into account that the questioner gets an information about a "keyboard that should match his needs" and not be guided by the owner's pride about his own purchase decision.

That I think unfortunately often seems to be in this rubric here - again and again unnecessarily.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos61 vs Pa700 Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
Biggles wrote:
.. do not think that we need to bother .. have not posted since March ..

Sorry, unfortunately I overlooked this.

But generally: if a newcomer is asking "Am I doing the right thing with Pa700 to begin with..." an answer always should honestly take into account that the questioner gets an information about a "keyboard that should match his needs" and not be guided by the owner's pride about his own purchase decision.

That I think unfortunately often seems to be in this rubric here - again and again unnecessarily.

Maybe an answer would be better to help like this :

Eduardo_Arg wrote:
... You can't compare peaches with apples: Kronos and PA .. are different keyboards, and oriented to different job. ... you must buy a keyboard that match your need.
If you are a songwriter, perhaps PA.. will give you instant fresh ideas. If you are a composser and you are planing to perform film soundtrack, the choice must be Kronos...

Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true and apt.

As a step up from a Yamaha E series then a Korg PA makes perfect sense, its still an Arranger like the E and S series which the one considering purchaing a PA will be very used to but a PA will be of much better build quality with imho far better sounding instruments.

Whether it is the right kind of keyboard for someone more experienced is a moote point.

There again there is so much overlap between Arranger/Workstations and Synths choosing what is best for you is totally dependent on your current and probable future needs.

Just because it is an Arranger there is no need to play the accompanying instruments in a Style, I often mute them and just let the drums play, a PA is very flexible.

The trouble is one keyboard is not enough, a Kross/Krome or if funds allow a Kronos in addition to a PA marks a great setup.

Research and hands on playing are vital before any purchase.

All to often someone gets locked into a brand, I am thinking Yamaha here, and no other keyboard will do, hats off to Yamaha by them creating the beginner market with about 12 different learner models to choose from, once locked in prizing them out of thevYamaha mindset is difficult. That is what is goid now about Korg with their new EK50 an alternative to Yamaha, Roland and Casio.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true and apt.

As a step up from a Yamaha E series then a Korg PA makes perfect sense, its still an Arranger like the E and S series which the one considering purchaing a PA will be very used to but a PA will be of much better build quality with imho far better sounding instruments.

Whether it is the right kind of keyboard for someone more experienced is a moote point.

There again there is so much overlap between Arranger/Workstations and Synths choosing what is best for you is totally dependent on your current and probable future needs.

Just because it is an Arranger there is no need to play the accompanying instruments in a Style, I often mute them and just let the drums play, a PA is very flexible.

The trouble is one keyboard is not enough, a Kross/Krome or if funds allow a Kronos in addition to a PA marks a great setup.

Research and hands on playing are vital before any purchase.

All to often someone gets locked into a brand, I am thinking Yamaha here, and no other keyboard will do, hats off to Yamaha by them creating the beginner market with about 12 different learner models to choose from, once locked in prizing them out of the Yamaha mindset is difficult. That is what is goid now about Korg with their new EK50 an alternative to Yamaha, Roland and Casio.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that I failed to read all of the OP's post in the beginning. I hope that the OP made a choice that they are happy with.

I was operating on the comment made about just getting the PA700 (or going to get the PA700 the day of the post) and figured that the OP would like info from a user who has had one since September 2017 (until I saw that the post was in Nov 17...).

I think that the ultimate combination would be an arranger and a synth. I guess the type of music being explored would cause more thought being put into the type of synth to buy. In my case, I have a number to choose from but for the ethereal sounds, the Roland D-05 makes a great choice. I have one of those myself and it brings the 'new agey' sound to anything I play it with.

I have been jumping around the threads and frankly, still would love to have an OASYS. The build quality is unparalleled and the sounds are still great.

What I do not understand though is why Korg has not created something in the arranger line that would also feature KARMA...THAT would be really cool.
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: