Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vocals sound muffled

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pianoboy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Vocals sound muffled Reply with quote

First off, I don't know a lot when it comes to using the Kronos. I purchased one about a year ago, and already made a lot of instrumental stuff and never had a problem. Recently I started writing songs with lyrics. I'm using a Shure SM58 to record my vocals. When I listen to my final recording through my monitor speakers connected to my Kronos, everything sounds great, but when I take the WAV file and move it to my computer, the vocals sound pretty muffled. I assumed it was something with the EQ (of the audio tack), so I adjusted it and recorded again, only to have the same problem. Like I said, I've only had the Kronos for a year and consider myself a beginner, is there something besides the EQ I can adjust to fix this ? Would be awesome if someone can help me out.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there FX routed to the vocal tracks in the sequencer?

I have to do different EQ for each speaker type i use, doing that for all my custom made sounds. The way i EQ my sounds, they end up just right for the speakers i used but not for headphones or other size and calibre of speakers.
Usually my bass end is what gets muffled because of EQ inconsistencies from speaker set to speaker set.
Gunnar

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as 19naia says, the vocal track could be routed into an effect.

That can be either an insert effect (IFX), master effect (MFX) or total effect (TFX). Unless you set up an IFX on your own, perhaps it is a TFX because if you started your project by copying from a COMBI or PROG, most of those have a limiter and EQ on them which applies to everything.

To verify if the problem is the difference in speakers, plug you computer into your monitors and play back the .wav-file. It should sound exactly the same (assuming you've adjusted the volume). Or plug your computer's speakers into the Kronos. Or use a headset and listen individually on computer and Kronos. If it does sound the same when played from two separate sources on the same output, you know that the "problem" is a difference in the speakers themselves or the speakers position in the room.. If so, you're in for some tweaking. Google for EQ on vocals and mixing in general, and you'll find material to fill the next few months Smile

Though each speaker and each room has their individual sound and ideal EQ shape, it is generally possible to adjust things so it sounds decent on most systems.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vocals sound muffled Reply with quote

Pianoboy wrote:
First off, I don't know a lot when it comes to using the Kronos. I purchased one about a year ago, and already made a lot of instrumental stuff and never had a problem. Recently I started writing songs with lyrics. I'm using a Shure SM58 to record my vocals. When I listen to my final recording through my monitor speakers connected to my Kronos, everything sounds great, but when I take the WAV file and move it to my computer, the vocals sound pretty muffled. I assumed it was something with the EQ (of the audio tack), so I adjusted it and recorded again, only to have the same problem. Like I said, I've only had the Kronos for a year and consider myself a beginner, is there something besides the EQ I can adjust to fix this ? Would be awesome if someone can help me out.

Did youy try to sample all your mix inside the Kronos and hear what you get ?

The result depends on the speakers type : are they studio flat response speakers ? It has to be.
The voice stands on medium range. If your speakers tend to enhance mediums, you feel all is right but as soon as you transfer your mix to another system, the result is bad.
For a good result you must use specific monitoring system as Yamaha HS-8 or other brands, or specific monitoring headphones as Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro or Senheiser HD-380 Pro for instance.

You said you didn't get the same result on your computer. Did you connect your computer to the same speakers ? Did you hear your mix on the computer speakers ? On your headphones ?

When we produce any music, we have to do it on a specific monitoring system. That way we can be quite sure to get exactly what we want. Then, the result for the auditors depends on their own speakers system.
Wanting to produce a different mix for each type of speakers is a complete nonsense, of course !!!

Finally, you have to be sure that your equipment is of a sufficient quality to get the exact result you want.
Pianoboy

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: It was the headphones.... Reply with quote

First off, thanks for all your responses Liviou2004, Gunnar, and 19naia. I can't believe I did not think of this. On my computer I use Sennheiser HD 518 headphones, and on my kronos I use 2 JBL LSR308 monitor speakers. I plugged in my Sennheiser headphones into the kronos and played the wav file on there. It sounded muffled on the Kronos as well. Also I did not use any FX for the vocal track, I just plugged in my mic and kept it the way it sounds, although I do hope to eventually find the time to learn how to set up different effects for vocals. Anyway that was definitely the problem, Thanks everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: