Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI controller only records to sequence track 1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMUDGE

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: MIDI controller only records to sequence track 1 Reply with quote

I saw this question touched on in another post but here is a more fleshed out explanation of what I hope is a very simply solved MIDI problem.

I have a korg M3M and not the additional keyboard. I use a Studiologic SL 990 88 key controller with Shape/Bank Select/Program Change controls on the surface panel. It is a very basic MIDI controller. When the controller is routed through a Roland MV 8800 Production Studio, I am able to choose what MIDI channel via the MV's menu will record to what M3M sequencer track I wish. However, when the SL 990 is connected directly into the M3M, I am only able to record to the M3M's sequence track 1. I have no idea how to change MIDI channels 1-16 on the SL 990, only how to specify which incoming Global MIDI channel the M3M receives. Changing the M3M's Global channel does not affect what sequence track is active: it is always track 1.

This is a very basic controller and I am wondering if anyone can tell me if a selected Bank Select/Program Change will somehow change the controller's outgoing MIDI channel. Choosing the Bank Select on the SL 990 changes the voice bank in the M3M but not the sequencer track. This has to be very simple and I'm sure it's only a matter of my MIDI ignorance.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
SMUDGE

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon Korg. Are you telling me the M3M's sequencer is useless unless I buy the M3 controller?
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Track Select parameter on the Sequencer page is used to select what MIDI track is used for recording.
SMUDGE

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle, you are absolutely correct, and I should specify that while I can select MIDI data to channels 1-16 through the Parameter Screen, I can only arm Track 1 for recording. No matter what MIDI channel is selected it always arms Track 1 when I press rec/write.
My previous description neglected to mention that and I see how it could have been misinterpreted so I apologize. I can send data to all channels but the M3 only records to Track 1. Hopefully there is a simple solution I am missing. What I wrote (and ended up on two posts!) sounds idiotic now.
But since adressing Korg directly seems to work, any ideas Korg? Laughing

EDIT:
I needed to select the track from the dropdown menu. When synced to a Roland MV I dont have to access the M3M's dropdown menu to select a recording track. Hopefully that info is helpful to anyone using an MV with the M3M. Otherwise, thanks for your help Bald Eagle, and nevermind what I implied, Korg. Please take me back.
Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: