Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to see Kronos midi ports via USB [Resolved]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Unable to see Kronos midi ports via USB [Resolved] Reply with quote

Hey, guys.

The Kronos, connected via USB, does not appear in the midi ports list, either for the Kronos Editor or in Cubase.

Given that I'm on Windows 7 I followed the debugging path of the 10 midi devices limit debugging and have uninstalled all unused devices (show non present devices / show hidden, delete all greyed out devices, reboot, sacrifice chickens, etc.), leaving only my UR44 and the Kronos.

After all the tests, install / uninstall / reboot / etc. it's no joy for USB.

If I connect via midi cables through the UR44 Cubase can communicate with the Kronos fine, but I also want to use the standalone Kronos editor, for which they strongly advise USB (5 hours versus 5 minutes).

In device manager, the Kronos drivers report working properly. The icons are not greyed out and indicate properly that they're in use. The Korg control panel app is set to "both" (32 / 64 / both) and the Kronos shows up in the device list.

It doesn't appear that I'm hitting the 10 midi devices limit, everything reports healthy, and yet the Kronos still doesn't show up in either Cubase or the editor midi ports lists.

Does anyone who's fought these battles in Windows 7 / 64 have any insights you could offer? Would appreciate any ideas you might have for skinning this particular cat.

Thanks!
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth

Last edited by ChrisDuncan on Wed May 23, 2018 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem I had (Windows7/64) was that windows wouldn't let one of the USB drivers load because of the Driver Signature "safety" set in Windows. But if both drivers are showing up in Device Manager with no little yellow exclamation points, they should be fine.
I think the new software editor needs to have 3.1 installed on your Kronos. And the USB driver needs to be 1.5. But, and I'm not sure till I can look at it, I ended up using the 1.14 MIDI driver in Windows7/64 instead. Because I got tired of turning off the Driver Sig. Safety. Download @ http://i.korg.com/support
And everything runs now. The editor works. And I can control Reason as well as my VST synths.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qqquartzzz wrote:
The main problem I had (Windows7/64) was that windows wouldn't let one of the USB drivers load because of the Driver Signature "safety" set in Windows.

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to the help.

Yeah, everything claims to be perfectly happy and healthy, and yet no Kronos midi ports. The Kronos is a brand new unit (got it yesterday) and running 3.1. Drivers are latest and greatest, downloaded from Korg today.

I'm running out of incense to burn, and the remaining chickens have started hiding to avoid the sacrificial rites. I may have to escalate to goats.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it's working out. I'd hate to see any more livestock hurt in the proceedings Very Happy
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qqquartzzz wrote:
Hope it's working out. I'd hate to see any more livestock hurt in the proceedings Very Happy

That's okay. It comes in handy around lunchtime. Very Happy

I've given up on the editor. Based on this and my experience with their other products Korg makes some of the flakiest USB drivers out there, so it wasn't a huge surprise. I'm currently just getting stuff to it via sneaker net on a flash drive, but have ordered a usb -> ethernet dongle so I can do ftp. Everything here's on a big dhcp network so I can just plug it into the wall and be done with it.

The Kronos, on the other hand, is every bit as cool as I expected. I make a living as a software developer and we tend to be a somewhat critical lot on that front but I find the OS and functionality to be very nicely done. Lots of stuff to learn but even the deep diving is laid out in an intuitive manner.

For communicating with Cubase, a pair of midi cables does the trick with no fuss. Say what you will about ancient 8 bit protocols, old school (i.e. no computer involved) midi is always the reliable one. Plug it in and it just works.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been banging on this problem since my initial post and believe I finally have it working. I'm posting this for the benefit of anyone else who may come this way.

I'd downloaded the latest drivers, which was a dual 64/32 install program for 1.15.r23. That didn't work no matter what, and I tried it on one 64 bit box and 2 32 bit ones.

Today I remembered I had a previous version of the drivers from the Korg PadKontrol (there was midi driver flakiness back then, too). So I uninstalled the current version and installed the older one, 1.13.r6.

Partial joy. Midi Ox showed the Korg under output, but not under input. Rebooted, tried again, same results.

I then went into the config utility. It was set to 64 bit, which is appropriate since this is a 64 bit version of Windows. So, I flipped it to 32 bit and tried again. Started Midi Ox and there's the Kronos in both input and output.

I then fired up the Kronos Editor and it was able to communicate with the Kronos, sync up and fetch the patches.

The fact that it wasn't working properly in 64 bit mode and that there's no 64 bit version of the Vst plugin is probably not a coincidence. Computers and communication have never been a strength of Korg.

In any event, if you arrive here with similar problems, you may find success with a) an older version of the driver and / or b) changing the config from 64 to 32 bit mode.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: