Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth midi dongle recommendations?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenophile

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Bluetooth midi dongle recommendations? Reply with quote

I just downloaded the Kronos Remote app for iPad, and I am connecting it using the iPad Camera Connection kit to the USB B port on my Kronos 2. It would be much more convenient to use it wirelessly for performances. Does anyone have any experiences/recommendations for a Bluetooth LE Midi adapter? I was looking at the Yamaha MD-BT01 or the slightly less costly Quicco mi.1 adapters. I found some old posts describing mixed results with the Quicco adapter.

I’m wondering if something like this would work along with USB midi. I sometimes use a Studiologic SL-88 Studio controller connected to one of the USB A ports on the Kronos. I’m not sure if I can use the Kronos USB midi at the same time as the DIN midi ports. I would also like to use the Kronos for USB audio coming in the USB B port. Would this be asking too much of the Kronos USB/midi capabilities?

I would appreciate any wisdom you might have to share.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two pairs of Yamaha MD-BT01 and they work fine on kronos for normal use however, if the app is sending a lot of data they will disappoint you.

I had tried these with Soundquest Editor App and These did not workout too well (limitation of bluetooth LE protocol perhaps).
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Xenophile

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect to be doing only “slot” changes in Set List mode using the Kronos Remote app.

What looks attractive about the Quicco adapter is it’s low profile. It looks like I could leave it plugged in while transporting Kronos.

Anyone know if these midi adapters work concurrently with the USB ports?
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m surprised there weren’t more responses to this.
I bought the Quicco thing from Amazon for $45. I learned right away that it won’t work with my old iPad 2, since that tablet doesn’t support the Bluetooth 4 spec. But after downloading Quicco’s little “Piano Jukebox” app and updating the firmware on the dongle, it works really well. I can leave it plugged into my Kronos and forget about it... then get a midi connection wirelessly using most any tablet or laptop made within the last 5 years or so. So far, it feels as solid as a wire. I’m playing it into Mainstage on a MacBook Pro, playing Ivory, Omnisphere, Kontakt...
Not sure how it will hold up doing multi-channel / multi-timbral stuff. We’ll see.
MSoft

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Bluetooth midi dongle recommendations? Reply with quote

This is s**t: https://www.tomtop.com/p-v2965.html
jbeliz

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use quicco with my ipad air and pro and it works great, connected to different keyboards like Krome, Kronos and others so far so good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: