Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How important are drums ( drumTrack/Karma) for your songs ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: How important are drums ( drumTrack/Karma) for your songs ? Reply with quote

Never thought I would say this but drums are equally important, maybe
more so than than piano or guitar, on my originals.

I emphasize my context - my original songs. I don't gig. Do very
few covers. 96% of my recorded material is original material.

Karma drums, DT(drum track) and the ability to build multiple drum tracks/patterns on a Song (SEQ) using Kronos is a huge 'differentiator'.
It helps make my originals sound different.

I have the FA but the above Kronos drums are 10 times more diverse, better, etc for my stuff.

I realize, if you gig , play covers, tribute stuff, Kronos drums might simply take
up space on your SSD.

Interested in hearing from K owners on the post question.

Thanks !
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Karma, drum track and external drum machine all together in one performance or a combi.

Kronos preset patterns are really good but lack the dedicated suite of various interchangeable fills and intros. My drum machine has those and allows me to record kronos drum track midi data and then add in the drum machine’s various fills and intros, then record that back into kronos User patterns to use in Kronos or keep in Drum machine and use drum machine to drive Kronos Drum kits.
Kronos drum kits are better. My Drum machine fills, intros and endings options are superb. All working together is the best. The Drum machine has a bass engine that has the right bass to cut through the Kronos mix.

And to think i still haven’t recorded Karma patterns into the drum machine user slots, for some work over and then put the finished version into a kronos User Pattern for drum track or keep in drum Machine and use drum machine to drive kronos drum kits.

I don’t think i need anymore than that. Every synth or sample sound i play, can always use some drum backing even if it is just a single tap per measure.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
I use Karma, drum track and external drum machine all together in one performance or a combi.

Kronos preset patterns are really good but lack the dedicated suite of various interchangeable fills and intros. My drum machine has those and allows me to record kronos drum track midi data and then add in the drum machine’s various fills and intros, then record that back into kronos User patterns to use in Kronos or keep in Drum machine and use drum machine to drive Kronos Drum kits.
Kronos drum kits are better. My Drum machine fills, intros and endings options are superb. All working together is the best. The Drum machine has a bass engine that has the right bass to cut through the Kronos mix.

And to think i still haven’t recorded Karma patterns into the drum machine user slots, for some work over and then put the finished version into a kronos User Pattern for drum track or keep in drum Machine and use drum machine to drive kronos drum kits.

I don’t think i need anymore than that. Every synth or sample sound i play, can always use some drum backing even if it is just a single tap per measure.

that sounds like a strong palette for drum parts. You mentioned your drum machine in other posts, but I don't recall what you have.

its doable to tap out some basic drum rolls and fills. I do it sparingly on my originals. When I want a roll and more cymbal accents , I use a separate track for that. When adding a roll, lets say its 2 beats of a 4 beat measure, I silence or erase the corresponding drum pattern on the main drum track for the 2 beats. I use the SEQ. Overall, I make sure not to mess up my tempo or timing.

Karma drum scenes provides good variation. Some DT 's make good use of the hi-hat and have longer patterns with a cymbal crash. I recall using a DT that has a timely roll at the end of a measure 8 of an 8 measure pattern. But there aren't enough like that.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Greg, I don't gig anymore and my focus is writing and recording. And yeah, for my music drums are a critical consideration as well. Having just purchased the Kronos I'm still thinking through my workflow, parts of which I plan on testing this weekend.

My studio runs Cubase, and I have both EZ Drummer and Superior Drummer. My plan is similar to what 19naia outlined. EZ / Superior are great for building drum parts with quality fills, etc. From there I typically go in and edit the parts to add the accents and other nuances the song needs.

While ultimately the Kronos' audio output will end up in a Cubase mix, I like the idea of having the drums in the keyboard so that I have an integrated environment for working on the songs. I've been a guitarist since the 70s and never got serious about keys until now, so getting keyboard tracks polished enough to record will take some rehearsal. Having it all in the Kronos to practice with, given the high quality of drum sounds, is a great workflow for me.

I've already played around a bit with importing midi files into songs and thus far it works as I would expect - midi is midi. With that in mind, my assumption is that if I import a song with an EZ / Superior generated drum track, all I'll need to do is point the drums to the appropriate program. The only glitch I can foresee is that drum libs occasionally use different key mapping and the Kronos probably assumes GM, so I may need to do some translation before import. Other than that it should be pretty cool.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: