Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mic Setup / Subsequent Failure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davekalbach

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Mic Setup / Subsequent Failure Reply with quote

OK So my status is Extreme Newbie (New to music and to Korg)

I'm a middle aged guy who plays a little guitar and would like to record and be able to create so I purchased the Kronos.

Still in the initial setup phases, have read the Quick start and am in the process of reading the OG while I work with it.

I was looking at hooking up my mic when I found the Kronos doesn't support XLR inputs for mic.

So the genius in me said well I can use a dry output from my mixer and take that to the Kronos. Well, this didn't work. I saw a red flashing message on the Kronos (couldn't read it fast enough) I think it was the ADC Overload.

My question however is about the mic. After this event the mic no longer works at all. I can't see how an input spiking on the Kronos could possibly send a signal back through its input to a mixer and then to kill my mic.

I'm sure I'm missing something here. But the mic is completely dead, doesn't do a thing

Its an older mic, I think an previous version of the PV-1 or PV-2

New mic is ordered with 1/4 output, but what did I do????

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Dave.

I'm also brand new to Kronos but have been a working and / or studio musician since the 70s. Since I'll be asking for help here a lot, thought I should also offer it when I'm able.

The XLR is a balanced connector. The Kronos uses a balanced connector as well. It's 1/4 inch TRS (tip, ring, sleeve), the same as what you'd see on a pair of headphones.

You can buy XLR - TRS adapters for just a few bucks from Amazon, etc. Get the gender that will plug into your microphone (they make both), and then male TRS to plug into the Kronos.

That solves half the problem. The second has to do with level. A microphone puts out a different level of signal than the line level output from a mixer or instrument. Speaker level is hotter still (never plug a speaker output into a mic / line input or you may fry gear).

This is what the Mic / Line button is for on the Kronos. If you're plugging an actual mic in (after adapting from XLR), set the button to Mic. If you're taking audio out from a line level signal like the output of a CD player, you'd set the button to Line.

Once you have the mic adapter and the button set to mic, first turn the level knob all the way down. Then speak into your mic and slowly raise the level until it's as loud as you need without distortion. I'm sure there's also a meter somewhere on the Kronos to help you set the proper level, someone here will doubtless offer that info.

Once you have all this set up properly, you should be able to record audio. However, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll hear the mic input as you record. That has to do with the monitoring capabilities of the Kronos, so again more experienced folks can point you to the right direction for setting that.

At any rate, this should at least offer some clarity on mics and input. Hope it helps!
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
davekalbach

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris

I understand most of what you said, and definitely understand the connection part of it.

My real question is, how did I KILL my mic with what I did. I just don't see how and voltage could have gone backwards into the mic. But it is completely dead

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just realized I didn't really speak to your question, sorry 'bout that. The honest answer is I don't know.

The only thing that comes to mind in terms of damaging mics is phantom power (+48v). There are times when plugging / unplugging mics with phantom power engaged can damage the mic. But really I'm just guessing here.

If you sent something into the Kronos hot enough to come back and fry your mic (however that may have happened), my first concern would be the health of the Kronos itself.

As for the death of your mic, I offer the immortal wisdom of Hee Haw. "Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this!" "Then don't do that." Smile
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davekalbach wrote:
But it is completely dead

Another possibility is, "It was just his time."

Unlikely, but I work in tech and have seen stranger things.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: