Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting rid of esx2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedro666

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: getting rid of esx2 Reply with quote

im doing a gig next week then this thing is going and being replaced by an mpc,not sure which model yet.

the esx2 has so many flaws and just a stupid sequencer in regards to pattern chaining.

making patterns chain to another is ok until you want the same pattern somewhere else to chain to a different pattern,you have to make a copy.....

why not just have a list it runs through, patt 1,patt 2,pat 2, patt2,patt 5.........

so much simpler.

plus the note stealing..........jesus,24 note polyphony?????nope

samples dont play through to the next pattern,they just cut off!!!!

the audio input has no headroom on it at all!!!!

this thing is ok if you wana throw some loops into a hardware jam but as far as doing songs?...its ball ache!!!!
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree man. I upgraded to an Octatrack because the limitations were holding me back and the sample management system was too frustrating. I know the Octatrack is a lot more expensive than the E2S but you know where that extra money went once you sit down and use one, it's like an E2S on steroids.

I haven't sold my E2S yet, I still have some patterns on there that I want to import into the Octatrack, and I may keep it as I made some interesting stuff on it, but I haven't actually created anything new with it since I got the OT.
pedro666

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh ive been looking at the octotrak aswell.

the mk1 version 2nd hand is more in my price range,the mk2 is just to expensive at the moment and is worth more than my car lol
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had saved the money for a mk2 but realised I could get a mk1 for half the price 2nd hand, so done that and bought an Analog Heat with the money I saved. Great combo, couldn't be happier with it.

Going from 25mb sample size limit to 60gb on the Octatrack was a revelation. No more switching SD cards or any of that. And you can connect the OT to your computer and transfer to the card via USB so no need to remove the card at all.
Woodenshoe

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder when you say that note stealing and the lack space to save samples is an issue, it could be you just bought the wrong gear.
It all depends what you want to do with your device. For short samples and loops, I think the E2S is perfect, but with long vocals and soundscapes across several patterns it's going to be a problem.
Also, does more storage space or be more versatile lets you make better music?

Things I see and read on the Internet when it comes to complaining about this machine is just ignorance, not taking the time to learn the instrument inside out and pure frustration because lack of good results.
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodenshoe wrote:
I wonder when you say that note stealing and the lack space to save samples is an issue, it could be you just bought the wrong gear.
It all depends what you want to do with your device. For short samples and loops, I think the E2S is perfect, but with long vocals and soundscapes across several patterns it's going to be a problem.
Also, does more storage space or be more versatile lets you make better music?

Things I see and read on the Internet when it comes to complaining about this machine is just ignorance, not taking the time to learn the instrument inside out and pure frustration because lack of good results.

I can't speak for the other guy but I'm certainly not complaining out of ignorance or lack of knowledge of the machine. I bought the machine not long after it first came out, I put a lot of hours in on it and I have been an active member of this forum since the E2S was released. I was a big advocate for it and I defended it against its protractors many times.

Does more storage and increased versatility allow you to make better music? In a word, yes it does, and anyone who tries to argue otherwise is either naïve or they're deluding themselves. I made some interesting music with the E2S, but my sample sets are spread out over maybe 20 different SD cards, all of them maxed out. For one shots and very small loops it is adequate, but anyone using samples extensively is going to run into its limitations fairly quickly. I took the machine as far as I could for as long as I could, but in the end the limitations and the ridiculous file management system were holding me back, so I upgraded to an Octatrack and the superiority of that machine was evident immediately. I know you could buy four Korg machines for the price of one Octatrack, but in all honesty I would still choose the OT over four E2S machines.
pedro666

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodenshoe,ive ripped thru this thing inside out over the last 3 months and it has flaws tbat hinder making music.
I was using it to play looped samples,break beats,vocal hooks,anything really but the issue it has it has is a fault,not me miss using it.
If 6 parts are playing and each part is one note on the beggining of every bar,that is 6 note polyphony,regardless of whether its a beat bassline or vocal etc,adding another part would make it 7 note polyphony etc,but for some reason parts will start cutting out,this isnt poly related anymore,its to do with how many audio tracks or parts it can play and clearly its not 16.
Other issues,sounds not playing into the next pattern even if the same part and sound is on the next pattern,why?!?
Fx have only one parameter
24mb........this is not that old,my nokia phone has more memory
Tied. Notes sometimes will cut out
The sample load process is hardwork

Look,i really wish korg wouldiron these faults out because they are faults but looks like they wont.

This thing is great for throwing in some loops etc but using it as a full on unit is hardwork

Antway,heres my gig from other nite using it

https://www.facebook.com/finch.man.1232/posts/621799931545960

It gotme thru so i will give it that but its gotta go
Woodenshoe

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Steeplemouth & pedro666. Sorry if I was blindly assuming that it was all out of ignorance. I have seen that so many times all every single Electribe.

I think both the E2 & E2S are amazing instruments with a very steep learning curve. Most people who complained expected to just select some samples and make something out of the box on the same level as Mistabishi does. But for that, you really have to know what you're doing (but I don't have to tell you that I see now).

I fully agree about the note stealing. This is something that Korg should fix a long time ago with an update. It's definitely not a feature!! Confused

I'm going to look in that Octatrack thing. Have seen them online but always backed off because of the high price...

I'm a big groovebox fan myself. Next to the Electribe E2S, I have the ES-1, the ESX (1sd) and the MicroSampler(MS1). And I also have a Roland MC-303, an MC-505, an MC-808 and an MC-909. They're all great in their own unique way I think.

Today I bought the E2 and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow I think. Still believe in Korg despite some flaws... Embarassed

I hope you guys enjoy the Octatrack! Maybe I will buy one some day...

PS: Thank you pedro666 for sharing that Facebook link. A smile on my face when I heard "Sweet Harmony" from Liquid. I think I have that on vinyl somewhere on the attic! Very Happy It seems like you're really know what you're doing man. This sounds wicked!!!
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Woodenshoe. I know there is a lot of ignorance around these machines too, I have been defending it against such ignorance for years.

For what it's worth, I haven't sold my E2S, I have kept it and I may keep it around as I came up with some unique loops that I wouldn't have otherwise created. I loved the thing, but it just doesn't apply to the direction my music has taken.

If you're a big groovebox fan then definitely look into the Octatrack. If you think the Electribe has a steep learning curve then the OT will seem incomprehensible at first, but once you learn the basics and realise just what it is capable of, you will be blown away. Expensive unit but very much worth it if sampling and audio mangling is your thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: