Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Memory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davekalbach

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: USB Memory Reply with quote

I searched but could not find any posts on USB drives (memory sticks)

I purchased a 500G USB Drive to use as additional storage for the Kronos. However when I boot up DISK mode recognizes the USB Drive as two drives (I'm certain this is just how it is partitioned)

I have not tried formatting the USB Drive from Kronos yet. Before I do I wanted to check in here.

My concern is the two drives shown (three including the HD) each list as 177G available. Thats only 344G of a 500G Drive.

I understand loss of space for internal operating systems. But losing 156Gs????

That just doesn't seem right. The OG states the Kronos can handle up to 2 TB, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts anyone?

Just format and see what happens???

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my files seem to be saved on an 8Gig drive. I've got a hand full of short samples and a few songs, maybe I'm missing something. Do I need 500G?
davekalbach

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
All of my files seem to be saved on an 8Gig drive. I've got a hand full of short samples and a few songs, maybe I'm missing something. Do I need 500G?

Well that seems much more like a "jab" than an answer....

I purchased the Kronos2 pre-owned, It looks to be in excellent condition, seller had a 73, but upgraded to an 88.

I plan on taking the drive back to factory settings, I believe they are a 60G drive on the K2s. So I purchased a drive to be able to handle the initial back up while i reset, and maybe a future backup of the entire system.

From there I intend to learn to play a keyboard while still playing guitar.

Currently I have been taking backing tracks, and assigning each track to its own timber so I can turn on, or turn off what I want for practice, and just plain fun. I assume doing this will chew through the memory fairly quickly.

Hence I ordered a 500G USB Drive.

So, yes I'm a newbie, yes, I don't know what I'm doing, and mostly YES I love the Korg Kronos which is why I chose it and why I came to this forum

ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Dave.

I encountered similar odd numbers with a thumb drive. It was formatted fat32, which the Kronos is supposed to support. However, when I plugged it in, instead of 2 gigs it showed around 500 megs (roughly, working from memory here).

I then did a format of the drive from the Kronos. After that, Kronos recognized the full capacity of the drive and everything seems normal. Plugged it back into the computer and Windows sees the normal full size as well.

For reasons that I don't understand, Kronos wants to do the formatting. It might have to do with some subtlety arising from the fact that the Kronos OS is a custom version of Linux, and I'm using Windows.

In any event, if you're okay with losing the data on your portable USB drive, here's what I'd do. First, plug it into your computer and delete all of the partitions (I'm assuming you want one big drive). I'd probably then do a quick format from the computer just for completeness, but that's just me.

Once you've prepped it as a single drive, plug it into Kronos and do a format there. Based on my own experience, I'm thinking you'll then see the full 500 capacity.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sir...No jab intended, sorry if you took it that way. My point is, it's my understanding that if we have the Kronos factory disks, and we have our custom files saved, we're covered.
davekalbach

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris

Worked perfectly.

The Kronos still recognizes a third drive however at 177M, I can't seem to delete, or identify it via computer.

Dave

davekalbach

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
No sir...No jab intended, sorry if you took it that way. My point is, it's my understanding that if we have the Kronos factory disks, and we have our custom files saved, we're covered.

My apologies Falcon

Thats just the way some forums work. Again you have my apologies as I did take it the wrong way.

I do have the factory discs, I'm just not sure what to delete. I don't think the owner added any modules, but I don't want to lose anything.

I just want to get back factory original and then build up from there.

From what little I know it should have come with factory discs and one expansion pack EX-1 or something like that.

I'm taking my time before I decide to wipe it clean. I figured the more I know the better I'll be able to decide how and when to clear it

Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Many Kronos players are here to help with issues. Go slow regarding cleaning up your files. Many of us have made changes that have messed up our Ks (me included).

Should you choose to do a factory reset, check this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcGYbmyPksY
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davekalbach wrote:
Thanks Chris

Worked perfectly.

The Kronos still recognizes a third drive however at 177M, I can't seem to delete, or identify it via computer.

Dave

Since you bought it used, another possibility is that he added a second internal drive. It comes with one, but the motherboard has the capacity for a second one for those willing to pop the top.

Is the 177 still there when you've disconnected the USB drive?
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: