Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restore DVDs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpowell01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Restore DVDs Reply with quote

I've downloaded both Restore DVDs to my PC using Windows 10. I right clicked on the DVD1 in Windows 10 and burned the ISO file to a DVD DL (dual layer). I did the same thing for DVD2.

I started up my Korg Kronos and plugged in my DVD player which is a:

LG Ultra Slim Portable DVD Writer

I can view everything on the DVDs from the Kronos pressing the DISK button and even whenever I choose the Media Info tab to the right of Save, Load and Utility Tabs it reads the media just fine.

So my question is there some Application I should use to burnt DVD1 and DVD2 to get them to boot because right now my Kronos X 88 key won't boot from DVD1? The DVD spins up just fine as the Kronos is first starting so I know its seeing the DVD hardware and Disc.

What am I missing?

I appreciate all the help as I have read many posts on here and none of them helped me.

** Also if anybody can point me to a way of using USB Thumb Drives I am willing to try that because I have 5 extra Thumb Drives I can us.

Normally the ISO file has everything needed to tell whatever burning app how to burn the ISO but then again I used WIndows 10 Pro's burning app which doesn't give you much of anything to change.

Rob

***EDIT***

I am going to try something else because I have 4 ISO files each are named differently. The first two were downloaded provided by a link on here from the ikorg website and those DVD ISO files are named:

KORG_KRONOS_1D
KORG_KRONOS_2D

BUT the file names on the ISOs from Korg Kronos download are:

KronosKDV-003D
KronosKDV-004D

I'm not 100% certain but maybe Korg Updated ISO files for the Kronos 3x OS? and the 1D and 2D ISO files are for the 2x OS? I don't know just going to burn the 3D and 4D isos currently to see if that works. I know the DVD Player works as I can read all the files on the DVD from my Kronos. I tried a Mac USB Drive and I couldn't even view the files on the DVD with that hardware so I know this hardware is not an issue or at least shouldn't be.

Finger Crossed.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos original restore DVD format is UDF. It doesn't seem to want to boot from restore DVDs burned in ISO9660 format. It's also worth considering that the Kronos can be quite fussy when it comes to USB DVD devices for booting up. It might be fine reading the DVD when the Kronos has already booted from internal HDD or SSD, but not as a boot device.

rpowell01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The Kronos original restore DVD format is UDF. It doesn't seem to want to boot from restore DVDs burned in ISO9660 format. It's also worth considering that the Kronos can be quite fussy when it comes to USB DVD devices for booting up. It might be fine reading the DVD when the Kronos has already booted from internal HDD or SSD, but not as a boot device.

Bingo..It was the default Windows built-in burning application. I downloaded imgburn and after using that app, the Kronos X boots the DVD now.

So FYI don't use the built-in app just download imgburn which is free.

Thanks for the info.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still wondering why my attempt to boot from disc, failed.

I used the factory discs that came with the kronos brand new out of the box.
I bought a cheap chinese DVD player with USB-A port in the front.
Put in Disc 1 and followed step by step what parameter guide listed.

I ran line from USB-A of DVD player to USB-B into Kronos.

4 times at least and no boot from disc. So i returned the DVD player and forgot about trying disc boot since then.

2 days ago was power line service on my street with power outages and erratic supply. So i left my kronos off all day and night.
Then i booted up and one of my combis was sounding very altered. So i checked the programs used which were all factory programs ,User E bank slotted.
I went to compare the altered programs to disk mode factory file programs and then went back to the combi which had suddenly corrected itself. I guess Program User E bank updated itself when i was bringing in Factory file sounds to audition in Disk mode.

But the power supply issue had me thinking it could have resulted in something worse where i would need the DVD disc boot option to recover any use of kronos.
Schmooster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn’t trust Windows to burn anything that may ‘potentially’ have some copyright protection or signature embedded - or even to burn a bootable disk by default for that matter. Windows always tries to be clever on our behalf, always assuming it’s helping and saving us time - Microsoft Office for example, drives most people insane, especially Excel.

I wouldn’t worry about why it didn’t work, it’s Windows and I’m sure it’s fine for data - but I wouldn’t even use it for a movie.

Windows is a little like a woman in some respects - there’s just no point trying to understand it, it’s a mystery, even to Microsoft.

Thanks for returning to say you sorted it though - it makes me feel better about still using Windows 7..... Laughing
rpowell01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
I am still wondering why my attempt to boot from disc, failed.

I used the factory discs that came with the kronos brand new out of the box.
I bought a cheap chinese DVD player with USB-A port in the front.
Put in Disc 1 and followed step by step what parameter guide listed.

I ran line from USB-A of DVD player to USB-B into Kronos.

4 times at least and no boot from disc. So i returned the DVD player and forgot about trying disc boot since then.

2 days ago was power line service on my street with power outages and erratic supply. So i left my kronos off all day and night.
Then i booted up and one of my combis was sounding very altered. So i checked the programs used which were all factory programs ,User E bank slotted.
I went to compare the altered programs to disk mode factory file programs and then went back to the combi which had suddenly corrected itself. I guess Program User E bank updated itself when i was bringing in Factory file sounds to audition in Disk mode.

But the power supply issue had me thinking it could have resulted in something worse where i would need the DVD disc boot option to recover any use of kronos.

I don't know where you live but I got this DVD Writer/Reader from Walmart. It works fine.

Its an LG Ultra Slim Portable DVD Writer. The model number is GP55

This is the one I purchased.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-External-8x-Slim-USB-DVD-RW-Drive-Silver/26840271

Amazon has it also:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Portable-External-GP65NB60/dp/B00ODDE33U/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517611977&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=LG+GP55+DVD+Writer

Other than that the only other suggest I can give you is to load the PRELOAD.pcg file but make sure you choose NO to REMAP REFERENCE if you have a Kronos or Kronos X. If you have a Kronos 2 then you would choose YES.
rpowell01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmooster wrote:
I wouldn’t trust Windows to burn anything that may ‘potentially’ have some copyright protection or signature embedded - or even to burn a bootable disk by default for that matter. Windows always tries to be clever on our behalf, always assuming it’s helping and saving us time - Microsoft Office for example, drives most people insane, especially Excel.

I wouldn’t worry about why it didn’t work, it’s Windows and I’m sure it’s fine for data - but I wouldn’t even use it for a movie.

Windows is a little like a woman in some respects - there’s just no point trying to understand it, it’s a mystery, even to Microsoft.

Thanks for returning to say you sorted it though - it makes me feel better about still using Windows 7..... Laughing

I know better as a Retired Information Systems Management and Network Administrator. But then again I never used Windows built-in burning app. In OS X its burning app works great unlike Windows.

I switched to OS X some years ago and forgot all about Mickey Soft and fell in love with OS X. Love OS X so much I actually had it installed on my PC as a hackintosh. Easy to install. But now I have TWO MacBook Pros but I am letting my daughter use one for college and my son use the other one for his high school work. But they do understand both of them comes back to me after they have completed college...They can buy their own after they are finished!!!!

I just recently decided to install Windows back onto my beast of a machine because I haven't been on my PC in some time due to living in pain due to spine issues. But, now that I am bringing myself off these pain killers which I hate more than I hate satan I am switching over to Medical Marijuana so hopefully that will help me with my pain issues.

But I've missed playing my Kronos. I use to play in Church and I just miss playing. I have everything here at home to do whatever I want. I have Pro Tools 10, 11 and now the subscription Pro Tools 12 or should I say Pro Tools 2018.1 (they changed the way they call their versions like other companies are doing with their software), I have Propellerhead Reason 9 but going to upgrade to Reason 10 soon, I have Omnisphere 2 with many purchased patches from all over the internet, I have Refx Nexus 2 with just about all their sound expansions, and I have a Akai Studio Pro.

I'm not limited to what I have, I am just limited to using them and that is now changing. I've decided no matter what I am going to work through the pain no matter what.

Thanks for the help and I hope that I can return and help others in anyway I can.

BTW Sorry I talked too much LOL
Vkhandelwal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: restore DVD Reply with quote

I am struggling too, to boot from the restore DVD . tried multiple application (including Imgburn) to create discs and used four different DVD drive ( Samsung , LG, Lenovo and Asus.

when I boot kronos X it spins the disc in DVD drive but nothing happens post that.

Have tried powering the drive from external source too, in that case kronos did not start at all.

what am I missing here ?
Vkhandelwal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Can someone please reply Reply with quote

How to boot using the restore DVD of kronos X . have tried several things but still could not boot from restore disks
pkessee

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Kronos won't boot off dvd iso Reply with quote

I'm having the same issue....I have the Kronos X (88 key)....i got it from a pawn shop for $1700 WITH a steel case!!! But....it ONLY WORKED FOR 2 WEEKS!!! Now I'm looking at STARTUP FAIL everyday!!! I've trouble shot it for 2 weeks now and ....i've downloaded the recovery discs in iso format but....NOTHING!!!
HELP IF YOU CAN!!!!
It won't boot the isos!!!

Using a macbook pro....lg slim dvd external read/write
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iso files need to be converted into DVDs matching the file structure of the original recovery disks, using software like Imgburn, and not just copied.

The Kronos is also quite fussy about the DVD reader that's used for recovery. There are other postings relating to this on the forum. Use the forum search facility.

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos won't boot off dvd iso Reply with quote

pkessee wrote:
I'm having the same issue....I have the Kronos X (88 key)....i got it from a pawn shop for $1700 WITH a steel case!!! But....it ONLY WORKED FOR 2 WEEKS!!! Now I'm looking at STARTUP FAIL everyday!!! I've trouble shot it for 2 weeks now and ....i've downloaded the recovery discs in iso format but....NOTHING!!!
HELP IF YOU CAN!!!!
It won't boot the isos!!!

Using a macbook pro....lg slim dvd external read/write

other than a trial and error approach, I think you should take it to a service center and let them diagnose it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: