Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Running Lighting from the Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phinnin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Running Lighting from the Kronos Reply with quote

Greetings,

So I've been working on learning to run my lighting rig with the Kronos and I finally found a giant conflict that was killing my efforts. And to be clear, I didn't fix this but rather worked with the folks over at MusicPlayer.com and they helped my diagnose the issue. Specifically, I was having the kronos sending midi clock data which was making the lighting controller I use (chauvet obey 40) act all wonky. Once I killed the internal MIDI clock, everything works as intended.

Now my issue is I need to either filter the MIDI clock data (MIDI Solutions) or buy a better controller. The hope is a higher end DMX controller won't get confused by midi clock data and I'll be in business.

Which brings me to a question: Does anyone here have both a Kronos and a Elation Show Designer? If so, I'd love to see if you could run a quick diagnostic for me. That way I can know if that piece of kit will be what I need.

If any of you want any more detail about my pursuit, let me know. The plan is to make simple chases that can run with all my band's songs (we play to a click when not running sequences) and to make some elaborate light shows for the sequenced songs (big strobe hits on choruses, single spots on solo's, etc.) We'll see how it goes.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Phinnin.

I don't have experience with the Elation but thought my prior adventures might be of use.

I got away from hardware controllers and moved to a laptop / software approach because there was so much more power, also easier to design than from a typical hardware interface.

I first ran DMXIS, which is software that talks to an Entec USB -> DMX interface. It's scene based software which can do chases, etc. and the software is provided both as a standalone app and as a VST plugin.

That was reliable and worked well, but I eventually upgraded the software to their DPro which emulates a tracking controller rather than just scenes, much more powerful. It's an app only, not a plugin, and it has a lot of capability to trigger their cues via MIDI events, which is what I did.

Of course, if you're not interested in having a laptop in your setup, none of this is particularly useful. However, if you do use computers, it's a massive amount of horsepower. I used the light (free) version of Cubase so I didn't have to worry about losing a dongle, ran some backing audio tracks, MIDI tracks to control the lights, click tracks that could be routed to the drummers cans / IEMs, etc.

If you're interested in a computer based approach, I'm happy to share anything that might be helpful.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I do something very similar using DMXIS inside Cantabile (PC VST Host and audio/MIDI playback). That works very well, but it is Cantabile that is the host for the backing tracks/click. It does work a treat though.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
Hi. I do something very similar using DMXIS inside Cantabile (PC VST Host and audio/MIDI playback). That works very well, but it is Cantabile that is the host for the backing tracks/click. It does work a treat though.

Since Cantabile is optimized for playback / performance that sounds like a great approach.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Phinnin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I tried the laptop route but found the whole thing too cumbersome. It also failed to integrate with my sequences on the Kronos so kind of defeated the purpose. Now that the band is playing to a click, the opportunity to really dial in the light-sound show is close at hand. To run lights via laptop would require I move all my sequences off the Kronos.... too much effort.

Thanks though
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phinnin wrote:
Yeah, I tried the laptop route but found the whole thing too cumbersome. It also failed to integrate with my sequences on the Kronos so kind of defeated the purpose. Now that the band is playing to a click, the opportunity to really dial in the light-sound show is close at hand. To run lights via laptop would require I move all my sequences off the Kronos.... too much effort.

Thanks though

No worries, which I could be more help.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: