Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keyboard split to different synth
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
I built this house in 2003 and the studio was part of the design. Like any studio the configuration has been a moving target ever since. I recently got rid of a Mackie D8B / HDR and finally committed to 100% in the box other than some preamps and such. This is the current iteration.

http://HappyDragonMusic.com/Studio

I'll be using Kronos for the bass sounds, for sure. I'd been using the 2080 and there's no comparison. I haven't done a comparison of EZ / Superior drummer with the Kronos drums yet. They're dedicated drum sample libraries and good quality, but in effect the Kronos is also a sample library, so I may end up using some of that on drums as well. Either way, I'll definitely use them in songwriting for simplicity. And yeah, the groove is everything.

I definitely agree with the best of all worlds approach. The 2080 stays in the rack for that reason. It sounds nothing like the Kronos. But then, there may be times when I want something that sounds nothing like the Kronos. Getting something new and cool doesn't immediately make everything else suck.

I haven't even cracked the seal on Karma yet, so I don't know how it talks to the outside world. If 100% of what it does can be represented in midi, then midi is midi and Cubase should be able to faithfully record and reproduce it. However, Karma seems like a massively powerful set of algorithms so your idea of just pointing it to audio outs and recording it is certainly the path of least pain. I have a Mackie MCU control interface because I like physical knobs and dials for Cubase. The Kronos already has that for Karma, with an integrated interface. No sense reinventing the wheel.

your studio is massively impressive. I am impressed by your planning and the $$ you put into it. My sis and her hubs like in Douglas next to a lake. I haven't visited in some time due to distance and s**t airlines.

I have gone back and forth on Roland and returned to the FA after an 8 year hiatus. There are some things Roland does well thus my recent purchase.

I skim the top of Karma. Just what I need vs full immersion. I much prefer playing the part vs trying or taking time to Karmify something. Keep in mind Karma is a done deal on Kronos. No development on Kronos. Some folks get the software but thats not a fit for my plans.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
your studio is massively impressive. I am impressed by your planning and the $$ you put into it. My sis and her hubs like in Douglas next to a lake. I haven't visited in some time due to distance and s**t airlines.

I have gone back and forth on Roland and returned to the FA after an 8 year hiatus. There are some things Roland does well thus my recent purchase.

I skim the top of Karma. Just what I need vs full immersion. I much prefer playing the part vs trying or taking time to Karmify something. Keep in mind Karma is a done deal on Kronos. No development on Kronos. Some folks get the software but thats not a fit for my plans.

Thanks. Now if only my playing was. Smile

When I started poking around on workstations, the FA was the first I looked into because I'd had a good experience with the 2080. I was impressed and thought it very cool. As I looked at competitors they just got better and better. There's a lot of really great stuff out there.

My main interest in Karma is the ability to have dynamic and moving elements in the sounds rather than the Band in a Box auto generated accompaniment. As for the latter, however, I've had friends who did singles and they would have loved what Karma could do for them.

Honestly, after my recent experience trying to get the USB to Ethernet capability working and Korg's response that there are no new drivers since 2012, my assumption is that development is probably DOA on the Kronos in general. But living in the tech world I just assume that going in with new gear. If it does what I want today, I'll buy it and assume it'll never be updated. If it happens to get a facelift, that's bonus, but I know better than to count on it with any tech product.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
GregC wrote:

Thanks. Now if only my playing was. Smile

When I started poking around on workstations, the FA was the first I looked into because I'd had a good experience with the 2080. I was impressed and thought it very cool. As I looked at competitors they just got better and better. There's a lot of really great stuff out there.

My main interest in Karma is the ability to have dynamic and moving elements in the sounds rather than the Band in a Box auto generated accompaniment. As for the latter, however, I've had friends who did singles and they would have loved what Karma could do for them.

Honestly, after my recent experience trying to get the USB to Ethernet capability working and Korg's response that there are no new drivers since 2012, my assumption is that development is probably DOA on the Kronos in general. But living in the tech world I just assume that going in with new gear. If it does what I want today, I'll buy it and assume it'll never be updated. If it happens to get a facelift, that's bonus, but I know better than to count on it with any tech product.

I wouldn't worry too much about skill. I am barely average and won't get much better. If you like I can guest keyboard on your tracks just to experiment. I do this with another keyboard friend and we have a great time. If you heard my stuff you know I am not much for hard rock or straight blues. My current project is recreating an old movie soundtrack that I have a license for. I am stuck in the 80's mostly.

Minority opinion here. I think Roland was feature smart with the FA and kept the price low.

I have done a few obvious tricks with Karma, use scenes to change up drum patterns. Plus I sometimes add a drum track to Karma drums for more 'lift'.
Having 2 drummers go at it can be cool. So the drum parts can have some movement and don't get 'static '.

You may have read my posts about Korg and Kronos. I routinely assert its at EOL. All your assumptions are realistic smart. I take the side of using the money wisely. I am lucky to have 7 good yrs on my K.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the offer of keys. I come from a classic rock background so it'll be a while before my songwriting reboots and finds new directions, which is what this particular adventure is all about.

Played with an Allman Brothers cover band in NY back in the 80s, two drummers and occasionally a guest percussionist. It was a wall of sound.

Lots of cool stuff to explore.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: