Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using any expression pedal reduces volume by 50%

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mididiot

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Using any expression pedal reduces volume by 50% Reply with quote

Even when the expression pedal is at maximum the volume is 50% lower than without one. Is this typical? I've got a Korg EXP-2, Roland EV-5, MGear EXP, and a Kurzweil pedal. They all have the same issue. Any help would be appreciated. I've got a Nord and Yamaha that don't have that issue.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using a “stereo” cable, tip, ring, ground?

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
mididiot

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I'm using the right cable.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What parameter do you have the pedal jack set to in Global? I believe I'm using MIDI CC 11 for expression.

Geo
HP i7 8GB Win 10
mididiot

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the same global setting. CC#11 -expression. Really puzzling.
Any help would be appreciated.
mididiot

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the same global setting. CC#11 -expression. Really puzzling.
Any help would be appreciated.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t say i have a real clue but if i were in the same situation, i would go to global controllers page and throw desperate fit of guess work elimination.

Sounds like a global issue if the pedal behaviour is over all programs and combis.

I would try flipping “pedal behaviour” setting in global controllers page, where “keep current” and ”reset” are option. And if that doesn’t work, i would go down the crontrollers assignment page for Karma sliders, Karma switches and VJS.. To see if any are set to CC# 11 expression and then check the attitude of any physical controls also globally assigned to CC#11 expression.

The other thing is, i would look at global basics page for “Knob/Slider mode” setting just in case that setting inadvertently can affect expression pedal as a control. “Jump” and “catch” are the two settings options there and one stops a slider from sending any changes out until it catches up to the default setting in the corresponding edit cell for the given parameter or function.
The other setting has the control/slider position and edit cell setting jump to mirror each other as soon as the first input is registerd from the control/slider being moved.
Not sure of it applies to your situation but it is in ball park of controllers not reaching where they should per specified input.
mididiot

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the problem. regardless of the pedal I use. cc#11 only goes up to value 25. If I assign a slider to cc#11 the values go up and down fine. Now I need to find out why. It sounds more like a hardware issue..
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a matter of calibrating the pedal. Some instruments have a calibration routine in the service mode. I’m speaking in generalities as I don’t service Korg. You might check with a service center.

Geo
HP i7 8GB Win 10
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos Assignable Pedal input will work with a range of pedals, but it expects the expression pedal to be a potentiometer type, with the potentiometer high side wired to the jack plug tip, the low side wired to the sleeve, and the potentiometer slider/wiper to the ring. A TRS cable is required between pedal and Kronos.

With the pedal in the maximum volume setting (i.e. toe fully down/heel fully up), the resistance measured between tip and ring should be low, maybe 1 or 2 kiloOhms maximum, and should increase as the pedal is moved through its range towards the expression minimum position.

Because of the design of the Kronos' assignable pedal circuitry, user or factory calibration for the expression pedal input is not required.

mididiot

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried all the following brands, Korg, Yamaha, Kurzweil M-audio, Boss, Roland. All max out at value 25.
I think it's a hardware issue. It's time to go to the shop.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that could be tried is to plug a TRS plug, or cable into the Kronos' assignable pedal socket, and connect tip and ring together. If the volume or CC value doesn't go to the same level as with the cable or plug removed from the jack, then it may well be a hardware issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: