Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI Out on a Kronos 61

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phinnin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: MIDI Out on a Kronos 61 Reply with quote

I'm trying to send MIDI notes to a DMX Controller and am struggling to get anything below C2 to fire. When I plug an 88 key casio into the DMX controller, I can get to C0 no problem so I know the controller is receiving lower notes.

I figured the solution would be easy: build a combi with my controller on Ch16 set to external and then do a Track Parameter>Pitch>-24 and I'd be firing note C0. But nothing works. The internal sound of C0 will go off, but it wont' send any lower note data to the controller from what i can see.

Am I doing something wrong here?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transposition of an individual program in a Combi doesn't transpose the MIDI coming out of the Kronos, which is a logical way of doing things. To transpose the MIDI coming out of the Kronos will need tanspose to be set in the Global menus. The MIDI convert position will also need to be set to Pre MIDI. All internal sounds will also be transposed.

Phinnin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's a bummer. So my next question is: shouldn't I be able to use sequencer mode to trigger those lower notes? I guess I would need to program notes in the sequencer then go into edit mode and dial the notes down to c-1 or whatever. My issue is the lighting controller uses low midi notes.
Phinnin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the reason I am asking instead of just experimenting is because I am in the market for a new DMX controller as the one I have won't filter MIDI clock data. So it won't reliably receive midi notes unless I disable the internal MIDI clock. However, once I do that, nothing works in sequencer mode.

So I'm trying to figure out what I'll be able to do before I spend a ton of money on a new DMX controller.

The idea here was to have my Kronos run a lighting controller both with sequences (for elaborate lighting during certain songs) and also to have some basic scene changes during songs (combi mode). I'm hoping RPPN mode will allow me to trigger some lower MIDI notes for those instances where I don't want to build elaborate sequences.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this might help in terms of transposing notes as it's a hardware solution and could be patched between the output of the Kronos and your DMX controller.

I haven't used this particular gizmo so I can't speak with certainty but it looks like the right class of creature. I have, however, used Midi Solutions products before and had good luck with them.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIevent--midi-solutions-event-processor
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try programming the pads with low MIDI notes as well.
Phinnin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks guys. I think I'll have access to 60 scenes with my controller and since I should be able to use sequencer to send lower notes (I hope) by manually editing the sent notes, I should be able to make due with that.

The target for me is to be able to trigger lights from: 1) specific keys in combi's for simple songs 2) More elaborate light triggers from sequences and maybe 3) RPPN for places I need notes below 36 or over 96 (as those are outside K61's range).

Biggest issue is target controller (Elation Show Designer) has some cool "shows" that open up at 97-111 which I may not have access to.

I really want to be able to run a slick light show with just the Kronos. Apparently, it's not that common these days.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have already considered this, but a midi foot controller would be another option.

I have one with 10 buttons and bank switching that covers the full 128 range. Guitar / bass players use this option a lot.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Phinnin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris: yeah, I want to run a bit more intricate then that. What I really want to do is have the ability to fire lights via sequence so I can really change the lightshow up from song to song and also to have it really be dynamic within each song. I'm using a Chauvet Obey 40 that I put right next to my keys, but it's just too hard to really improve the lightshow when I spend so much time and mental effort playing keys.

So I could have certain zones setup to be one scene and other sections for another scene. So when I play, it will just change scenes for me. Using setlist mode, I could rearrange songs at will and the light programming will go along with the combi.

In the case of sequences, I could go super elaborate and have scenes change by beat, transition, chorus strobes, etc.

But it all requires a get a rock solid connection from kronos to dmx controller. I have 61 keys so assuming I cannot transpose the MIDI output, I have at least that many scenes. I am assuming I could fire lower/higher notes via step sequencer. We'll find out.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's so much horsepower at your fingertips I'm sure there's one way or another to skin this particular cat.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a firm believer and practitioner in the Kronos PADs + MIDI foot controller, please hear me out.

The FCB1010 has 10 footswitches, 8 of which can be permanently mapped to the 8 Kronos pads. Mine are mapped to the sub-audio MIDI notes C-1 to G-1. Keep in mind that is only what the pads are set to respond to. I can play any note or chords for a given song, beyond C-1 to G-1... I'm simply triggering the pads which themselves are programmed to play different notes and chords, per song. For every combi that I plan to play foot pedals to, that combi has already mapped out chords and notes and timbres / key zones that I play with my feet.... a sort of third hand.

Usually one particular song, a combi, can then have 8 custom programmed (stage light) MIDI note responses that you can trigger with your feet while playing keys. Really not that hard once you practice it. I trigger samples, bass drones, horn stabs, chord pads, and string lines in time with the song. For example, during the chorus for Uptown Funk, my left hand plays a layered bass guitar sound with the "doot, doot doo dit", my right hand plays the horn section 16th note phrases, while my left foot plays the 2 alternating DM7 G7 synth pads. In your case, those foot-triggered pads could instead be DMX light commands.

Changing light scenes mid-song is much less precise and much less critical than playing actual musical lines. Joo can doo it! I do this foot tap routine while playing bass and singing backup vocals (playing keys via feet while fingers do the busy bass line for Footloose is great fun). And I'm only slightly above average talent... just takes planning and repetition, really.

If you need more than 8 light scenes during one song, which imo is too many already, you can split up a song into 2 separate combis, each with their own bank of 8 pad commands. Switching live to another consecutive combi via Set List mode is a no brainer.

Loading up sequences on the Kronos for a night's performance is a complex pre-planned, rigid, and dodgy proposition, unless your band and drummer is already well versed with that clicky routine. Using a combi with PADs is much, much more flexible... On the other hand, it does require you as the keys/lights guy to learn a bit more.

Joo can doo eet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: