Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I stop Kronos Sequencer triggering Minilogue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: How do I stop Kronos Sequencer triggering Minilogue Reply with quote

Hi, I wanted some Analogue zip so I bought a Minilogue. I love it. I have it going through my Kronos with effects.

The only issue I have is when using it through the sequencer. It triggers the Minilogue sequencer.
Anybody know how to stop that happening.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triggering Start/Stop ? Locate?

Anything else being triggered? Notes?

Sequencer mode transmits musical data over whatever midi channel is specified for the currently selected track. Not sure if working out an isolated channel can be of any use.
Some midi data is strictly global channel transmission, but those will be found in global mode controllers setting page. So midi filter options in the tracks may not be any use either.

Both devices have to be on the same channel somewhere just to work together. An Isolated non-global channel -midi channel track, would isolate notes that play/transmit on global channel.
I don’t know of anyway to disable or filter out Start/Stop messages or Locate messages. But 3rd party midi filter systems do exist. I use one on my iPad betweed synth apps and Kronos.
I don’t know enough about Mnilogue to know of its midi-filters and wether it has a way to disable receiving certain messages from external sources via global channel or other.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm probably looking in the wrong place. As you say, the answer is probably in the Minilogue settings, rather than the Kronos.
I'm good with the midi side of playing other gear through the Kronis, it's just this triggering issue.
Thanks again.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I stop Kronos Sequencer triggering Minilogue Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
Hi, I wanted some Analogue zip so I bought a Minilogue. I love it. I have it going through my Kronos with effects.

The only issue I have is when using it through the sequencer. It triggers the Minilogue sequencer.
Anybody know how to stop that happening.

Hey Lester, I was going to ask if your K was sending midi to your MIniL

And what mode are you in when experiencing the SEQ issue in the MiniL

It does sound like the issue is on the MiniL side. Hopefully, not a bug
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg.
With the Minilogue, every preset has a sequenced factory pattern built in by default. The Kronos seems to think I want to trigger it, every time I record on the Kronos.
I'll try it with an empty init patch tonight. Although I think there should be something in the minis Global settings.
Just being impatient. Only had it a day.

Shocked
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lester

Maybe you can try going to Global and then selct the MIDI menu on the Kronos. See what happens if you uncheck the ‘Enable Start/Stop Out in Prog/Combi” ???

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global midi settings for enabling Start/Stop message out in Combi and Program, is about having Karma on/off tied to Start/Stop so they send the same message.
I set my Kronos to “Auto Midi” rather than “Internal” to get Karma and Start/stop to sync when i send a Start/Stop message from either my external drum machine or Kronos.
The Start/Stop message never gets filtered out, it just gets tied to Karma on/off in Program and Combi.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Excerpt paramete guide ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Start/Stop (Realtime) Out
Enable Start/Stop Out in Prog/Combi
[Off, On]
In Program and Combination modes, this function transmits a MIDI start message when you trigger KARMA, and a MIDI stop message when you turn it off. This lets you make an external MIDI sequencer or rhythm/groove machine start playing at the moment that KARMA begins playing.
Off (unchecked): Normally you will leave this Off.
On (checked): MIDI system realtime messages “Start” and “Stop” will be transmitted in Program and Combination mode. If MIDI Clock (1–1a) is set to Internal or Auto (and operating as Internal), the start and stop messages will be transmitted under the conditions described below. This can be used to simultaneously start an external MIDI sequencer or rhythm/groove machine at the moment KARMA begins playing.
Start: If the KARMA ON/OFF switch is on, the MIDI system realtime message “Start” will be transmitted at the moment you use the keyboard to trigger the GE Note: “Start” will be transmitted at the moment that the GE phrase or pattern is triggered, according to the module’s “KARMA Key Zone” setting (Program 7–1a, Combination 7–1b).
Stop: If “Start” has been previously transmitted, the MIDI system realtime message “Stop” will be transmitted at the moment you turn off the KARMA ON/OFF switch.
~~~~~~~~~

Kronos has “Receive external real time commands” enable/disable.
If you find this feature in Minilogue, then you may be able to disable the unwanted messages going to minilogue from kronos, but possibly also disable some needed messages.

~~~~~~~~Excerpt parameter guide~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Receive Ext. Realtime Commands [Off, On]
Off (unchecked): The KRONOS will not respond to most MIDI Common and Realtime messages, including Song Position Pointer, Start, Continue, and Stop. Song Select messages will still be recognized, however.
Note: Use this setting if the above messages from an external MIDI sequencer are unnecessarily resetting the KRONOS’s Song parameters.
On (checked): The above Common messages (including Song Select) and Realtime messages will be received.
This parameter cannot be set if MIDI Clock is set to Internal.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still struggling with this one. I've got a Mother 32 and the same thing.
Any other ideas.

Thanks for your help so far.
number6uk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched the sync on my Minilogue to internal and it stopped the triggering on when I started the sequencer on the Kronos. Although it's not ideal because the tempo now does not sync between the two synths, it's better than the triggering happening all the time. With the Minilogue it's quite easy to set the tempo to match the Kronos when needed for the sequencer on the Minilogue to be matched with the Kronos.

If there is another method I will be happy to hear it.

Korg Kronos 2 88, Prologue 16, Minilogue PG, Trinity Plus/SCSI/PBS, Moog Mother 32, DFAM and Subsequent 37 owner.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

number6uk wrote:
I switched the sync on my Minilogue to internal and it stopped the triggering on when I started the sequencer on the Kronos. Although it's not ideal because the tempo now does not sync between the two synths, it's better than the triggering happening all the time. With the Minilogue it's quite easy to set the tempo to match the Kronos when needed for the sequencer on the Minilogue to be matched with the Kronos.

That's great. I'll do that tonight.
Cheers mate.

I think I'll be able to just have blank patterns on the Moog. Hope so anyway.
Shame the Kronos doesn't have a simple trigger on off button for external gear. Unless I've missed it?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

number6uk wrote:

If they are needing to be tempo synced and run the same clock anyway, maybe let Kronos take clock from minilogue. ???
I suspect that since minilogue is now already rendered out of the start/stop message link from kronos, it should be ok to set Kronos midi clock to external.
Should make no difference which handles clock message when they both are needing to be on the same clock. It is what i would try.
I hope it works out without any mixed up tempo issues between individual Programs, Combis or songs.

I use Auto midi which actually helps me keep sync where i was having the opposite issue, where sync for start/stop was not happening in my situation where i needed it in combi.

Auto midi setting on Kronos ends up mostly defering to external device in my case but each slot has a different tempo setting on Kronos and my drum machine(drum pattern sequencer). I just set each drum machine pattern to the tempo that corresponds to the Kronos Combi i use it in and all works out. I change combi on Kronos and then reach onto drum machine and change drum pattern there to correspond, and all is done.

Some Combi’s, i don’t use any external drum machine pattern, because kronos Karma and internal drum track are sometimes enough, but the external drum track is still controlling clock. So i set up some external empty drum machine pattern slots with just a tempo setting and a name stored so i can match it to the combi and have the right tempo sent to kronos in cases where i don’t need drum machine pattern playing while it is midi connected and externally running kronos clock.
number6uk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest with switching sequencers a lot (Minilogue, Kronos and Logic) I'm always faffing around with the clock sources. At the end of the day most of them are just a menu option away to set it and worst case if the Minilogue is getting in the way I just pop the midi lead out while i get the Kronos parts recorded.

Thanks for the great advice 19naia, I will give it a try later.

Korg Kronos 2 88, Prologue 16, Minilogue PG, Trinity Plus/SCSI/PBS, Moog Mother 32, DFAM and Subsequent 37 owner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: