Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SST not working as expected.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keeverw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: SST not working as expected. Reply with quote

Hi people. My name is Wayne.
My amazing wife just bought me a Kronos2-61 for my birthday!
I have been a Korg fan for a long time, and most recently played an M3-61, and I absolutely loved it. But I've wanted to upgrade to a Kronos since it came out, because it is more suited for live use with Setlists and SST's.
I used the Karma SST trick on the M3 but that was very limited.

Anyway, I just created my first setlist last night, and I have a main combi that has piano/pad1/pad2/strings/rhodes/B3.
And I created another with the same setup, but only with the piano turned up.

That way if I'm playing a full thing, but need to go to a quiet piano section I just hit program up and go to the next setlist item which has everything faded down except piano, but then I have all that other stuff available if I need to gradually fade it back in.

Sorry for the long build up, but I was playing around with it last night, and if I sustain a chord on the first combi with pianos and pads turned up, and then hit program up, I can play the solo piano but when I released the sustain pedal about half the time the pads cut out abruptly, not smoothly.
Probably more than half the time. It only worked as expected once or twice, where they decayed slowly.

Is this a polyphony issue?
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Wayne
"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not even worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed to us." Rom 8:18
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you say it works sometimes, i would guess it is likely a polyphony issue especially when you say you are starting from a combi.
Nothing brings up polyphony issues quicker than a combi stacked.

Experiment with less polyphony intensive combis or programs, try other transitions to compare. If they all have their unique inconsistencies, it is likely polyphony issues.

I have combis where i stay there and no transition to another sound or combi.
If i hold notes too long in the Combi while adding more, some notes begin to drop off abruptly. I imagine even easier to happen when holding one combi and transitioning to the other.
Thats why i think polyphony issue. Very common to have on Kronos. Kronos is designed to push its own limits and that is a plus once you learn how to manage it via all the setting features.
Similar to a car with more power than the wheels can control, people learn to ride the edge of disaster for max performance and avoid going over the edge into a crash or worse.
JoeyL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also check the "timber priority" box on each combi to sustain the main sound you want to hold over. That will take at least some of the random cutouts out of play.
keeverw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeyL wrote:
You can also check the "timber priority" box on each combi to sustain the main sound you want to hold over. That will take at least some of the random cutouts out of play.

Where do I find this option?

Thanks for the replies!
I also changed a global setting which doesn't use polyphony for muted timbres.

This seems to have done the trick.
But that priority thing sounds like a good thing to do also.

If I could keep the pad going because it's the most noticeable when it cuts out.
"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not even worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed to us." Rom 8:18
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timbre Parameter, MIDI tab. There's a row of Timbre Priority checkboxes along the bottom.

Last edited by voip on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
keeverw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Timbre Parameter, MIDI tab. There's a row of Timbre Priority chackboxes along the bottom.

Awesome!
Thanks!
keeverw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did it, btw.
Just had too much going on in my combi, and changing to another patch which also had a lot going on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: