Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nano PAD & Karma pad questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: nano PAD & Karma pad questions Reply with quote

I just got my original nano PAD reset to factory settings. I've got the Combi's from Audora Dave's Kyrie sound pack correctly installed and want to create a preset on the nano to trigger the 4 pads pads that Dave has set up in a Combi to play the intro to Kyrie. I have downloaded and installed the KONTROL Editor and have it opened with my nano PAD connected to my Mac. I have the manual for the editor, nano PAD and am on page 1128 of the Kronos Operation Guide all opened and now my eyes are glazed over attempting to figure out where I need to begin the process of getting the first 4 pads on the nano to trigger the internal pads on the Kronos 2. Can anyone please hold my hand and walk me through this process?
Thanks
Mark
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a nonoPAD reset to factory settings, it should just be a case of connecting the nanoPAD to the Kronos. The Kronos will then automatically map the first 8 pads to the 8 chords set up in the Program or Combi. Just plug the nanoPAD in and see what happens. If there are any other USB MIDI devices connected, then disconnect those first.

musicbysterling

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After factory reset, the nano PADS are still mangling the sounds as compared to how they're supposed to sound when the pads on the Kronos screen are played.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was anything done after the factory reset e.g. any editing of nanoPAD setup or scene changing (although the Kronos can cope with a certain amount of that). Are all other MIDI devices disconnected? Does it seem that the nanoPAD is playing the chords? Do the sounds seem mangled using the Kronos' screen trigger after connecting/using the nanoPAD. It may be that the mangling is being done by the X-Y pad sending messages and altering effects unintentionally. The X-Y pad is quite sensitive and easily touched inadvertently. It may be faulty. Is the pad surface flat, or slightly wavy? This could be tested by disabling the X-Y pad using the Kontrol Editor.

musicbysterling

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I did another factory reset and was very careful not to touch anything on the nano PAD I then opened the KONTROL Editor and disabled anything that had X-Y in the name. I then plugged it back into the Kronos with no other USB/MIDI connection and brought up the Combi in question and triggered pad 1 on the nano. The arpeggiated sound then started and played exactly as it was supposed to. Pressing pad 2, which was supposed to have then triggered the second arpeggio, did nothing. I then pressed pad 1 again and that arpeggio started playing a convoluted arpgeggio, which sounded like it was triggering one or all of the other arpeggios, but with some notes being heard an octave above the programmed arpeggio. Pressing all the other upper pads kept doing the same thing, but sounding like the pattern was triggering notes up and down. Then, when I began pressing the lower row of pads, other Programs that were in the Combi were triggered and like a hung MIDI note, the sound just continued to sound. And as I mentioned earlier in this post, touching the pads on the Kronos touch screen triggered all four sounds as programmed
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any further assistance on why I am experiencing this problem?
Due to this issue, the use of the nano PAD is currently useless...
Mark
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing further to add here. I've tried numerous Programs and Combis to try and get something similar to happen, but seem to get the expected behaviour every time, so far.

It could be an issue with the nanoPAD. When the nanoPAD2 here is connected to a PC and MIDI-OX software started, tapping the top row pads 1-8 can be seen to trigger successive simple note on and off messages, C#2, Eb2, F2, G2, A2, B2, C#3, Eb3. There are no other MIDI messages, or rogue notes, occurring. It might be worth checking this way to see if the nanoPAD has any issues.

musicbysterling

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nano PAD as I mentioned in my original post, is the original,not the 2. Could that possibly be an issue?
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I finally had a moment to connect my nano PAD to the MIDI Monitor app.

Pad1 - Note On Channel 1 D#1
Pad2 - Note On Channel 1 C2
Pad3 - Note On Channel 1 A1
Pad4 - Note On Channel 1 G1
Pad5 - Note On Channel 1 D#2
Pad6 - Note On Channel 1 C#2

Pads 1,2,3,4 and 6 output MIDI information with simple the laying of my finger on the pad. Pad6 was intermittent; at times not sending out CC, then sending CC with the same laying of my finger of the pad and then responding by stronger triggering of the pad. Before I did this, I again, for the umpteenth time, did a factory reset. Is this nano PAD simply defective?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the nanoPAD, but without an actual nanoPAD connected, the Korg KONTROL Editor defaults to D#2, C3, A2, G2, D#3, and C#3 for pads 1 to 6, so an octave higher than you're seeing.

Were there any note off events when the pads were released? If there aren't, then the chord notes will continue to play after releasing the pad, creating a muddy, cacophonic sound as more pads are struck. It should be possible to set the nanoPAD pad mode to momentary using the Editor.

Last edited by voip on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reset the MIDI notes in the Kontrol editor software and made sure momentary was selected. Now the pads are correctly triggering the Combination!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. It's intriguing that the nanoPAD factory reset defaults to pad note assignments that are different to those expected by the editor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: