Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sonar 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluewolfe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Sonar 7 Reply with quote

For months now, I have been communication with tech support, because when I play the Pa4x into Sonar there is NO instrument identification per track, so after recording a full band song, every band member is now playing a default piano. For 22 years, my studio used a Roland G-800 and it was just fine. Now, all I get are pianos on All tracks. I can not believe that I am the only person who is having a problem with this as I am led to believe. I can not use the Korg MIDI record function because I have a Hammond, an Emu and other devices feeding into Sonar (Via MIDI merger) at the same time. Always has worked in the past. Anyone else?
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sonar 7 - Midi BankSelect / PrgChg Reply with quote

bluewolfe wrote:
.. I play the Pa4x into Sonar .. after recording a full band song, every band member is now playing a default piano ..

If Midi-Events (bankselect and programchanges) are transferred to the Sonar recording from the Pa4x and do not arrive, it is presumably prevented by a filter in the Midi-out of the Pa4x or in the Midi-in of the Sonar.

If this Midi-Events in SMF are recorded correctly but output is wrong, then events are suppressed by filters of Sonars Midi-out.

It may also be that the connected Midi-Devices are not able to interpret sent Midi-Events correctly.
This means midi-devices and midi-configuration are to analyze to find out compatibility issues in configuration or points in message-chain where valid events are lost or bad ones are produced.

If, for example, the Pa4x sends a MIDI message 121/127/16 (MSB / LSB / PChg) to be recorded in an SMF, then sent via smf-player to Midi-devices that do not properly output an expected sound, it is unhelpful and untrustworthy to inform that this has worked well with a G800 in the past. For example, Pa4x could produce such messages but G800 will not send MSB/LSB/PChg with these values and most midi-devices representing your "full band" will not process this event with satisfactory output.

In the present you have to look which events the Pa4x sends (appearing sounds are listed in tables of Pa4x-manual) and if connected devices at the end of the signal chain are capable to process this events.

If the data does not arrive there correctly it ist to analyze the point in chain, where sent data do not longer exist. Without these exams, help is badly possible.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
bluewolfe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Sonar Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. My studio has been running for 22 years with only an upgrade in equipment. The Pa4X replaced my Roland G-800. Nothing else has changed The Korg does send PC changes later on in the songs and they are recognized and acted upon. It is just the initial setup that gets nothing telling what instrument is on what track, so they all default to piano. I have sent Korg screen shots comparing the events list of what the Roland sends at the beginning and what the Korg doesn't send. My recording ability is currently shut down until this gets remedied.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sonar 7 - display instrument per smf-track Reply with quote

bluewolfe wrote:
.. just the initial setup that gets nothing telling what instrument is on what track, so they all default to piano ..

Also do not know a solution, but maybe trying SMF to start immediately, because SMFs and KARs may contain a silent setup measure at the beginning (with korg-specific SysEx-header).

Maybe selecting Fast Play checkbox to let the MIDI Songs ignore the silent setup measure at the beginning. While the beats are skipped, setup data they may contain are read and considered.
Also maybe possible to choose an alternative starting position from where to start playback will help.
Selecting the Start from measure checkbox will activate the alternative starting position and when pressing HOME or REWIND button the Song should return to this point.
Useful is this feature for instant activation of Start, Mixing and Crossfade.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
bluewolfe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, I do appreciate your input.

Also do not know a solution, but maybe trying SMF to start immediately, because SMFs and KARs may contain a silent setup measure at the beginning (with korg-specific SysEx-header).
Maybe selecting Fast Play checkbox to let the MIDI Songs ignore the silent setup measure at the beginning. While the beats are skipped, setup data they may contain are read and considered.
I'd give that a try, but, I am totally new to Korg and don't know how to accomplish what you suggest.

It sounds like your suggestions are for recording within the Korg. I can't do that due to the interaction of the Hammond, etc. being simultaneously recorded. I think this is all up to Korg to get it right and send the "setup packet" in the beginning of play like all the others do. I could be wrong, that's why I am reaching out for an alternative, but, this is my first time in the Korg world. All I want to do is play the Korg into Sonar like all the others did.

I believe it comes down to the fact that the Korg just doesn't send out any information at THE BEGINNING of play, even though it does further down the song. So far Korg is refusing to acknowledge this.
bluewolfe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg sent the answer to my situation.

In the Roland world, when recording into Sonar, the flow is this. Select style > start Sonar recording > start playing.

For the Korg, the flow is slightly different. Start Sonar recording > then select style > play.

It is now solved
Minneapolis Musician

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluewolfe,

This is useful information. Thank you.

PA4x harmonies, Beach Boys song: https://youtu.be/3drsnU6j8Po?t=3m25s

All songs: http://www.reverbnation.com/GlennGalen
Bill1983

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minneapolis Musician wrote:
bluewolfe,

This is useful information. Thank you.

I can't speak to Sonar 7 but in 8 and above a "Pa4x.ins" file (instrument definition file) can also force Sonar to default to the Pa4x instruments. It has to be loaded & selected as the default midi device as well. It's been several years since I messed with this but it's fairly well documented in the Sonar Platinum documentation. Just a thought if you have any further difficulties.
PA4x, PA500, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live 10 Standard, NI Komplete12 Ultimate, EWQL Libraries, Nektar Impact LX88, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Gen2, Studiologic MP-117 Pedalboard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: