Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DNC: Friend or Foe?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
takis46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: DNC: Friend or Foe? Reply with quote

Although -with the help of this forum- I started to get the upper hand on most issues I had with my new PA1000, I would like to hear your opinion regarding the DNC. A lot of voices on this KB are DNC, and I understand that this feature gives realistic sound, by emulating real-instrument behavior. However, to me it causes a lot of problems. I often play legato and get "weird" sounds that in most cases are scratch/crack noises or ugly false notes. Especially in sax and trumpet, it is more trouble than an asset... Moreover, when I play more complicated tabs, it sometimes skips notes! If I play a very fast legato sequence, some keys are skipped, no sound, blank keystrokes! I try to avoid these instruments, but it's a pity since some of them are really neat. Now, I tried to play as distinctive as I can regarding keystrokes, but what can I say, legato is legato, you press keys simultaneously!

P.S. Another harmless issue: The songbook is really funny...All song titles are manipulated to remind you the song, but avoid the exact words. Come on guys/girls in Korg! " Smooth ...workman" (operator,) "dancing in bad weather" (rain) , sound of ..quiet (silence). Was it written by Chinese? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot comment on DNC.

The Songbook names are generic to avoid import duties, yes really that is what the Korg Rep told me.

Download the Songbook update and install it and hey presto, correct names and even the artists are listed
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, takis. DNC has its uses, no question, but in a gig situation with some volume on the PA system I can do without the clunks and squeaks, so I avoid the DNC-affected sounds as much as possible.
takis46

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thanks for the advice on the songbook! Downloaded and updated and voilà! At last normal titles... DNC is awful though, especially the sax, it is impossible to play anything that includes key-overlapping. I would appreciate if it could be turned on/off with a simple button/selection! It might be though that it's in the core of the sound processor and cannot be manipulated. For now avoiding these instruments, but darn, they are many and they sound so good! Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: