Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Advice... Kronos or a Synth?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tombikadam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Need Advice... Kronos or a Synth? Reply with quote

imagine someone who wants to buy a synthesizer but you advise him to buy KRONOS... would it be a wrong advise or not? why? having 9 synth engines is the same thing as having a well-known synth? because Kronos is also a workstation... what are the advantages of buying Kronos instead of a synth like Behringer Deepmind 12??

thanks!
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don’t know anything about deep mind 12, but I can tell you I couldn’t gig without my K2.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Advice... Kronos or a Synth? Reply with quote

tombikadam wrote:
imagine someone who wants to buy a synthesizer but you advise him to buy KRONOS... would it be a wrong advise or not?

That depends on what the person is looking for. If you want "the sky is the limit" synthesizer/sampler, then Kronos is your answer. You can also do a full fledged production on it. The reason to not recommend a Kronos is its complexity. This is not a synthesizer/workstation that you will master in two months. It requires a huge commitment from the user. The more you put into it, the more you will get out of it.

Quote:
having 9 synth engines is the same thing as having a well-known synth?

No, it would be more like having 4 well known synths. I'm not going to say 9, because you can basically break it down to:
Sampling/Wavesequencing
FM/VPM
Virtual Analogue
Modelling/Physical Modelling

Furthermore, each of those categories is huge. You can't just compare HD-1 to a regular ROMpler workstation, because Wavesequencing takes it to another realm. Comparing MOD-7 to a DX7 or even a Montage's FM-X doesn't take into account that MOD-7 does sample waveform modulation. Basically, each of the Kronos' synthesis types are very comprehensive.

Quote:
what are the advantages of buying Kronos instead of a synth like Behringer Deepmind 12??

To many to list. Instead, I'll tell you why someone might choose the DeepMind 12. It's a lot more simple to operate than a Kronos and it has analogue filters and oscillators.

If you want to sequence songs, play samples, FM, and other synth types, choose Kronos. If you want analogue, choose the Deepmind 12.

I have both, and I find that they compliment each other very well. When I first got the DM, I made this Kronos/Deepmind comparison video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4F8rQ0CAtU

Initially, I wasn't that impressed. But, after having the Deepmind for a while, I've made some sounds for it that I really like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZSXrIFm0V0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7RE0DMkLsc
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I owned one just one synth it would be the Kronos.

But variety is good, so I have a Minilogue for that Analogue instant tweakable
fizz and a Moog Mother 32 for the Moog tone and modulation fun.

but when you add up bang for buck, the Kronos gives and keeps on giving. Sequencer, Sampler, Combinations, pads , pianos, bass etc etc etc

Also a superior keybed, build quality and Korg Forums.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos has to be one of the best synths ever made, ignore the fact it has a workstation badge and it is a seriously powerful synth.

I would kill to keep my Kronos and wouldn't even bother with a deep mind if it was given to me free.
leonh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos is class on its own cant compare it with anything out there.
DAZZA3483

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a relative novice to the synth world my personal decision to purchase a Kronos was purely based on what you get for your investment...there is simply nothing out there at present that compares.

You more or less have the 'full package' at your fingertips with the Kronos,why compromise?... its deep but great fun to learn.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to ask between the two, then you must not have a specific need in mind or a good enough understanding of them.

They are just too far apart in category to compare.

They each offer something the other does not but Kronos is the one that offers far more than the other, without really anything serious missing by not getting deep mind or similar.

Easy to substitute on kronos by using computer based synths and synth apps.

I think you would spend a whole lot more money trying to start with something like Deep Mind and then using computer and app based DAW and synths to bring Deep Mind to a place where it does what kronos does.

Kronos. Worst case scenario is you end up with more features than you need.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:

Kronos. Worst case scenario is you end up with more features than you need.

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^ Very Happy
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos is something you need, An Analog synth is something you want or may need depending on your use case and GAS.

Having said that and already owning a Kronos.
I recently had a bad episode of GAS that has left me with a Novation Peak and a Moog Subsequent 37. Rolling Eyes
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: