Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kong Q5R sound module no midi in?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uncle808us

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Kong Q5R sound module no midi in? Reply with quote

Hi I hope this is where to post this.
This is my first day here and first post.
I have a Korg Q5R sound module connected to my Roland A30 controller. I can not get the midi out from the A30 into the Q5R. It used to work. But not recently. The Demo songs on the Q5R play.I can hear them. and the midi indicator lights up. But when I strike a key on the controller No (midi) indicator light. So I'm assuming no signal coming from the controller the midi channels are the same.Ch1.
This is driving me nuts. My older M3R sound module will work but I'd like to get this Q5R working as well.
Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks to anyone who will help in advance.[/u]
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a picture of the setup?
uncle808us

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and here it is:
or:https://i.imgur.com/RLpfVoy.jpg
uncle808us

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and here it is:
or:https://i.imgur.com/RLpfVoy.jpg
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so it's the 05R/W, not the Q5R.

One thing that could be tried is a factory reset, by pressing GLOBAL MULTI and using the BANK/PAGE+ button, scroll to page 05A PRESET DATA. Press the +1 button. It will prompt "Are You Sure OK?". Press the +1 button again. It will show "Completed". The unit is now reset to factory specs.

If the above doesn't work, then it is possible that the MIDI interface in the 05R/W has stopped working.
uncle808us

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the omission of the (/w). Thank you for your reply. I have already done the reset. Darn that's too bad if the midi in is broken I have no idea why or how that happen. I have always been careful with it. So if the midi signal works during the sample song play this is not an indication of the midi input working. Correct? Again Thank you.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the module name, the first character was a Q, as in Quebec, rather than a 0 (zero).

The MIDI LED is quite late in the MIDI signal chain, so it "sees" the sample songs, which are held in ROM, as their data pass through the microprocessor.

A quick diagnostic test, that might help to narrow down the problem, involves connecting the A30 MIDI out to the 05R/W MIDI in, and then connecting the 05R/W MIDI thru to the M3R MIDI in, and seeing what happens. Does the M3R respond to the A30? The A30, 05R/W and M3R all need to be powered for this test.

Last edited by voip on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
uncle808us

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try this later today. Thanks. I have a bit to do this morning. But I hope to get to this this after noon.
uncle808us

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I went thru this test twice just to be sure. No response from the M3R. But A30 into the M3R worked fine.
So I'm figuring this is solved and services for the Q5R/W will be held later today. It's a shame... I'll miss the old bugger. But it served it's time.
Thanks for the help. I appreciated it.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That result suggests a fault in one of probably a handful of components, rather than a complete mainboard replacement, so it may not be as bad as all that. Hopefully that single fault is all there is. Repair will require the skills of a good electronics technician to find and fix the fault.

uncle808us

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already ordered a new module. Thanks for the help. Like I said I appreciated it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: