Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triton Classic or Korg Kross?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Triton Classic or Korg Kross? Reply with quote

Which of these would you buy? A used Triton Classic 61 or a new Korg Kross 61?
tommymandel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I didn't want to chime in here again because I do tend to blab on alot about this topic. But since I see no one else has stepped in, here I go Wink

I really like the Kross for its extremely light weight and good sounds. The Triton Classic also has good sounds, but overall different in some hard-to-define way; but it weighs over THREE TIMES as much. If you are going to plant it in your studio, or if you're young, and/or have a car or a roadie, then that's probably not going to be an issue for you, but getting around to gigs in nyc, sometimes even on the subway, and being 2^6 years young, it does matter to me, since I try to baby my back. I can show up with this tiny, cool thing and not embarrass myself.

Getting around on the menus is going to be much better on the Triton Classic. It sports a Touchscreen too as you know. If you would be using the TR-808 style drum pads on the Kross that's another plus for choosing the Kross. Some of the Kross sounds are softer edged and its beats are newer. If you have expansion cards, or if you intend to sample, the Triton Classic is the way to go. Its sound also seems a little 'thicker' to me. Not that the Kross isn't capable of some extremely heavy sounds in its preset combis especially. It is.
So it's kind of a ping-pong game; back and forth. To be fair, it depends on what features mean the most to you, to your style and work.

I like the Kross a lot, though the keybed could feel more expensive (hah - but why should it: the axe isn't!) But when I play an X50 (closer to the Triton but with less effects) I appreciate the difference in the body of the sound. In real world situations, I've always found the Kross to fit in to a mix, but not get lost in it. Haven't taken the X50 to any gigs, but when I used to drag my Karma around (same sound engine as Triton supposedly) the aftertouch was great to have, especially for those Prince type brass stabs, and other than the piano not being great (which may have been improved in the Triton, I don't know) the sounds were very usable too.
shaneblyth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Triton Classic or Korg Kross? Reply with quote

hammondcuni wrote:
Which of these would you buy? A used Triton Classic 61 or a new Korg Kross 61?

Some extra info on what you intend to do with it do you have other gear? Is it for home a studio live gigging what type of sounds do you need ? The list goes on so we could give you some Insite that's relevant to your needs if you gave us some first of those in sites first. Very Happy
Macbook Air 13"
Mainstage 3
alexhawk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommymandel wrote:

I like the Kross a lot, though the keybed could feel more expensive (hah - but why should it: the axe isn't!) But when I play an X50 (closer to the Triton but with less effects) I appreciate the difference in the body of the sound. In real world situations, I've always found the Kross to fit in to a mix, but not get lost in it. Haven't taken the X50 to any gigs, but when I used to drag my Karma around (same sound engine as Triton supposedly) the aftertouch was great to have, especially for those Prince type brass stabs, and other than the piano not being great (which may have been improved in the Triton, I don't know) the sounds were very usable too.

So having Kross and X50 which one do You prefer? The main thing for me is the same as yours - cut thru mix. Ive got Korg Extreme which sounds fat as hell but its a little bit heavy. I also had Karma but it lacks many triton patches which i love, especially stabs. I bought X50 as a lightweight Triton but it doesnt sound as good as Extreme (which is obvious). What i dont like in X50 is the difference in volume levels between patches.
Do You recommend Kross(2) instead of X50?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: