Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baffled by the Sequencer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
parfaitbeaucoup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Baffled by the Sequencer Reply with quote

I've never been a workstation guy so I've always been baffled by sequencing and I'm really struggling to make what I think is a super simple task work.

I've recorded a MIDI step sequence on Track 1 and set it to loop from M001-M004

I want that to loop on the synth patch that's loaded into track 1 and then use track 2 to play live without the sequence playing the notes of track two.

Right now track 1 is channel 1, 2=2 etc.

I'm very confused. No matter what I try the step sequence continues to play on the other patch when I adjust MIDI settings. Please point me in the right direction Smile

Thanks!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All internal sounds will only sound out through global channel.
That means all tracks will have to be set to internal and also set to the same midi channle as global, if you want them to midi drive internal based programs or samples.

This also means you cannot isolate midi input messages between tracks to have them not interfere with each other while using internal program sounds in each track. You either give up a track’s sound or you give up its midi receive when you isolate tracks to their own unique midi channel.

Good news is Karma Midi I/O.
You can set a track to its own unique midi channel to isolate it from recieveing the step sequence loop track note messages being input to that track’s assigned channel.
After setting the the separate track to its own unique midi channel, you can then go to Karma and turn it on, then go to Karma GE and Setup tab page.
You will see Midi I/O there and you go there to select a Karma module.
Then use that module’s midi I/O settings.

I don’t have Kronos with me to run through the steps but i know Karma Midi I/O lets you bypass the global channel trap. Just set up input to come from a unique and non global channel and then set your designated track to the same channel as your selected Karma module in Karam Midi I/O.
The output channel can then be set to global to get it to sound out without interfering with other tracks inputting directly to global.

4 karma modules, means you can work up to 4 unique midi channels across tracks.
Also more work to do with each module, to make sure the “GE run” is disabled and the thru/in/zone settings are made.

If you don’t know Karma Midi I/O, then maybe your question here should be about how to set up Karma midi I/O for use without GE running in the setup. Used just to play internal sounds via non global midi channel timbre/tracks.
parfaitbeaucoup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks a lot for that response! I was confused at first but then I figured it out.

By setting the karma MIDI I/O from 1-->2 I can now play track 2 without it being played by the step sequencer part on track 1.

That's step one, now how might I make it so that what I play does not play via track 1's synth channel? As of now both track 2 and track 1 are sounding when I play.

I'm sitting at my board now trying but not able to get the desired results.

Thanks!
parfaitbeaucoup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow up, even if I don't have any of the tracks on MIDI channel 1 (global), I'm still hearing what I play come out through the synth track.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I quite following 19naia's explanation, but from what I understand what you're tying to do should be quite simple and should definitely not require KARMA or any other such trickery.

In sequencer mode, the Global channel doesn't really have much to do with anything. What's important is what channel you have selected for the keyboard in the dropdown on the main page.

It should simply be a matter of making sure that each track is on its own MIDI channel, and then using the keyboard to play whatever sound is assigned to Track 2. However if a setting somewhere has been inadvertently changed then that might be causing the problems you're having.

Perhaps you could save your sequence and email it through? I'd be happy to take a look for you?

Failing that, I'd be inclined to start again and create a new sequence just for experimentation: set up your loop on Track 1 and the live part you want to play on Track 2. Don't use the "Copy from Combi" or "Copy from Program" options whilst you're working out where the issue might be as this may change something somewhere you're not expecting.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
parfaitbeaucoup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was simpler than I expected, I thought I had tried that with no luck but I guess not.

By selecting Midi Track 02 I can play channel 2 live and hear the synth loop just fine.

NOW, that opens up a new can of worms. I was using the RT knobs to adjust the cutoff and various other parameters of the synth loops but now those knobs are only affecting the sound on track 2, which I don't really need to do.

Is this where maybe some karma I/O could come in to play?

Is there a way to live monitor track 2 but use the RT knobs to modulate the sound from track 1?

I hope so....!!!

Thanks Smile
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parfaitbeaucoup wrote:
Wow, that was simpler than I expected, I thought I had tried that with no luck but I guess not.

By selecting Midi Track 02 I can play channel 2 live and hear the synth loop just fine.

NOW, that opens up a new can of worms. I was using the RT knobs to adjust the cutoff and various other parameters of the synth loops but now those knobs are only affecting the sound on track 2, which I don't really need to do.

Is this where maybe some karma I/O could come in to play?

Is there a way to live monitor track 2 but use the RT knobs to modulate the sound from track 1?

I hope so....!!!

Thanks Smile

Maybe i didn’t understand your situation well enough but i at least stayed in the general relevant aspects related to working with midi channels assigned to tracks.
My focus was primarily on getting you free from Step sequencer track driving your other track. You seem to have gotten that far ahead. But the rest if your situation was not adressed by my comment about Karma.

I am far from kronos and have been going off mental picture that gets foggier by the day.
Glad to hear you are gaining ground though.

Definitley was worth exploring Karma to see what it can do even if for something that does not apply to issues at hand. It can spark ideas and prove things that will eventually be useful someday somewhere.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracks are like Combi. They primarily Layer tracks together to play together.
So all enabled tracks will sound together in unison unless you select specific tracks to turn off or you work in a Key zoning scheme to zone each track to respond to its own reserved area of the Key-range.

You want to play one track at a time, you turn on or unmute one track at a time. Same with recording, you select “multi record” to record multiple tracks at a time. Either way, only the selected tracks will sound and only muted or tracks turned off will remain silent.
Or tracks that have been disconnected(change off of global channel per track) from the midi stream of the keys/notes played, they will remain silent.
The keys/notes are hardwired globally to global channel. That is the primary function of global channel, to determine which midi channel the keys will transmit on. Karma has ways of routing that so that one channel can take input from another and output via a bypass of the usual restrictions.

Your tracks normally play like layers in a combi. The keys will sound out all tracks that are on or unmuted, and assigned with a program to play on global midi channel or a Karma midi I/O bypass.
You can move from layer configuration to Split configuration by using key zoning.

I really hope it is true that you can have each track on its own independent midi channel and each have its own Program and have each sound out independent of the others without using Karma or key zoning to isolate tracks from responding to particular ranges of keys/notes. Have struggled to find that myself, and Karma Midi I/O was the only thing that got me close to that.

You have 4 Karma modules, So the same type of Karma setup you did for track 2 on channel 2, you can switch track 1 to midi channel 3 and set up a second Karma module to input from channel 3.
So track 1 gets channel 3 and its own Karma module and Midi I/O setup. Track 2 gets channel 2 and its own Karma module and midi I/O setup.
Still i doubt it stops both tracks from sounding as layers.
I think only key zoning to make a split, or simply muting or turning off the track you do not want to hear, turn it on when you want to hear it.
Or Putting the track to an isolated midi channel that does not sound through karma or global.

Karma dynamic midi gives you a selection of means by which to switch which tracks are selected to play or not to play. But it think things are already confused enough without bringing in Karma’s “dynamic midi”possibilities. Maybe consider dyn midi after getting a better grasp on what is going on as things are now.

Last edited by 19naia on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:40 am; edited 2 times in total
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're quite right about the power of KARMA, 19naia - it's something that's definitely worth exploring (and a frequent cause of all sorts of unexpected MIDI routing behavior!).

Parfaitbeaucoup, regarding being able to continue to control the filter etc of the first track whilst playing the second track, this is certainly possible!

The trick is to place the two tracks on the same channel, so they both receive input from the keyboard and control surface concurrently, but apply MIDI filters so they only receive certain types of events.

Once you have them on the same channel, go into "MIDI Filter/Zones" -> "MIDI Filter 2" and turn off "Enable Realtime Control Knob 1-8" for the track you'll be playing along with live. This will ensure that when you alter the cutoff knobs etc, they'll only affect the one track.

Then go into "Keyboard Zones" and for the looped track, set the top and bottom keys to a range you won't be playing (e.g. C0 - C0). This will prevent your loop track from playing any notes from the keyboard. Of course, you can use any value you want here and divide your keyboard into two zones - one to control the loop track, and the other to control the live track. It's entirely up to you!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: