Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Importing Chord Variations for Style from SMF

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tordenspyd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Importing Chord Variations for Style from SMF Reply with quote

I am having problem with this.
I believe it could be a help seeing a Standard Midi File that can be imported as a Chord Variation. Can anyone give a link?

I have made a template for Logic Pro X, for importing all elements of a style separated by markers. It did not work. So I opted for getting import single chord variations to work first. But I can not get that to work either.

There is one unclear point in the total documentation about it, which unfortunately seems difficult to handle with Logic. The issue is about time signatures. The documentation can be interpreted at saying that each track must start with a time signature. However, most sequencers assume the same time signature for all tracks. So is it not sufficient with one time signature for the first track? ( I interpreted the documentation as saying that time signature _changes are not allowed, )

Also, according to web documentation on midi files, there has been two different ways of incorporating time signatures in midi files. Therefor seeing one example that works could be helpful.

In logic I can not insert a time signature for each track. The time signature is not part oif the event list for tracks. However, Logic does put time signature in the first track of the exported midi file.

Has anybody made Chord variations in Logic , exported as SMF and imported as SMF by the Pa4X?

I've read the manual instructions from page 295. In my case, finishing the import by pressing execute, and answering YES, results in no messages, but also there are no data actually being imported in the Chord Variation. ( While experimenting with different tests the file can give a message, saying it is an unacceptable file or, even )

peace
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you only need one time signature per marker. Korg does not support poly-rhythm , so you couldn't import tracks with different time signatures anyways.

Are you sure you're exporting the midi file as type 0?

tordenspyd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply SAM.

To answer the question.
Yes the files I try, have been set to MIDI Type 0 by the preferences in Logic. I have rechecked that.

The file itself is played back OK by the Song player on Pa4X.
No warnings are given by the Pa4X when I import the Midi file to a chord variation, but nothing is apparently read. The chord variation is empty.

If I put a v1cv1 marker in the file and try to import it as a complete style, by the SHIFT+execute operation, I get a Reading error notification by Pa4X.

If I could see one working example of a file that can be imported as a single chord variation, I may find out what is wrong with the files I create.

peace
tordenspyd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some update.
I am new to the pa4X. I have not solved the problem yet.
But right now I am not sure how you can help.

I have seen files that work.
I have standard midi files, SMF, that can be imported as a chord variation as well as files that can be imported as a style. These were made by the Pa4X itself. It works. They work as they should.

However when I import these into logic X Pro, and export them as Midi files from Logic, they don't work.

In my post above, I suspected the time signature command was the problem; That is because different write-ups on Midi files describe the coding differently. However, both Logic and Pa4X create the same code sequence in the file ( hex FF 58 04 04 18 08 00 ) for a 4/4 meter, So that is not the problem.

Ive tested a dozen modification I thought could be significant. One thing is the K4pX generates a system exclusive command, I have no idea about its meaning, but leaving it in as well aa erase it has the same effect: {Read Command Failed ..}

I'll let you know,

peace

Last edited by tordenspyd on Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tordenspyd wrote:
Just some update.
I am new to the pa4X. I have not solved the problem yet.
But right now I am not sure how you can help.

I have seen files that work.
I have standard midi files, SMF, that can be imported yo a chord variation as well as files that can be imported as a style. These were made by the Pa4X itself. It works. They work as they should.

However when I import these into logic X Pro, and export them as Midi files from Logic, they don't work.

In my post above, I suspected the time signature command was the problem; That is because different write-ups on Midi files describe the coding differently. However, both Logic and Pa4X great the same code sequence in the file ( hex FF 58 04 04 18 08 00 ) for a 4/4 meter, So yjat is not the problem.

Ive tested a dozen modification I thought could be significant. One thing is the K4pX generates a system exclusive command, I have no idea about its meaning, but leaving it in as well aa areas it has the same effect: {Read Command Failed ..}

I'll let you know,

peace

In that case, Logic is doing something to the midi format. Like you said, the midi file worked originally. I think a Logic user had figured out the issue. It's got to do with midi type 0. Even though you're exporting as type 0, there's an additional step. Let me see if I can find that old thread.

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=94865&start=30

tordenspyd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THank you very much for your reply sand lin sam:

Sam CA wrote:
Here you go:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=94865&start=30

The link was about type 1 and type 0 files generated by Logic. I export files by setting the preferences to export regions as type 0. I select the tracks I want to export, Join them to one region, by pressing cmd-J and then export that region.

That has created files that work.

But also files that don't work. There was issues with the ordering of events in the exported file, that caused read errors in Pa4X.

I have found that it is not necessary to have time signatures for all the style elements if they all have the same time signature, which will be the most common situation.

Thx for all your help

peace

Last edited by tordenspyd on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tordenspyd wrote:

I have found that it is not necessary to have time signatures for all the style elements if they all have the same time signature, which will be the most common situation.

I can't remember if this is been resolved with the latest updates but before you actually had to set a time signature to every single marker within your DAW....with the exception of 4/4.

Say if your time signature was 6/8. If you forgot to assign a 6/8 TS to any Style element, the keyboard would change it to 4/4 and create a mess. That's how it used to be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: