Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setup Discussion :D

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngelsPianoPF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Setup Discussion :D Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Many times I came here for answers, I even took a couple of lessons with Dave Champagne as soon as I got my Kronos.

I have the Kronos 2, I use it for livestreaming so I have it hooked up to my Yamaha MX 12 channel mixer.

I hate myself for not having a more in depth knowledge. I use the set list function, a few times I've used some Karma Presets, I've done some Combis and that's pretty much it.

I'd like to start recording songs. Some are piano solo and others require vocals.

Would you recommend I record internally on the Kronos or use a third party program on the computer? I've used cubase before and it's fine but I encounter the usual issues of saturation, etc that I think could be avoided if I used the sequencer.

Also, do you guys have a cool thread about how to use the sequencer?

Thank you for your time!!

Angels
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, for "definitive" recordings, I personally prefer to use WaveLab on the computer as I'm so used to it since years. It is also much more relaxing for my old eyes compared to the smaller Kronos screen. I record directly with the Kronos USB outs, so there is no loss in quality.

But if inspiration strikes or I'm not home, I find the Kronos recorder very useful. YMMV.

About tutorials, I suppose you already saw the Korg videos ? That's a good point to start.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Setup Discussion :D Reply with quote

AngelsPianoPF wrote:
Hi Guys,

I hate myself for not having a more in depth knowledge. I use the set list function, a few times I've used some Karma Presets, I've done some Combis and that's pretty much it.

I'd like to start recording songs. Some are piano solo and others require vocals.

Would you recommend I record internally on the Kronos or use a third party program on the computer? I've used cubase before and it's fine but I encounter the usual issues of saturation, etc that I think could be avoided if I used the sequencer.

Angels

I have recorded +30 originals, 100% SEQ.

The big advantage is work flow. SEQ is great for capturing ideas and laying
down tracks.

I think its much easier to use Karma in the SEQ vs trying to bring it over to cubase.

The Korg tutorial on the Seq/Kronos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JHf1XqzBOU

I thing this Korg video is must for learning the SEQ.

What to record on is entirely a preference. Cubase is an excellent platform, too

Make sure you get going on recording and don't over think where to record is my advice.
AngelsPianoPF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Setup Discussion :D Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
AngelsPianoPF wrote:
Hi Guys,

Angels

I have recorded +30 originals, 100% SEQ.

The big advantage is work flow. SEQ is great for capturing ideas and laying
down tracks.

I think its much easier to use Karma in the SEQ vs trying to bring it over to cubase.

The Korg tutorial on the Seq/Kronos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JHf1XqzBOU

I thing this Korg video is must for learning the SEQ.

What to record on is entirely a preference. Cubase is an excellent platform, too

Make sure you get going on recording and don't over think where to record is my advice.

Thank you so much Greg! What an amazing community! I feel like I always need a little boost to start using new features on the kronos... your comment inspires me to explore it more. I'll check out that tutorial, thank you so much!!
AngelsPianoPF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Hi there, for "definitive" recordings, I personally prefer to use WaveLab on the computer as I'm so used to it since years. It is also much more relaxing for my old eyes compared to the smaller Kronos screen. I record directly with the Kronos USB outs, so there is no loss in quality.

But if inspiration strikes or I'm not home, I find the Kronos recorder very useful. YMMV.

About tutorials, I suppose you already saw the Korg videos ? That's a good point to start.

Yes, I've seen those and a few by QuiRobinez but I always have questions and unresolved issues. I'll explore your option too! Thank you so much!!
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on doing an in-depth series on integrating the Kronos with Cubase. I built MIDI device panels, created a proper Korg drum map, and drew up a chart that explains how automation works on the Kronos. I also made a Cubase template project with everything organized properly.

The only thing that could possibly make the Kronos more integrated with my computer environment is if I were using an FTP network for direct .wav transfer between the keyboard and PC. I do all my sampling internally for now though.
I suppose I could also program sys ex commands and graphics into the device panels but at that point I'd be rebuilding what the folks at Sound Quest already created.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
I plan on doing an in-depth series on integrating the Kronos with Cubase. I built MIDI device panels, created a proper Korg drum map, and drew up a chart that explains how automation works on the Kronos. I also made a Cubase template project with everything organized properly.

Thats great news. I need to expand my palette (VI's) and all the gear/software is in place for Cubase.

I have several pieces on integrating the K with Cubase but have the usual gaps.

Looking forward to your work, thanks. Mac person. Not needing any FTP
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of the keyboard or the software, my ideal method is to do MIDI sequences for any parts played on the Kronos, and software for any audio parts, simply because MIDI is very flexible for editing parts later as well as editing controller data, editing sounds without changing the performance, etc, while raw audio tends to be easier to edit in computer software.

Whether you choose to use song mode for the MIDI data, or use a combi triggered to MIDI coming from software is up to you, but in that case again I think keeping all of that in software and just using the Kronos for the sounds is the easiest most effective way to do it for studio work - unless you were doing it to take out live. Then if live I'm going to just have the Kronos, then I typically do it all in song mode....occasionally I'll still do all the audio tracks in the computer then bounce them down to a single track in the Kronos to save space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: