Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating delayed echo on alternate Output channel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mersip

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Creating delayed echo on alternate Output channel Reply with quote

I'm keen to try and replicate a sound that I've heard on a number of Pink Floyd songs (eg at the 5.14 minute mark on Welcome to the Machine off Wish You Were Here). The lead synth line comes through say the Left channel, and then repeats after a very short delay in the Right channel.

I want to be able to activate this feature in Combi mode, where the first few phrases of the synth line are 'pure' and then the delayed version kicks in, using SW1 or similar.

I'm not sure how to go about creating this. Is the best way to use a second timbre with some sort of effect that delays the sound and puts it into the Right channel, or is there an effect I can turn on which will echo the original line, delay it, and shift it to the Right channel.

Thanks

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are Auto panning Delay effects that let you use AMS to control panning width. I know panning width control determines how far left and right the swing goes from center, but i am not sure of it works as far as keeping it left or right to hold there. “Depth” and “amount” factored in may do the trick.
Then the issue comes how to bring in the delay and take it out while also controlling its panning

Otherwise there is basic manual pan control and then find a way to bring the delay effect in an out. If delay FX cannot be brought in and out by SW1 or 2, then i think you can route delay effect into another FX that can be brought in and out via SW 1&2.

If you really want to get creative, you can record the Panning and FX change scene maneuvers in Sequencer and make it a Pattern RPPR pattern that you can run with touch of a key and stop just as easily without actually running sequencer. May take some surgical level of work but it will save and store there to use always. RPPR cost players the lower two octaves, so it can have draw backs. But it can run any kind of sequencer scene changes by the touch of a key and that is some powerful control over you music especially when using overdub in making your scene snippets.

I bet there are ways to factor Karma and more into making it all happen, but simplest route is better.
Sorry can’t be conclusive with a solution, but i hope you figure something out.
Gunnar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

I think this should be pretty straightforward to do using an "L/C/R Delay" IFX.

Set Left time to 0 (no delay), and Right time to the delay you want, say 500ms. Set the levels so that L and R are maxed and C is at 0 so only the pure L & R delays sound and set Feedback to 0 so it doesn't repeat multiple times. If you listen to this with dry/wet mix set to "wet" it should make the sound you're after.

Then, to set up the switching via SW1 button, set Dry/Wet mix to dry so the effect doesn't sound. This will be your clear un-delayed sound. Then assign AMS source for dry/wet to SW1 and set amount to +100.
Mersip

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, that sounds like exactly what I want. I'll give that a go over the weekend.

Thanks for the help.

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: