Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto beat sync

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliv73

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Auto beat sync Reply with quote

Hello

I saw on videos that Montage has a great feature named Auto Beat Sync.
Arpeggiator can be sync with a real drummer or audio file.

As kronos has so many features and so many triggers , Is it possible to realize the same thing as montage Auto beat Sync ?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with Montage and that feature.

I suppose you are thinking live performance.
With the band.

Drummers get a click track from Kronos.

The terms are sync to midi clock. Google the forum
to see if that matches what you like about Montage

I use tempo, BPM and Karma , drum patterns.
It sounds tight and convincing to my ears
Gunnar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oliv73,

To my knowledge, the Kronos is not capable of picking up a clock signal from an external audio source. But it can sync to an external midi clock, so if you had a small device to turn audio into a midi clock source, you could plug that into the midi in port and set Kronos' clock sync to external, and you have the equivalent setup.

That being said, almost all synths today have the ability to be driven from an external midi clock source, so there is nothing special about the Kronos in this regard, just that it can ALSO do it Smile

GregC, what the montage does is the other way around. You plug a microphone into one of the ports (perhaps it was a dedicated one) and that audio signal is used as the clock source for the Montage. Typically you would take the audio signal from the kick drum. It is one of the things I thought sounded pretty cool about the Montage, though I did also wonder how well it would work in practice when the drummer was warmed up and started adding a few extra syncopated kicks here and there..
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunnar wrote:
Hi Oliv73,

To my knowledge, the Kronos is not capable of picking up a clock signal from an external audio source. But it can sync to an external midi clock, so if you had a small device to turn audio into a midi clock source, you could plug that into the midi in port and set Kronos' clock sync to external, and you have the equivalent setup.

That being said, almost all synths today have the ability to be driven from an external midi clock source, so there is nothing special about the Kronos in this regard, just that it can ALSO do it Smile

GregC, what the montage does is the other way around. You plug a microphone into one of the ports (perhaps it was a dedicated one) and that audio signal is used as the clock source for the Montage. Typically you would take the audio signal from the kick drum. It is one of the things I thought sounded pretty cool about the Montage, though I did also wonder how well it would work in practice when the drummer was warmed up and started adding a few extra syncopated kicks here and there..

Excellent explanation . Thanks !
oliv73

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for reply.
I would have been great if kronos could sync to real drummer ( In order to make some tests and see if it can be used in reality)

Gunnar , as you wrote I have no idea too about how Montage manage it in practice. I only saw videos. But I am very curious about it .
Gunnar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliv73 wrote:
Hi

Thanks for reply.
I would have been great if kronos could sync to real drummer ( In order to make some tests and see if it can be used in reality)

It isn't exactly what you are after, and your success rate might vary, but you do have "tap tempo", so if you are looking to line up, say, delay with the current playing beat, you could get away with it that way. For long runnings arps, perhaps less so :/

You might want to google for a audio->midiclock device, though..
oliv73

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

up to now I found on internet D.I.Y. solutions but nothing "professional" .
Maybe I will check better
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: