Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos - LS - Volume going up and down by itself.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plutohall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Kronos - LS - Volume going up and down by itself. Reply with quote

The volume goes up and down all by itself on my Kronos LS. It is quite pronounced. It started about 3 months ago and would just drop once in awhile (every 20 hours playing time). Then suddenly it has started doing it drastically Down and then back up every minute and sometimes every few seconds.
Anyone else have the same problem????

(To the shop it goes - worst time for this to happen - gigs).
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the same thing, figured out it was the vector joystick. It's assigned to volume on many combo's and programs. Turned it off on the combo's and programs I use, problem gone.
plutohall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Thank you, Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the tip!! I did that - turned off the vector volume for patches and so far so good. Saved the day.
oliv73

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only vector can cause such issues.

One day an external midi devices has sent data to put volumes to 0.
I never found where I could get them to their normal level again even if all informations on kronos displayed normal volume values.
I tried to change every level I saw but never get results.
I solve the problem by rebooting kronos
plutohall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: NONE OF THESE FIXES WORKING Reply with quote

Well, None of the above fixes are working. I turned the vector volumes off for patches and combinations used (as well as other vector control) AND rebooted. The volume is again going up and down all on it's own on my Korg Kronos. This keyboard is only 1.5 years and has been VERY lightly used. Not even gigged on as took time off.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: NONE OF THESE FIXES WORKING Reply with quote

plutohall wrote:
Well, None of the above fixes are working. I turned the vector volumes off for patches and combinations used (as well as other vector control) AND rebooted. The volume is again going up and down all on it's own on my Korg Kronos. This keyboard is only 1.5 years and has been VERY lightly used. Not even gigged on as took time off.

that might be pedal or midi related.

I would disconnect all and turn off all controllers in Global.
plutohall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Tried that too - Still not working Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice - HOWEVER...

That was the first thing I tried. Was disconnect all pedals. (I did not turn controls off in Global). Wasn't using any controls - just playing when it still did it.

Keyboard is in repair shop now. They are baffled. Waiting for it to do it while in shop. I'm scared this might get expensive and it might not do it for hours of playing. Prior to turning off vector control and volume it did it less, and was less pronounced but still is doing intermittently. (This has always been a very intermittent thing so change could be unrelated to vector control change I made as time frame was very short to test out).
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tried that too - Still not working Reply with quote

plutohall wrote:
Thanks for your advice - HOWEVER...

That was the first thing I tried. Was disconnect all pedals. (I did not turn controls off in Global). Wasn't using any controls - just playing when it still did it.

Keyboard is in repair shop now. They are baffled. Waiting for it to do it while in shop. I'm scared this might get expensive and it might not do it for hours of playing. Prior to turning off vector control and volume it did it less, and was less pronounced but still is doing intermittently. (This has always been a very intermittent thing so change could be unrelated to vector control change I made as time frame was very short to test out).

intermittent problems are tricky.

I interpret, that the service center is unable to duplicate the problem ? And they are charging you by the hour ? Thats sucky.

There is +7 yrs of service history on Kronos. Less on LS but I guess the internals are mostly identical.

Your service center should have a check list to go by. If its not midi, it has to be component or mobo related.

They should also check all connections and connectors inside. That is basic stuff.

You could talk to them and have them explain, in some detail, what they did.
And exactly what they recommend.

After that, its your call what to do. Replacing components based on trial and error is expensive guesswork.
plutohall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the input Reply with quote

Thanks for the input!

They are going to see if there are any updates. If not, I'm getting it back, and will have to keep dealing with it until it just goes out.

Not too happy with Korg right now. I had the Triton and had that in the shop A LOT (was gigging quite a lot at the time). For this kind of money, I expect more robust system.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the input Reply with quote

plutohall wrote:
Thanks for the input!

They are going to see if there are any updates. If not, I'm getting it back, and will have to keep dealing with it until it just goes out.

Not too happy with Korg right now. I had the Triton and had that in the shop A LOT (was gigging quite a lot at the time). For this kind of money, I expect more robust system.

I think everyone would agree with you. Nobody likes mystery problems

This does not help -ou can read about potential design flaws with the K's on this forum - where the boards are gigged regularly.

If the problem occurs daily, with normal use, lets say 3 hours per day, I would gripe to Korg about non reliability.

Or push back on your retail dealer- saying the defect took some time to occur.
I don't think anyone would be nonchalant on a 18 month old board. To me,
18 months is almost new.

If the issue occurs once per week, thats a bit more tolerable.

I am not saying thats ok- its where patience is tested.

I never move my 7 yr old Kronos 88. I hammer away, 3 hours per day, writing songs. If I had the your LS problem daily, it would be intolerable.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of a car that had what seemed like electrical faults.
No starts at random. Alarm going off and staying on.

Poked around the fuses and wires to find a route to kill the horn.
Found a way kill the horn but was not satisfied because no horn is safety hazard for the crazy driver i was helping.
So pulled all the main fuses and reinserted them and that got the car to start and reset the horn.

But another day, the car died and ended up towed to the mechanic shop. Once there, mechanic started the car up and no issues showed.
He called the owner to pick it up and get the report of no faults found and no repairs made.

Car got driven home and was not starting the next day. So i got the call that time ,and went over. Looked over every wire and connection point, every fuse and then tracked them to the computers and the control modules.
Also the diagnostic port to insert diagnostic reader.

I had no way to test control modules or the main computer but i did recall the first day, the owner telling once upon a time they wiggled the diagnostic reader interface and got the car to start.
I had no such luck when i tried it during a previous trouble shoot of the car.

So the last time i went there trouble shooting, i went to look closer at it.
Becase it sounded like what would happen if a car was towed and bumped around in the process, making the loose connections fumble into a fault or out of a fault such as the car miraculously starting up right after being towed and dropped at the Mechanic’s.

Looked closer at the diagnistic reader insertion point and the wires behind it. Did more than just a wiggle and fumble. I pushed and pulled the wires in and and out of the harness. Was not much play until i pushed them in really hard and then they snapped about a centimeter farther into their seating point. Car started right up and i never got a call again about the issue.
While i was there, i recalled a story of a broken washer and dryer. Would not come on at all. Like no power.
I went to the circuit breaker box and checked to see any faults. One breaker was engaged to break circuit. So i reset it and asked to try the washing machine. It worked. So i showed the owner where to look and what to do any time the issues came again.
No more issues after that.

That car was a simple fix from an intermittent issue that even stumped the technician that had towed it to the shop. I suspect it was a technician from a previous repair job who had stick his diagnostic reader in and later pulled on it so hard that is pulled the wire tips out of their seating, just enough to stay attached but not in full or secure contact with connection point. Multi point connector and contacts that would rotate their contact fault issues and create random responses depending on which contact point was faulting. One day the alarm system and other days the entire starting of the car. Other days, the headlights and other days the dash board warning lights.
It was really fumbling signals to the computerized control system in a tricky and complicated way.
A system that intertwined the starter, security system and engine diagnositcs all in one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: