Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many Korg Pa700 owners ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: How many Korg Pa700 owners ? Reply with quote

Having owned a Pa700 since November would like to know how many other members have purchased a Pa700? Are you glad you did ?
fisher.korg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one since January. Its a deep instrument, but, having not had one in that price range before, getting the best out of it is a bit of a complex puzzle.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you keep asking the same question rather than refresh the original?
Cossie69

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Korg Pa700 Reply with quote

I purchased a Korg pa700 recently. I am a guitarist and vocalist and I'm hoping I can use the pa700 to sequence backing tracks using its many styles.

I have not got far yet and I need to find out a lot of stuff about the pa700 in order to create backing tracks I can use on the bandstand. A number of things I am trying to find out include

1. Can a midi file created by band in a box or Ireal pro etc be imported
into the Pa700 to extract the chord progression and then can a
a Pa700 style be selected to alter how the midi file sounds ie same
chords are played but with a different style ie Rhumba instead of the
samba feel of the midi file for instance?

2. Entry of chords in step backing sequence mode is cumbersome. Can
the order of the chord types be changed so that the chord types most
commonly used can be placed in the first column for easier
reference

3. How can markers be used to repeat sections of a song which would
cut down the number of bars that need to be sequenced due to
song sections that are repeated be repeated with a marker instead
of manually entering each bar of the song.

4. Has anyone used an ipad to playback midi files created with the
Pa700. Korg sells a IOS sound module that allows korg sounds
in midi files to be played back on an IOS device such as an Ipad
Has anyone tried this out? If so how did it go?

Also are people mainly using the pa700 as a musical instrument - ie piano - or as a sequencing device or both? I come from Australia - the 51st state of the US. i don't know how many people have bought a Pa700 downunder but not many of the people who sell 'em seem to know much about 'em
Wavemaker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got mine yesterday after 10 years with pa1xpro, great value for money and great sound quality cheap plastic structure everywhere though....

i do miss some styles from my pa1x for certain song arrangements but the dance bank of pa700 combined with kaoss pad kicks ass on the djs!!!!
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Pa700 Reply with quote

Cossie69 wrote:
I purchased a Korg pa700 recently. I am a guitarist and vocalist and I'm hoping I can use the pa700 to sequence backing tracks using its many styles.

I have not got far yet and I need to find out a lot of stuff about the pa700 in order to create backing tracks I can use on the bandstand. A number of things I am trying to find out include

1. Can a midi file created by band in a box or Ireal pro etc be imported
into the Pa700 to extract the chord progression and then can a
a Pa700 style be selected to alter how the midi file sounds ie same
chords are played but with a different style ie Rhumba instead of the
samba feel of the midi file for instance?

2. Entry of chords in step backing sequence mode is cumbersome. Can
the order of the chord types be changed so that the chord types most
commonly used can be placed in the first column for easier
reference

3. How can markers be used to repeat sections of a song which would
cut down the number of bars that need to be sequenced due to
song sections that are repeated be repeated with a marker instead
of manually entering each bar of the song.

4. Has anyone used an ipad to playback midi files created with the
Pa700. Korg sells a IOS sound module that allows korg sounds
in midi files to be played back on an IOS device such as an Ipad
Has anyone tried this out? If so how did it go?

Also are people mainly using the pa700 as a musical instrument - ie piano - or as a sequencing device or both? I come from Australia - the 51st state of the US. i don't know how many people have bought a Pa700 downunder but not many of the people who sell 'em seem to know much about 'em

Google

Korg Video Manual PA 700

There are the official Korg tutorials where watching them will answer your queries far better that us giving you a long written explanation.

All your questions are also answered in the Manual
msdos622wasfun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought one a couple of weeks ago. Love it.

The last keyboard I had that was any kind of "arranger" was a Yamaha PSR-640.

Quite a leap.

Although, I used to own a Yamaha MOXF6, but as most of you know that's more of a synth workstation as opposed to an arranger.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Pa700 - SMF tracks updatet with Style-Acc-Sequences Reply with quote

Cossie69 wrote:
... people have bought a Pa700 downunder but not many of the people who sell 'em seem to know much about 'em ....

Unfortunately this is a common phenomenon of our time, not limited to Downunder or any keyboard brand. That seems to be because few users are concerned with the technical features and applications that modern and well-parameterizable instruments like Pa-Keyboards offers.
The knowledge is correspondingly low and - in addition - one is content with randomly found features and thus hardly uses more than 10% of the available possibilities.

So on specific questions - you hardly can find in tutorials - you mostly get no reasonable or the succinct answer, one should deal with manuals or videos or
Biggles wrote:
All your questions are also answered in the Manual
. NO - they are not.

Only simple questions are to answer after reading the manual, but there are not described applications and how to use a little more demanding functions. Recommentations to the study the manual for slightly more complex questions you get from less experienced users because itself seems to be overwhelmed for offering a suitable solution.

So please do not be disappointed by meaningless answers - usually some user not even will understood your questions and that should be the case with "using Pa-styles to produce sequences for backing tracks".
Cossie69 wrote:
...I'm hoping I can use the pa700 to sequence backing tracks using its many styles. Can a midi file .. be imported into the Pa700 to extract the chord progression and then can a a Pa700 style be selected to alter how the midi file sounds ie same chords are played but with a different style ..

If I understood your question correctly - maybe also I am wrong - you want to use tracks of existing SMFs containing chord progressions, that chords (Midi-Events) should be used triggered with the chord-recognition of the styleplayer, to get another sequence with the same chordprogressions, but rhytmic of the used style.

I never did that, but I think it would not be very difficult and only is a question how to set Midi-In and Midi-Out of your Pa-Keyboard and how to set General Controls (Clock-Send, Clock-Source, Local-Control) for Midi-Synchronisation with an external sequencer.

It will not be necessary to import the source file for it, just use the chord track for chord recognition to start the style player and use its Midi-Out as a new chord track.

Your Keyboard is set to Style-Play-Mode - settings of styleplayer are made in same manner you would use styleplayer manually.

Your SMF-track containing your chord progressions should be prepared, to really contain Midi-events that are suitable to control chord-recognition of your keyboard:
Maybe your SMF-track play like your guitar or keyboard and change chords and do not necessarily go from one chord in its root position to another chord in its root position, but typically switch among roots and the various inversions. There are notes of one chord changing to form the next chord, so most chords have same note in common and there’s no change in these notes when the chords change. If inadvertently not the entire chord but only a single note triggers the Chord Recognition it comes to unsatisfactory results. Therefore, the SMF track has to be corrected accordingly beforehand - also it is recommended to set the recognition-mode to fingered-3.

Now it is important to synchronize your external SMF player with Pa-Keyboard, start SMF with external player and send track with chords to Midi-In of Pa-Keyboard set Midi-In-Control of that track to a channel set to Chord-1 or Chord-2. Midi-Events to this channel would do the same if you would play a chord in the chord recognition area with your styleplayer. Manual Page 841: "Two special Chord channels (programmed in the Global > MIDI > MIDI IN Control page) can be used to receive notes for chord recognition. These notes will be combined with the notes received on the special Global channel."

Starting styleplayer synchronized with external SMF player will use chord-track to recognize chords and will genereate Acc1 - Acc5 (also bass and drums) of Styles and manually changed Variations / Fill / Ending of your Pa-Keyboard. Using Midi-Out to external will send that Midi-Events of Acc1 - Acc5 back to output, to be used as additional chord tracks for your backups!
Same solution may be possible (also never tried) to use sequencer-mode recording as Backup-Sequence (QuickRecord), again using Midi-In-Control with Chord1 or Chord2 recognizing chords from an external device (sequencer, accordion). External Chord-Progressions are received on this channel, same Chord-Progressions you get rhytmically from your styleplayer to be recorded or sent to Midi-Out.
PS: Problems will occur with synchronization, it depends on SW-Sequencer how to set options. I use Cakewalk Pro9 and set its SendMidiSync to "Transmit Midi Start/Continue/Stop/Clock". Pa-Keyboard Clock-Source I set to Internal, Tempo is set to same Tempo as external, set Local Control On and set Synchro-Button Start (blinking) . So I am able to use Start-Keys of Cakewalk to start ext. Sequencer and Pa-Keyboard synchron. Is no superior solution, because Pa-Styleplayer is to stop separately. To start a note-on is necessary on time 1:1.0 to be synchron.

If there would be tempo varying in chord-track, I better use Transmit Midi Song Position of Cakewalk, set Clock Source of Pa-Keyboard to External USB. There you need no Note-On-Event on Pos 1:1:1, but should start ext Sequenzer with "NoChord".

Maybe there are some better solutions for synchronizing using chord-tracks of existing SMFs to be triggered with styles, but had no better idea ad hoc.

Hope that helps.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: