Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 1 -> Kronos 2??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Kronos 1 -> Kronos 2?? Reply with quote

So, I own a Kronos-61 (2011). I have done the following:
    - Replace the original 30GB SSD with a 240GB (yes, replaced)
    - Upgraded to 4GB RAM
    - Upgraded to System 3.1.2
    - Purchased and installed EXs17 and EXs18
    - Used a PRELOAD.PCG from a Kronos 2 (other order of the banks)

I know that the Kronos 2 have a different motherboard and processor, but they are very close in terms of performance.

From a systems point of view, should I consider my Kronos a Kronos/KronosX or a Kronos 2 when I for instance install new libraries?
In my thinking it is completely compatible with a Kronos 2 and I could/should use the K2-library files.

Question Can anyone shed some light on what other differences there there might be, if any?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos 1 -> Kronos 2?? Reply with quote

matro wrote:
So, I own a Kronos-61 (2011). I have done the following:
    - Replace the original 30GB SSD with a 240GB (yes, replaced)
    - Upgraded to 4GB RAM
    - Upgraded to System 3.1.2
    - Purchased and installed EXs17 and EXs18
    - Used a PRELOAD.PCG from a Kronos 2 (other order of the banks)

I know that the Kronos 2 have a different motherboard and processor, but they are very close in terms of performance.

From a systems point of view, should I consider my Kronos a Kronos/KronosX or a Kronos 2 when I for instance install new libraries?
In my thinking it is completely compatible with a Kronos 2 and I could/should use the K2-library files.

Question Can anyone shed some light on what other differences there there might be, if any?

I think you covered it in terms of 'system '

The diff with the Atom is insignificant. IMO.

I don;t know if you ' need ' this:
KRS-07 Sound Pack 3.0

I suppose your goal was to have a K2 inside while maintaining the original 2011 K. So you can purchase any 3rd party sample libs that are 'striped ' for K2 owners. And maintain the important bank references.

Hard to say 100% it will work. In your 2011 OS there might be some code diffs that will conflict with the 3rd party K2 type sample lib. Thats a reach or worst case.
matro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos 1 -> Kronos 2?? Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I think you covered it in terms of 'system '

The diff with the Atom is insignificant. IMO.

I don;t know if you ' need ' this:
KRS-07 Sound Pack 3.0

I suppose your goal was to have a K2 inside while maintaining the original 2011 K. So you can purchase any 3rd party sample libs that are 'striped ' for K2 owners. And maintain the important bank references.

Hard to say 100% it will work. In your 2011 OS there might be some code diffs that will conflict with the 3rd party K2 type sample lib. Thats a reach or worst case.

I agree on the Atom statement. The best of the lot seems to be the D525mw option.

The goal is to able to have a K2 and this one with identical banks, basically reusing the same backup.

I don't use KRS-07 although I do own it. The PRELOAD.* package from the K2 covers that. It have all the programs in KRS-07, but more combis.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a classic K73 and a K2-88. There is no difference in terms of performance. Someone suggested to me that the K2 might have better D/A converters, but I hear no difference.

My K73 is actually better for me right now because I have 2 SSDs installed. I haven’t opened up my K2 yet.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos 1 -> Kronos 2?? Reply with quote

matro wrote:
In terms of software, you indeed can consider your unit a K2, thus download libraries for the K2, since they will refer to the K2's "new order" or programs, combis, drums, etc.

matro wrote:
Can anyone shed some light on what other differences there there might be, if any?
The remaining differences will be limited to a few hardware things (but nothing detectable in terms of sound at the outputs). For example, the K2s heat less because their MBs come with a larger and more efficient heatsink. The K2s are also fitted with additional supports between the PCBs for extra solidity, etc.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos 1 -> Kronos 2?? Reply with quote

matro wrote:

- I know that the Kronos 2 have a different motherboard and processor, but they are very close in terms of performance.
- In my thinking it is completely compatible with a Kronos 2 and I could/should use the K2-library files.

Your both points are absolutely right , your Kronos will be considered and treated as K2 and you can install anything
you like with no limitations ! Very Happy

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
matro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos 1 -> Kronos 2?? Reply with quote

KK wrote:
matro wrote:
In terms of software, you indeed can consider your unit a K2, thus download libraries for the K2, since they will refer to the K2's "new order" or programs, combis, drums, etc.

Thank KK, that was my actual question!

/Mathias
matro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos 1 -> Kronos 2?? Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
matro wrote:

- I know that the Kronos 2 have a different motherboard and processor, but they are very close in terms of performance.
- In my thinking it is completely compatible with a Kronos 2 and I could/should use the K2-library files.

Your both points are absolutely right , your Kronos will be considered and treated as K2 and you can install anything
you like with no limitations ! Very Happy

Thanks Antony!
matro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos 1 -> Kronos 2?? Reply with quote

KK wrote:

matro wrote:
Can anyone shed some light on what other differences there there might be, if any?
The remaining differences will be limited to a few hardware things (but nothing detectable in terms of sound at the outputs). For example, the K2s heat less because their MBs come with a larger and more efficient heatsink. The K2s are also fitted with additional supports between the PCBs for extra solidity, etc.

I am working on improving the cooling and actually changing the sides to something that looks cooler Wink
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos 1 -> Kronos 2?? Reply with quote

matro wrote:
I am working on improving the cooling and actually changing the sides to something that looks cooler Wink

I really hate any noise in a quiet developing environment at night I usually work so my final mod in K-X was a zener
diode in series with Brushless cooling motor and now I do not hear it at all while Kronos works 24 hours , even
under 40 degrees of temperature here in my summer sea home !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: