Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between USA A and USA B sockets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weedback

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Difference between USA A and USA B sockets Reply with quote

Hi

I would like to know if there is real technical difference between the the two USB connector (A and B) on the back of my Korg Kronos.
Do both provide the same data transfer capabilities? It would seem logical to me that they do, just that the sockets differ due to what you either plug in or out of of your Kronos.

The reason I am asking is because I would like to setup the Kronos Remote app on my ipad pro and I still want to be able to connect my Kronos to my computer via USB.

My understanding is that one needs to buy Apple camera adapter to plug it into the USB-B conenctor. If I do that, I can't use the same cable I use to plug my kronos into my computer to record MIDI in my DAW.

So is it possible to use an adapter to plug Apple Camera connector to my Kronos' USB-A slots, or alternatively, is it possible to plug my Kronos into my puter with a USB-A/USB-A cable?

Or are there any other configurations I should be aware of?

On another note, what are you opinions regarding using a wireless dongle on my Kronos to connect my iPad (via Bluetooth I think it is?) ?
Are there any restrictions with the wireless setup? It does not transmit the audio I believe, correct?
Can you recommend a model?

Thanks a lot!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB B is the one that will do Audio and Midi data back and forth between Kronos and Computer.

USB A will not do Audio but it can do Midi as well as regular USB file transfer for storage. Audio or midi files for storage is no problem but it will not do audio interface for live streaming audio to and from external devices.

USB A will take midi controllers such as Korg Nano pad and be automatically mapped for ready use.

i used to look at Kronos Audio page and see two USB audio channels and i assumed that refelcted the two USB-A ports. So i used to assume they would work like Left and Right audio ins or outs. I was wrong.

Try the iPad app for midi function only, and see if it responds to USB-A port connection. If it were Korg Nano Pad for midi function only, it would work.
Weedback

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response!

But I remain a bit confused here. I have read on the web that USB type A and B and electronically the same, same number of pins etc and they differ just physically to avoid connecting two hosts together.

In any case, we can agree on the fact that I connect my Kronos to my computer to transmit just the MIDI though my USB-A posts correct? (so using a USB cable that has 2 USB-A connectors).
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really just want to use the iPad for the remote app, a setup like this might be your best bet for leaving Kronos USB B free for the computer.

iPad—> Camera Connection Kit —> USB MIDI adapter —> Kronos 5 pin MIDI IN (and possibly MIDI out - not sure if the remote app is bi-directional)

Just make sure the USB MIDI Adapter supports SysEx messages. I’ve had pretty good luck with the M-audio uno, generally speaking, though, there are other brands available in that price range. I don’t use the Kronos remote app so haven’t tested this setup specifically.
Weedback

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks!

If you havent tested, then there might be a chance it wont work? In Theory in could !

I am wondering about wireless setup with the Remote App. Any suggestions?
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t see any reason it wouldn’t work but wanted to include the caveat that I have never used the app.

It looks like the remote app supports wireless Bluetooth MIDI. If you haven’t already bought any specific hardware yet, maybe the app’s creator could give you a recommendation for a Bluetooth MIDI adapter known to work?

Weedback

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your input. Very sound advice.
Truth be told, I have contacted them this morning at that very email address posing such questions.

If they get back to me I will let you guys know what I discovered!

Thanks again!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weedback wrote:
Thanks so much for your input. Very sound advice.
Truth be told, I have contacted them this morning at that very email address posing such questions.

If they get back to me I will let you guys know what I discovered!

Thanks again!

Thanks. let us know. I could use some better info about it also.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the Kronos USB A ports (the two rectangular USB connectors) were both USB host interfaces that connect to USB peripherals (like external MIDI controllers or mass storage devices)...and that the Kronos USB B port (the smaller square connector) lets the Kronos connect as a USB peripheral to another USB host (like a computer)...another difference is that the USB A connectors supply +5V power to connected USB peripherals, while the USB B connector does not supply power...???...nothing confusing about this...

df
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: