Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone sucessfully installed a SATA3 drive in a Kronos1?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timg11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@andym63, @matro, thanks for the replies,

It was the cloning software. I dug into the manual and identified options that are different from defaults in the restore process. After a few tries, I got it to work.

There are three adjustments to the settings that are required (for Terabyte Image for Linux, but may apply to others)

1) When selecting the target drive in IFL, there is a button for Geometry. Select it and choose "Use Original Geometry". This will match the geometry to the image of the Kronos drive. The defaults don't work. From the IFL manual: "Use Original Geometry to have Image for Linux use the geometry from the backup image that represents the geometry from the environment used to create the backup."

2) On the final set of options before starting the restore, select only "Assume original HD". From the IFL manual: "If you select this option, which mainly applies to Linux partitions, Image for Linux will keep references to the source hard drive number intact within the partitions that have been restored to the target. If you do not select this option and the target drive number differs from that of the source drive, applicable drive references residing within the restored partitions will be updated to reflect the new hard drive number."

3) Do not choose "write standard MBR code". Leaving this unchecked does not mean that a new drive is left with no MBR boot code. When it is not selected the boot code from the original disk is written, which is what is required. If it is selected, the "standard" boot code that is written does not work.

Following this process with resizing the partition (first the extended partition, then the /korg/rw user partition within it), results in 221G available as reported by the Kronos.
timg11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the SSD, put all 100 screws back int the bottom, and moved the K back to my studio rack. Now I boot it up, and the size has returned to 27G total, and 3.5G free. How can that be?

I took a photo of the Disk Media Info screen showing 211G free space when I booted it up to check on the re-sizing, so I thought it was good.

Edit - I must have skipped the final step in gparted in the re-sizing.

Three steps necessary:
1) Resize the Extended Partition to include all free space
2) Resize the /korg/rw Partition inside the Extended partition to include all free space
3) Grow the Filesystem of /korg/rw to fill the larger partition.

I must have forgot to apply the 3rd step, leaving the file system small. Apparently the Disk Media Info showed the free space in the partition, but then the Kronos tried to "fix it" later by removing the free space.

One more trip through gparted, applying step 3, seems to have done the trick. I've restarted several times, and the new size seems to be retained.
matro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: