Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Templates for Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poseidon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Templates for Kronos Reply with quote

Are there any templates ( similar to Logic Pro X when you start a new project ) for Kronos anywhere on the Net ?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Templates for Kronos Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Are there any templates ( similar to Logic Pro X when you start a new project ) for Kronos anywhere on the Net ?

I don't know Logic Pro

Kronos has about 6 templates or styles in the Preload folder.

Or its on the DVD

IMO, you can use many of the Programs and use the Split feature
Poseidon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Templates for Kronos Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Or its on the DVD

GregC, I can't find it.
Thanks to you I actually did check DVD for the first time.
I've always thought there is no need as these are restore disks only ( I was wrong!) I found some goodies like MIDI implementations.

My Kronos 2 (88-keys) was already preloaded with ver. 3.1.2 OS, and DVD content is like this - (https://s33.postimg.cc/64dect327/img200.jpg)

In Extra Sound Data there is only:

KRS-06 Bonus organs.PCG
KRS-06.PCG
PRELOAD_KRONOSX.PCG

I am keen to have few templates ( Orchestral ... etc ) for 16 channel MIDI tracks. ( no splits! ) I am in process of making few however the effects and routing and so on is quite challenging. I have never been good at sound engineering and I am new to Kronos since I join forum.
If I have a such template done by Pros I could learn a lot, and with just few changes It could save me hours.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 18 template songs you can access on Page Menu Command in Sequencer Mode (Parameter Guide p.637).
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the existing Programs and Combis could be considered as templates, or starting points for further modification by copying the Program or Combi to an unused location and experimenting with it.

runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Any of the existing Programs and Combis could be considered as templates, or starting points for further modification by copying the Program or Combi to an unused location and experimenting with it.

Yes, good call. This is also good for copying fx over from a combi or programme.
I do that a lot and then add or change the programmes. This also works on any external synths.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Templates for Kronos Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
GregC wrote:

Or its on the DVD

GregC, I can't find it.
Thanks to you I actually did check DVD for the first time.
I've always thought there is no need as these are restore disks only ( I was wrong!) I found some goodies like MIDI implementations.

My Kronos 2 (88-keys) was already preloaded with ver. 3.1.2 OS, and DVD content is like this - (https://s33.postimg.cc/64dect327/img200.jpg)

In Extra Sound Data there is only:

KRS-06 Bonus organs.PCG
KRS-06.PCG
PRELOAD_KRONOSX.PCG

I am keen to have few templates ( Orchestral ... etc ) for 16 channel MIDI tracks. ( no splits! ) I am in process of making few however the effects and routing and so on is quite challenging. I have never been good at sound engineering and I am new to Kronos since I join forum.
If I have a such template done by Pros I could learn a lot, and with just few changes It could save me hours.

Sorry about the mis-info. Now you know you can load an Orchestra template
in SEQ mode.

You might have noticed your K has 52 Orchestra combis. Many of them are very good for experimenting.

While you could select an Orchestra Combi by way of the Template process,I do not prefer that process.

If I were you, I would find an Orchestra combi that I like and copy it into the SEQ.

You would have to learn the SEQ and if you record, I find the SEQ very convenient for song writing, etc.

I have experimented with loading full orchestras plus other Sound Engine programs( piano, drawbar organ, E guitars, ) into the SEQ/Song for my originals, using up to 16 midi tracks. I ran into polyphony problems quickly.

There are some work arounds.

Anyway, due to polyphony, I don't use full blown Orchestra + other instruments on 16 tracks. I use string sections in most songs, and other orchestra(horns) instruments, mostly making an appearance for a bridge or a verse.

Here is an example, my cover of a movie soundtrack from an old James Bond movie:
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994/you-only-livewav
Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
There are 18 template songs you can access on Page Menu Command in Sequencer Mode (Parameter Guide p.637).

Thank you. I have no idea how could I miss it. Probably due to my "Combi eccentric" mind.

GregC wrote:

You would have to learn the SEQ and if you record, I find the SEQ very convenient for song writing, etc.

I use SEQ quite often, but only for catching ideas during practice times or own solo performances, and composing/song writting is done in Logic Pro X.
I've found COMBI better suited for Logic Pro X, less troubles!
Using SEQ I had even one nasty crash, that Kronos has to be forced to shut down, it would not respond to any key press or touch screen.

GregC wrote:

I have experimented with loading full orchestras plus other Sound Engine programs( piano, drawbar organ, E guitars, ) into the SEQ/Song for my originals, using up to 16 midi tracks. I ran into polyphony problems quickly.

So that's why those song templates never cover more then 8 tracks.
I was wondering if Kronos is simply under-powered.

Concluding I still don't have fully fledged 16 track template. I can make up to 6 tracks, any numbers above are usually not satisfactory to me, I am too dumb to engineer such arrays of effects (etc) working together in harmony. It's gonna be even harder as there must be done some compromises due to polyphony limits you mention.

It looks like there is a long winding road ahead of me, but that's good.

I thank you each of you for inputs!
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the polyphony issue, (I've not encountered this problem yet), the open sampling system seems to be a good alternative.
Depending on the kind of music you are playing, if you worry about polyphony, you can prepare and record all your song base (possibly with audio trakcs if needed), sample it into stereo wave file. Then, in a new SEQ file, insert this previous audio file, and then record what you want in midi and audio file.
Doing that, you have released all polyphony you can used now.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

Thank you. I have no idea how could I miss it. Probably due to my "Combi eccentric" mind.

GregC wrote:

I use SEQ quite often, but only for catching ideas during practice times or own solo performances, and composing/song writting is done in Logic Pro X.
I've found COMBI better suited for Logic Pro X, less troubles!
Using SEQ I had even one nasty crash, that Kronos has to be forced to shut down, it would not respond to any key press or touch screen.

GregC wrote:

So that's why those song templates never cover more then 8 tracks.
I was wondering if Kronos is simply under-powered.

Concluding I still don't have fully fledged 16 track template. I can make up to 6 tracks, any numbers above are usually not satisfactory to me, I am too dumb to engineer such arrays of effects (etc) working together in harmony. It's gonna be even harder as there must be done some compromises due to polyphony limits you mention.

It looks like there is a long winding road ahead of me, but that's good.

I thank you each of you for inputs!

You can preserve polyphony by operating your K in ' live ' mode

Instead of the default , which is Studio. ( that reserves polyphony for 16 tracks)

Global/Basic/System Prefs- Mute Mode ( see 2 choices)

Write the change in Global.

If you work in SEQ, feel free to push Polyphony with multiple tracks. When you start to hear annoying clicks and pops, you will hear the limits of polyphony ( due to processing horsepower).

You can overcome some of the issue in SEQ by going to Track Parameter, and check boxing a Priority for a midi channel that is eating polyphony.
You can share FX among midi channels which saves Polyphony.

FX management is an entire topic by itself.

Lots of little details. These will come in handy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: