Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos memory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Norman Bonus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Kronos memory Reply with quote

I’ve recently bought the Korg Kronos LS and want to use its sequencer in a live environment making full use of the audio track facility.
We know about 2 hours worth of material but apparently the Kronos can only hold 80 minutes worth of audio so I need to address this shortfall !
Will adding a second hard drive ( internal ) solve this ?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos memory Reply with quote

Sir Norman Bonus wrote:
I’ve recently bought the Korg Kronos LS and want to use its sequencer in a live environment making full use of the audio track facility.
We know about 2 hours worth of material but apparently the Kronos can only hold 80 minutes worth of audio so I need to address this shortfall !
Will adding a second hard drive ( internal ) solve this ?

Kronos latest models like the LS, come with enough hard drive in solid state form, to hold more than two hours of audio files and load them fast.
But to continuosly stream them has limits. You can load a new 80 minute stream every 80 minutes, to pick up where the last one left off. An have days of streamings worth, of such files, ready to load from SSD.
I stream audio files direct from External USB input as well as internal SSD.

I saw 93 minutes sample time quoted in parameter guide, but it is with the RAM streaming of audio files or samples. Of course that said with over 500mb of Free RAM space. And no you cannot add more RAM to the latest model Kronos. They are maxed out. So you have to manage RAM loading to leave more room to Sample.

I am not too familar with audio track streaming and how or where it holds its audio content. It should have a limit just like Midi tracks have a combined total limit of 400,000 units of midi data.
If the Audio track suite is really limited to 80 minutes total, i do not think more SSD will help because even at 60gb with only 5GB available, that is enough to store so much high bit audio, 2 hours would barely come half way to filling 5GB.
Sample to SSD allows only 80 minutes continuous sample, so that should limit audio files to 80 minutes. So the SSD partition for audio streaming has been limited per each sample or audio clip.

I wonder of the limit is in the format, such that kronos would not stream more than 80 minutes even if more than 80 had been recorded or sampled on another device that alllows more than 80, then sent by USB to kronos to be streamed.

I think 80 minutes is the maximum because of continuous recorded sample or audio to SSD. RAM will go as long as its memory space goes.
Maybe a compromise to Mono can double the stream time available.
Not sure how or if using RAM works in Audio track setting -but it should be the same as with sampling if it works.

I think using the 80 minute limit is not a dead end for a two hour set.
80 minutes is just continuous streaming of one Audio clip.
If your song is a two hour continuos song or something like this:
https://youtu.be/0U2zJOryHKQ
then maybe a dead end and thus maybe rethink the need for a two hour song or accept that Kronos just isn’t into that kind of music.
If you can play for 1 hour and then take a break, then you can simply load from SSD, a different 80 minute audio file or song that picks up where the other left off.

In reality, Kronos has enough SSD to stream days worth of music. The issue is the length of a single continuous stream. More SSD will not change continuous stream length. Managing RAM may be able to add more continuos stream time if streamed from RAM.
I think easier to make two 1-hour streams with one picking up where the other left off. Take a few minutes break in between and load the next one.
Or even 4 twenty minute streams that run together and then another 4 loaded afterwards where each picks up where the previous left off.
Sir Norman Bonus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that 19naia, some very useful pointers in your reply to my post.
It wouldnt be a continuous stream but say 12 to 14 separate songs of no more than 4 minutes per song in each set.
Ill have to do a dummy run and see what happens although shipping another 12 or so songs in during the interval, off an external HD seems feasible !

Many thanks for your input much appreciated
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to max. size of streaming from disk in the same setup based on max. Ram usage 1,95Gb and my test with 10 Pianos
of 55 GB before 7 years , then if you split your performing audio files (as per sample) let's say 20 minutes each one then you can
use over 60 Gb of audio samples in streaming mode in the same setup which obviouly means not hours but days of performing !!!

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Norman Bonus wrote:
Cheers for that 19naia, some very useful pointers in your reply to my post.
It wouldnt be a continuous stream but say 12 to 14 separate songs of no more than 4 minutes per song in each set.
Ill have to do a dummy run and see what happens although shipping another 12 or so songs in during the interval, off an external HD seems feasible !

Many thanks for your input much appreciated

I hope you know that wav files or audio file to be brought into sequencer audio tracks, have to be in Internal SSD to load. ?
SSD has more than enough space to store the content.

https://youtu.be/nOMFjOiZ5IE

Pay attention to the part of the video where he says first to copy the file from the USB memory stick to the internal solid state drive.
If you have that part already done before the show starts, you have shaved time off the process of shipping in files during interludes.

I am still not certain about Audio track limits, but i read from Parameter guide page 677, sampling mode details. 80 minutes is the max sample length that will be recorded to SSD. It also charted sample time for sample to RAM and that was based on available RAM where 512mb available RAM would hold 93 minutes of a continuos mono sample or 46 minutes of one continuos stereo sample. I simply assumed a safe guess that if Audio tracks had a limit, it would b the same as sampling.
I will look again for audio track details in Parameter guide.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parameter guide confirms that you are right about 80 minute limit to record one continuos take. And it sounds like that is per each track, recorded to internal SSD. SSD definitley is big enough to handle multiple 80 minute takes as well as store many more on the side.
Not sure if that 80 minutes gets fractioned down if you record 4 audio tracks at once. 4 tracks is the limit for one recorded take.

Page 514 Parameter guide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hard disk recorder section
• You can use up to 300,000 audio events (or 400,000 MIDI events), up to 200 songs, and up to 999 measures per song.
• Sixteen audio tracks are provided. Each track provides linear 16-bit PCM recording, with a maximum length of 80 minutes for one recorded take.
• Automation data (volume, pan, EQ, send 1/2) can be recorded for each track.
• Sixteen tracks can be played back simultaneously, and four tracks can be recorded simultaneously.
• The Stereo Pair function lets you control two adjacent tracks by adjusting just the odd-numbered track. This lets you simultaneously make mixer settings for a pair of stereo-recorded tracks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sir Norman Bonus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes folks I’m aware audio files have to be loaded onto the internal SSD. I’m going to try loading a 60 minute set onto the internal SSD then load a 2nd 60 minute set after it, see what happens. Also I will try importing a 2 hour set in one lump and see what happens !!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: