Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oasys sound better than Kronos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synthee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Oasys sound better than Kronos? Reply with quote

I was looking at a Youtube video where Ty Unwin shows his studio and his synths.

At 1.08 he says that Oasys sounds better than The Kronos.
Is it even possible to detect a difference in the sound?

They both have basically the same software, so its the same digital audio, and I guess Kronos even has better DACs.

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they sound the same. I believe thats the overall understanding.

Some will assert otherwise- I think thats opinion.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oasys better sounding ? Nope. Both use similar converters, etc. As well, Dan at Korg, which in my book knows a lot more about both synths than anyone telling a personal opinion, confirmed the same in the past. And one can't even compare similarly named patches/combis on both, since they are not programmed the same - the Kronos offers more parameters, etc.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have engineer ears, but my OASYS and Kronos sound the same to me. In many instances, the Kronos song files will sound better, because the OASYS (16 bit recorder) doesn't allow for 24 bit recording. With all the recording I do, I love that I can hand in 24 bit files, made on Kronos.
matro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will always find these people that want to justify their opinion.
Like someone did recently, he posted a video where someone compared a Yamaha MOXF, Kronos X and Kurzweil Forte in respective (MOXF, Kronos, Kurzweil) facebook group and asked which was the better sounding.
I guess you can predict the result, most people in the each group thought "their" synth sounded the best. Rolling Eyes
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matro wrote:
You will always find these people that want to justify their opinion.

I guess you can predict the result, most people in the each group thought "their" synth sounded the best. Rolling Eyes

I noticed that, too. Folks will almost always 'love' their purchase. It is part objective, and part emotional.

if the keyboard is a total dud, we might hear some unhappiness on that choice.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/9zAUCkNmFzo

Its all about the sound in the end, no matter what make or model we look at. But the utility makes life with good sounds, so much better.

Most people compare only preset sounds when it comes to keyboards of any utility level.
But with utility and sound quality of both Kronos and Oasys, who says you can’t play from Kronos or Oasys ,the sounds of that newest edition of the Yamaha MODX Synth featured in the youtube link above. ?
Last time i read about some people, some have kronos and roland. Some have Kronos and Yamaha.
Some have Kronos, Oasys, virus T, deep mind and more, all together.
And all of them because of sound, and Kronos or Oasys because of Utility plus sound.

Plunking the real version of the acoustic pianos sounds better than SGX.
Does Oasys have SGX? How many synth engines is Oasys missing when compared to Kronos?
Do those entirely missing Oasys synth engines count as better sounds than what kronos has, where kronos actually has those synth engines and Oasys does not have them?
Even on the Utility end, Kronos is better than Oasys, at both hardware level and other features outside of just sounds and sound quality.

People go following only the better sound trail and end up at some keyboard with very limited utility.
Like that pretty wife with a sweet voice, but can she cook like you never wanna be late for dinner?
Can she take care of your needs like you will never run too far off looking to fill a gaping black hole in your sense of being “alright to go” with what you got?
Sure you can divorce her every year and get a new up and coming model, but is divorcing so often, really a stable life?
Hard to beat Kronos or Oasys especially with their sound and utility being relevant even after more than 10 years.
Easy to be loyal to her, but didn’t stop my eyes from straying to that young and slim Yamaha MODX synth. Not that i would bring her home, but i would go out on a little date with her to get to know her a bit, maybe have her sing to me a little bit while run my fingers through her........ Ummmmm.

I digress. Sorry.

https://youtu.be/ZYzfUE12bF4

Last edited by 19naia on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
matro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of different boards from different vendors, I know where you are coming from. To me it is all about being able to create the sounds I "hear in my head" AND, very important, inspire me with presets, expansion, etc.
The new MODX is a scaled down Montage and is seems that the focus during the introduction is on the FM-X engine, which is a cool engine to be honest in particular since you with ease can layer 4,6,8 of them. MOD-7 is a more flexible engine, though...

I have come to learn that most keyboard players are preset users. Minimal tweaking. The board can be very competent and deep, they couldn't care less.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in all, we can rely on Mike Conway's opinion as he get the two synths ! So, we can be sure he know what he is speaking about.
jbeliz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought my Oasys sounded better than my Kronos for some reason as well comparing the same patches not sure if it had to do with the effects or what but thats my opinion as well. Kind of like when you compare the Roland Integra 7 to the previous models people say it sounds different because of the newer dsp and effects processor i believe it is the same here.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Ty Unwin says about the Oasys Kronos comparison is just a load of pure nonsense and wishful thinking from my view. Both the technical specs and extensive hearing tests of lots of people, after the arrival of the Kronos years ago, have clearly shown, that the Oasys does not have any tiny little bit of sonic superiority over the Kronos, really zero. Even some Korg staff has chimed in back then, when we had this silly discussion, and confirmed that it is techically and practically absurd to claim that the Oasys sounds better.

There is only one area where the Oasys is superior, and that's build quality and physical surface UI (especially the adjustable screen angle).

Else the Kronos beats the Oasys in every other way, and is vastly superior, including recording quality. And the Kronos meanwhile is really light years ahead of the Oasys in OS development and sonic flexibility (user streaming, engines etc etc).

It was and still is plain ridiculous, to claim that the Oasys is better sounding. The so called better sound is only at home in the brains of those, who spent a lot of money for their Oasys, wishing to hear that, and definitely not in the instruments, nor in anybody else's ears.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nothing more than sour grapes after having spent a lot of money on an OASYS only to have the Kronos come out a few years later for a third of the original price of the OASYS. I got kicked off another forum because I tried to warn people not to spend 5 figures on an OASYS because that kind of power would be available for a much cheaper price in a relatively short amount of time.

This same inability to accept reality is shown by the prices OASYS owners are asking for them on EBay.
rbox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matro wrote:
I have a lot of different boards from different vendors, I know where you are coming from. To me it is all about being able to create the sounds I "hear in my head" AND, very important, inspire me with presets, expansion, etc.
The new MODX is a scaled down Montage and is seems that the focus during the introduction is on the FM-X engine, which is a cool engine to be honest in particular since you with ease can layer 4,6,8 of them. MOD-7 is a more flexible engine, though...

I have come to learn that most keyboard players are preset users. Minimal tweaking. The board can be very competent and deep, they couldn't care less.

Mod-7 was one big Dissapiontment in my Oasys because it sounds very thin and dry it doesent have the full and warm Sound of an Yamaha Sy77/99 . Its in Theory very flexibel but the results doesent sound right to my ears. The Waveshaper sounds too distorted and harsh. Mod-7 has no Sweepspot in his Soundcharacter sorry to say that...no color , no nice Textur.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbox wrote:
matro wrote:

Mod-7 was one big Dissapiontment in my Oasys because it sounds very thin and dry it doesent have the full and warm Sound of an Yamaha Sy77/99 . Its in Theory very flexibel but the results doesent sound right to my ears. The Waveshaper sounds too distorted and harsh. Mod-7 has no Sweepspot in his Soundcharacter sorry to say that...no color , no nice Textur.

Sorry but it's not the point here ! This thread is about Oasys / Kronos comparison !! (not about SY77-99 / MOD-7 !)
Why don't you open a thread about it ? It'd be interesting.
marc1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tried to warn people not to spend 5 figures on an OASYS

Who ever paid "5 figures" for an Oasys? I mean, don't get me wrong. I know it was expensive back then (about 8000$ for an 88 key Oasys me thinks). But I never heard of "5 figures". Even with all the extra sound banks and exs instruments included , I think, you wouldn't have ended up paying 10 grand.

And having to pay half this price for a Kronos 88 6 years after Oasys is still quite something albeit dissapointing for all the Oasys owners. But then again that's the way all things technological seem to be headed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: