Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA4x - kaoss and right sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliv73

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: PA4x - kaoss and right sounds Reply with quote

Hi

By watching kaoss videos on PA4x I never saw any demonstrators who use arpegios with styles while playing melody with right hand.
Does these kaoss arpegios unable to play right sounds ? or it's just that demonstrators prefer to use right hand to control kaoss ?

oliv
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaoss is a great name!!!

You can activate and manipulate arpeggios with the right hand (e.g. UPPER) sound or manipulate the style in many ways.

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
oliv73

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

But some french PA4x owners just told me that Kaoss is stealing right sounds . So we can not play right sounds when kaoss is running unless we use another keyboard
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - haven't experienced that
alfredokiwi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliv73 wrote:
Yes

But some french PA4x owners just told me that Kaoss is stealing right sounds . So we can not play right sounds when kaoss is running unless we use another keyboard

Unfortunately Pa4X use a DM3725 single core ARM CPU/DSP which is to weak to run all the features properly. At the same time the cut-in spec from older Pa3X denotes the lack of enough CPU/DSP raw power.

Today CPU/DSP like the AM5728 run 8x faster. A mainboard upgrade on Pa4X is the only way to meet user expectations.

www.facebook.com/alfredokiwi

www.alfredoblogspage.blogspot.com.ar
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliv73 wrote:
Yes

When you say "stealing" - do you mean polyphony exhaustion problems?

Pete Very Happy
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: PA4x - kaoss and right sounds Reply with quote

oliv73 wrote:
Hi

By watching kaoss videos on PA4x I never saw any demonstrators who use arpegios with styles while playing melody with right hand.
Does these kaoss arpegios unable to play right sounds ? or it's just that demonstrators prefer to use right hand to control kaoss ?

oliv

i use the arpeggiator a lot to play melodies with the right hand, the kaos arpeggiator behaves the same as standard arpeggiators on board of synths. It's FANTASTIC!

What you can do is use up till three upper sounds through the arpeggiator function. I use it mainly for EDM or trance styles. You can set it through chord recognition on the arp chord you play, or you can use the chord sequencer to jam freely over the style arrangement with your arps.

The arp can be quickly modified through the kaos touchscreen, the range from the bottom to the top is the intensity (loudness) of the arp sound, the range from left to right determine the arpeggiator type (like up, updown, upcycle, etc.).

Now how to use it in a convenient way:
hold shift and touch the kaos screen, now you will have both hands free for your arpeggiator chords. Now play the chords you want to arpeggiate. A common trick is the top note melody chord technique, this way you play your melody line with the top note of the chord and the other notes determine the chord you play in. What works great is for instance an up arpeggiator in 4th measure where you constantly play three notes. By adding more notes or playing less notes you can vary the arp perception in your melody.

It's absolutely fantastic when you practiced a little bit with it.

There is no note stealing. It's just a standard arpeggiator that uses all three upper sounds in combination with your style. And that is a big plus because this way you can layer sounds during your arp performance.

I will see if i can record a demo of it this weekend. Because indeed i never saw a video online that shows how to use this in a real style example.
oliv73

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Qui

It would be great to have a video demo Wink

I think i understand what you mean about playing technique.
So you must play in "full keyboard" mode without split/left hand otherwise you will not be able to get arp + style acc. ?
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliv73 wrote:
Hi Qui

So you must play in "full keyboard" mode without split/left hand otherwise you will not be able to get arp + style acc. ?

|It does work with the split keyboard, but in that case it will follow the chord structure of the left hand (with the notes played from the chords as an arpeggiator in the upper sounds).

That means that when ever you play any sound on the right hand split, the arp pattern will be played there, so it's a matter of preference. I use both combinations and even the chord sequence. But mainly i use the full hand chord recognition, that gives you the most performance possibilities for your songs.

I will use the different techniques in the video tomorrow, so that it's clear how i use it.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliv73 wrote:
Hi Qui

i've created a demo for you and you can find that demo in the following post on this forum: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=116036
oliv73

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested PA4x with kaoss.
It seems that with kaoss we can arps with rights sounds.
However, it's not possible to add these arps to the current style with left hand and play lead voice with right hand.

Just to precise this fact that was still not clear for me
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliv73 wrote:
I tested PA4x with kaoss.
It seems that with kaoss we can arps with rights sounds.
However, it's not possible to add these arps to the current style with left hand and play lead voice with right hand.

Just to precise this fact that was still not clear for me

yes the kaos is indeed performance only (right sounds). But it doesn't really make sense to add an arpeggiator to lower sounds or style sounds. You already have that in the pads section where you can assign up till 4 arpeggiators for your left hand. there are a lot to choose from, and if there's no pattern you like you can very easy add your own pattern (record button - create new pad).

Since every pad can be synced to your style and even can be routed through the effect section, the possibilities are limitless. I use it for instance in my Jean Michel Jarre Songbook styles. It adds tons of atmosphere with the arp patterns played on top of the style (and even over the lower sound with the style disabled) like in your description. All those features are available in the korg pax series.
oliv73

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that PADS can already play arps on top of styles.
However I think kaoss function with styles could have been great for realtime controls. Maybe in next version ?

But it's not so easy without practice to control kaoss. The only way I know to keep kaoss function after release is to use shift button.
Require some practice.

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: